Headphones for jacks? Mic for deep voice?

HvyMtl

[H]ard|Gawd
I have seen a lot of headphones using USB, and bypassing the headphone jacks.

I believe (correct if wrong) using USB bypasses your sound card. Since I have nice sound cards, I wish to use the 3.5 jacks.

So, anyone recommend any of the "old fashioned" jack using headphones?

Something budget but good, not hugely expensive, please.

Yes, something with a mic, please. Although, I have found my voice is too deep for the mics on headsets I have used in the past. I seem to overwhelm the mic's ability to handle bass...

So, any good computer headset which has a good mic, or do I need to swap to a separate mic and headset?

Thanks.

Headphones can be as good or as cheap as you want to make them. Budget, where you'll use them (closed vs open), what you plan on doing (mostly gaming?), and what sound card you are planning to use all factor into what's best for you.

There are really nice PC headsets (the Ath linked, the nice beyers) but maybe a cheaper pair with a ModMic or similar is better. Only absolute is that you should stay away from '5.1 surround sound' headphones, and Bose.. :D

Yeah, no Bose XD

Using them for gaming, AND listening to music. My ASuS has Bang and Olufsen sound, so thus the no usb.
I will also be using them on my frankendesktop. (Pondering an upgrade on that, soon.)

Hmm Any difference in sound quality (I presume there has to be) between the "open back" and closed back of that model?

Anything under $200?

Open headphones generally sound a little better, but let in more ambient noise (and let other people hear what you're listening to). It's a trade off, I prefer closed for LANs and at work but open at home.

Hmm.
Would it be better to run with separate mic and headphone? I know you can get more "bang for buck" with no mic headphones over the computer ones.

I personally have a Blue Snowball mic on a boom arm i swing out for voice chat; lets me focus on quality of the headphone without worrying about MIC. In your case; I'd probably buy the best headphone for my style of music and put an AntLion ModMic on it. Can update headphones and Mic independently moving forward. Maybe Sen hd598s as they can be driven fairly well without a strong amp and can be used for extended sessions comfortably.

Hmm.
Would it be better to run with separate mic and headphone? I know you can get more "bang for buck" with no mic headphones over the computer ones.

In short, yes.

There's some decent headsets out there, even from traditional headphone brands like Audio Technica, Sennheiser, and Beyerdynamic... But their equivalent headphone model + a separate mic usually ends up being cheaper (often much cheaper).

The Modmic by Antlion is great (I've had several versions), tho not super cheap ($30-40? I forget)... It's basically the closest thing to an actual headset tho and you can use it with different headphones indefinitely.

The V-Moda Boom mic is cheaper and also pretty good tho it'll only really work with headphones that have a detachable cable and standard 3.5mm jack (once you see it you'll quickly realize why).

I've been meaning to compare both, just haven't gotten around to it. I've got the V-Moda on a pair of Philips Fidelio X2 (not in sig, really needs an update) and the ModMic on my old Beyer DT-880 (great value when on sale close to $200). I sometimes use/leave the X2 in another room, otherwise I'd just use the Modmic with both.

I really should compare both against each other and against the cheap Zalman clip on mic, you'll often see all three recommended if you look around but I don't think anyone's pitted them against each other.

Some headsets like the Logitech G430 come with an USB adapter. You can choose to plug it in as USB or you can detach the adapter and use a sound card.

I own a pair of G430s and they have a clear mic (at least for my voice). The sound quality is not hifi, it's a 7.1 gaming headset but it's suitable for games. Lots of bass in the sound.

Boonie, I have looked at the Logitech, and well, want something a bit more... And I wonder what the "7.1 surround" will do to listening to music. (I listen to anything from present pop, to techno, to hard rock...) and I know the mic won't work well enough.

Hmm. So this is pointing towards separate mic/headset as my voice overwhelms simple microphones.

Worm, and Impulse, I will look into those mics... and how well they handle deep voices. (Really, tho its due to attempting to talk to people via skype/team speak/ventrilo and them hearing mud, as my mic - (via plantronics, and logitech) just simply cannot handle it.

The Astro A40, Sennheiser PC350, and PC360 (replaced by the Game One and Game Zero) had excellent attached boom microphones. I'd start there. If you can spend more I'd look at this antlion mic (goes down to 30hz +/- 3db) plus headphones of your choice.

I think the Antloin mic will have to do, the others are a much higher (70hz - area) and I feel that will still be muddy. Thanks for the link John721.

Boonie, I have looked at the Logitech, and well, want something a bit more... And I wonder what the "7.1 surround" will do to listening to music. (I listen to anything from present pop, to techno, to hard rock...) and I know the mic won't work well enough.

Hmm. So this is pointing towards separate mic/headset as my voice overwhelms simple microphones.

Worm, and Impulse, I will look into those mics... and how well they handle deep voices. (Really, tho its due to attempting to talk to people via skype/team speak/ventrilo and them hearing mud, as my mic - (via plantronics, and logitech) just simply cannot handle it.

If you look for a headset that can also play music you have to pay a bit. Some samples here: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/gaming-headsets

Oh and often 'muddy' mic quality is due to having your mic positioned wrong.

well i know you wish to use your sound card as you probably spent a good amount...

I went and bought a wireless setup from BestBuy.. due to some credit.. and they had 2 wireless ones and I chose the Logitech g930.

one side plus was I have the logitech g510 keyboard and the software manages both pieces..

and so far the best sound I have had and no cords to fuss with... and range is superb.

Boonie, it's a voice being too deep issue. (But, hey, the girls think my voice is sexy...)

Yeah, logitech for mouse and keyboard, I do not want to purchase another headset from them.

No Bose, No Beats, No Skullcandy... I like several of the suggestions so far.

Honestly, I am leaning towards getting the separate mic, and then adding it to a headset.

Anyone like Shure headphones?

I like some of their IEM, haven't tried their full size enough to opine. Most of what I've read has been about closed models too... I tend to prefer open for gaming, tho I use my closed NAD HP50 when the neighbors are being noisy.

The mic in the Sennheiser gaming headphones is fantastic, the frequency response is down to 50. The G4ame One and Zero are essentially the same drivers. The Zero is a closed cup design so will have slightly deeper sounding bass and much better sound isolation. The One being an open design is going to sound better, IMO, if you have a quite place to use them. If you want really deep bass you'll want to look for a different brand.

You're not going to want to use surround for any music.

I've got a pair of 363d and they are easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever used.

Last edited:
hmm Sennheiser or Shure seems to be the question, now...
50mm drivers or 40mm?

Antlion mic will definitely be bought.

Again, great input guys.

For a long time I used a Denon D2000 w/ a modmic. I was really happy with it, being able to use quality cans. But recently I ended up with another setup that I like significantly more, which you may want to consider.

The Phillips Fidelio X1 are the best $200 can I've heard (and I've heard a lot in that price range). They are all sorts of fantastic. Pop on a V-Moda BoomPro and you have the convenience of a headset with a built in mic (only one cable). Want to use them without a mic, and you can put the stock cable back in (although, if you do want to do that, I'd recommend also replacing the stock cable for non-mic use... read the reviews... the stock cable is iffy). Gives you the best of both worlds, IMO. Also, the BoomPro comes with the adapter to convert to two separate 3.5mm jacks if you require that.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back