heads up if you're looking at H100i for 1155/1150

Odellus

[H]ard|Gawd
The posts on the backplate are too tall, so when securing the block with thumbscrews, it won't fit tight and give you good pressure. In my case, temperatures can be dropped by around 10C by pressing on the block with my fingers. I have a 2500k @ 4.5 GHz 1.3V and under Prime95 my hottest core hit 68C (58 with proper pressure) with Corsair's preapplied compound. All you need to do is get some washers and put them under the o-rings already on the bases of the posts. I'm afraid the only surefire way of knowing just how thick they need to be is measuring how far the posts stick out above the motherboard, and then buying appropriate sized washers to make the posts flush with the face of the motherboard.

yeah i wasn't sure if it was specific to my motherboard or not. just wanted to put it out there because from what i've been looking at the past few hours regarding the h100i, this information isn't easily accessible with a simple google search and a couple of minutes of your time.

I have a selection of washers to shim the plate out with, this has been going on for a long time with any cooler that uses the same backplate (some air coolers use it as well). I guess some company made it thinking motherboards were twice as thick as they actually are, very annoying.

Asrock boards are noticeably thinner than Gigabyte Ultra durable or Asus. This is why they are 'Cheap'

Asrock boards are noticeably thinner than Gigabyte Ultra durable or Asus. This is why they are 'Cheap'

Yeah thats right, most problems with backplates looses are with cheap mobos that have problems too with some air coolers, thats 50% of the problems the other 50% are people putting bad the backplate, the backplate on h100/h100i are meant to be in a unique way and people simply not pay enough attention to that.

In my house my brothers, father and me all we use AiO kits, mostly h100, h100i and h80i, never a problem with these kits, in fact i had more kind of troubles with the mount method in the asetek kit water block retainer (oldie h70, h50) more than cool IT kits.. I guess no matter how easy companies make a kit to install, there will be always installation mistakes by the people..

it has nothing to do with how easy the kit is to install, it simply doesn't mount correctly if your motherboard is too thin. i'm pretty underwhelmed by this kit, to be honest. the manual doesn't mention there's a specific way to position the backplate and it also talks about nonexistent airflow indicators on the fans (not really a problem, obviously). Then there's the problem this thread is about and Corsair Link not working in Windows 8.1 without a registry edit, the relatively loud fans that are provided, the mess of wires... i thought people were just expecting too much out of a relatively cheap closed loop water cooler, but i can see now why people are so quick to call this kit lackluster.

is it normal that my temp jumps from ~34 C to ~52 C just doing stuff on the desktop? like launching a program or having a Flash element active in a webpage? it usually shoots right back down to the 30s the next time RealTemp updates. i didn't have this with my Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme, at least not to this extent.

p95 in-place large FFTs after ~20 minutes with default fan profile
http://i.imgur.com/cqE03Nd.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I felt the mounting of my H80i to the Asrock board could have been a little more "snug", but otherwise I've seen no reason to make it more snug. Running along just fine. I do get sudden spikes in temps while doing mundane tasks, but the temps don't go that high and never stay high. I also don't have a problem with temps under synthetic load tests. The stock fans are loud, and I'll be fixing that soon. Really I don't hear them unless doing something CPU intensive. Even then I just set the mode to quiet and they stay pretty low. I actually just leave it set at low 99% of the time, even gaming. Temps stay in check around 60c. Good enough for me.

why all the asrock hating? all manufacturers have high end boards and budget boards. i for one love my asrock x58 extreme6 board. fits my h100i just great.

why all the asrock hating? all manufacturers have high end boards and budget boards. i for one love my asrock x58 extreme6 board. fits my h100i just great.

Don't know. My Asrock is rock stable. :p

Back