Headless BlueIris server

MGCJerry

Limp Gawd
I've been wanting to setup a new security system for the house because of suspicious activity that's been going on for awhile now. I bought 2 HD IP cams, and have full intention of using Blue Iris software to manage the cameras...

However, reading the requirements makes me question how well the machine I intend to use will cope with task.

I currently have a Supermicro X7DCL based server with dual L5420 (quad core, 2.5GHz) processors, 24 GB ECC RAM, and 2 RAID 1 arrays (320GB & 1TB), and a "teamed" network interface. Currently running Windows 2003. It has minimal interaction with the internet (uploads only) and is purely a headless operation.

Does anyone who uses Blue Iris on a headless server know if it will work on a server that lacks any video acceleration. We don't intend to use local access on the server and are only interested in the browser/app way of accessing the software.

I'm assuming it will be fine.

That's a lot of headache for 2 cameras. Pop SD cards in the cameras, use the manufactures front end software and forget about Blue Iris?

Your machine should be fine with room to add a few more cameras in the future. I am currently running Blue Iris on a virtual machine and two 4mp bullet cameras and it runs great. With 6 virtual cores and 12 gig of ram cpu usage idles around 22%. I say go for it.

Not only is my Blue Iris server headless, it's running in a VM on Windows Server 2012 R2. Up 24/7 never had a problem with it. The box is set to auto start after a power failure and the VM also auto starts.

Excellent. Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

I managed to score another server for dirt cheap. Dual Xeon E5645 with 24GB ram, and a few 300GB SAS disks. Going to be doing some experiments to see if i can make use of this machine to replace my X7DCL based machine. I'm using some specific hardware that utilizes a 5v pci slot so I have to experiment with adapters/converters.

Back