Head scratcher with Fedora USB install drive

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
I'm a bit confused on the process for creating Fedora install drives....or more specifically, the end result. The Live .iso is 1.9 GB, but when I create a bootable flash drive, using Etcher and the Fedora Media Writer. What's confusing me is the size. Very little is consumed on the flash drive, yet it worked. I was able to boot to a Live environment, and install to the local drive. Here is a screenshot of the flash drive's partitioning. I'm not going to argue with results, I'm just surprised this actually worked.

Fedora.jpg

Are you viewing the partitions in Windows? If so, it can't read ext3/4 partitions unless you install specific software. Plug the same USB into a Linux machine and you'll see that 14.4GB partition has a good bit of files on it. I think even the smallest netiso I've seen is still at least 1GB in size

Are you viewing the partitions in Windows? If so, it can't read ext3/4 partitions unless you install specific software. Plug the same USB into a Linux machine and you'll see that 14.4GB partition has a good bit of files on it. I think even the smallest netiso I've seen is still at least 1GB in size
Looks more like gparted or something similar

Windows might not be able to read ext file systems, but it can tell from the partition table that the space has been allocated as a partition and wont let you do anything with it except delete it.

I'll bet that there's an image file written into the unallocated space.

I was viewing in Windows, but not trying to view the files on the disk. The screenshot is from Partition Wizard, which, I thought, would at least identify EXT3/4 partitions.

Back