HDTV Xbox 360 users?

l337x3r1cx

Limp Gawd
what setting do you use 1080i, 720p, 480p

I just got mine a week ago and I've been running it at 1080i and was wondering what other people were running and if 1080i was the best setting?

I run mine at 720p. 720p means you are getting 60 frames a second and 1080i means you are only getting 30 so most of the time 720p feels smoother.

peltman78 said:
I run mine at 720p. 720p means you are getting 60 frames a second and 1080i means you are only getting 30 so most of the time 720p feels smoother.
is there any difirence in visual quality between the two?

l337x3r1cx said:
is there any difirence in visual quality between the two?

That depends if interlacing is annoying to you or not. Progressive displays the entire image in frames while interlacing displays alternating lines.

Just do whatever your HDTV's native resolution is.

I run at 1080i on a 51 inch rear projection HDTV and it looks fabulous. I've never been able to detect interlacing, and I've tried a couple times ;)

I run 720p. The picture looks much worse at 1080i on my TV for some reason.

720p is 1280x720 res and my HDTV native res is 1366x768. I run mine at 720p as that is closest to the native res. There is no point in running at 1080i if your HDTV doesn't have a native res that high. Most don't.

l337x3r1cx said:
I just got mine a week ago and I've been running it at 1080i and was wondering what other people were running and if 1080i was the best setting?

As the other guys have said, it depends on your TV's native resolution.

If you have a fixed pixel display (eg LCD or Plasma), then the TV cannot physically display 1080i. It will take the 1080i signal coming out from the xbox, deinterlace and resize the video to give you 720p. This results in a loss of quality, so don't do it --just set the Xbox360 to use "720p".

For CRTs (which are usually 1080i native), then the opposite is true. The conversion from 720p -->1080i will result in some loss of quality, so don't do it. Stick to 1080i.

PikachuMan said:
As the other guys have said, it depends on your TV's native resolution.

If you have a fixed pixel display (eg LCD or Plasma), then the TV cannot physically display 1080i. It will take the 1080i signal coming out from the xbox, deinterlace and resize the video to give you 720p. This results in a loss of quality, so don't do it --just set the Xbox360 to use "720p".

For CRTs (which are usually 1080i native), then the opposite is true. The conversion from 720p -->1080i will result in some loss of quality, so don't do it. Stick to 1080i.

I much prefer 1080i on my sony 50' LCD, ive never had an issue with interlacing/deinterlacing that anyone can detect, and everyone ive asked says that 1080i looks better than the 720p when i compare them

Mine is setup at 720p I love the picture Q and it looks great... I've never tried running it at 1080i though, but then again mine is 1280 x 720...

I actually alternate. Some games look better in 720p than 1080i and vice versa. 1080i might be interlaced, but it also looks less pixelated (IMO), too. It is technically a higher resolution after all.
I've read the whole 1080i is only 30fps thing and I think that's a little bit of a myth as it "cheats" using half-frames. I can tell you that visually on the 360 you'll notice no difference at all in framerate...NONE. You'll see a difference between progressive scan and HD resolutions, but not 1080i and 720p.
I'd test 'em both and see which one you think looks better rather than just going with what people say. 720p is better on paper, so you're going to see people posting that more.

Neither. I am using the VGA cable at 1360 x 768 resolution on a 21' LCD PC monitor. It looks great BTW.

l337x3r1cx said:
what setting do you use 1080i, 720p, 480p

1080i on a 57" Sony RP

beautiful picture

Zoramac said:
I much prefer 1080i on my sony 50' LCD, ive never had an issue with interlacing/deinterlacing that anyone can detect, and everyone ive asked says that 1080i looks better than the 720p when i compare them

An interlaced picture will show up on DVD's and TV. If you like at areas that have fine patterns you will noitce a slight flickering, with progressive scan you won't get that. It probably just doesn't show on computer games because they are basically cartoon graphics.

I run 1080i. The difference between 1080i and 720p is noticeable on my TV, not because of quality, but because of display method. I just prefer 1080i.

Gatticus said:
An interlaced picture will show up on DVD's and TV. If you like at areas that have fine patterns you will noitce a slight flickering, with progressive scan you won't get that. It probably just doesn't show on computer games because they are basically cartoon graphics.

You can check out one of DL.TV's videos (in h.264/quicktime format) if you want to see interlacing. By default, quicktime (or VLC, if you're using that) doesn't deinterlace the video, so interlacing is pretty apparent whenever there's motion on the screen. The guy's hand will break up during a quick handmovement, for instance.

His TV is a progressive scan device, so he won't see interlacing at all usually (only the stuff like jaggies that are left after deinterlacing).

ClearM4 said:
Neither. I am using the VGA cable at 1360 x 768 resolution on a 21' LCD PC monitor. It looks great BTW.
Uhh, Ditto?

For me, Dell 2007WFP FTW!

What TV is that? I've never heard of a HDTV that can do 1080i but not 720p.

Gatticus said:

There are plenty, including mine. Toshiba 51 inch rear projection. Does 1080i but not 720p.

720p. But you should use whatever your TV natively supports. Mine is 1080i but the scaler inside my TV is better than that inside the Xbox so that is why I use it. Almost all (if not all) games are rendered in 720p. There will be no advantage if you set the system output to 1080i.

A lot of CRT based displays only display 480p and 1080i.

In general 720p is the ideal resolution for the xbox360 on progressive displays with resolutions of 720p or 1080p. Of course you should set it to whatever looks best to you, ultimately you have to be the one satisfied with the image.

I use 480i. :D

Parents won't let me use the 360 on the HDTV --> it's the "family TV."

The few times I can sneak it in there, though, I play at 720p because that's the native resolution.

PWMK2 said:
I use 480i. :D

Parents won't let me use the 360 on the HDTV --> it's the "family TV."

The few times I can sneak it in there, though, I play at 720p because that's the native resolution.

Have you tried offering to let them play it too? More and more adults are getting into gaming now. Look at all those grannies you here about lately........

Gatticus said:

Another CRT based HDTV owner who's TV only does 480p and 1080i.

junehhan said:
Have you tried offering to let them play it too? More and more adults are getting into gaming now. Look at all those grannies you here about lately........

Yes. My mom plays. She actually was playing games before I was even born, lol. One of the reasons why she got one is so that she could play Kameo (she's a huge rare fan). She's playing Longest Journey on it now that they just patched backwards compatability so that it can play on the 360. My dad has played some COD2, but he's mostly flight sims and chess games...

But still, no 360 on HDTV. I don't really mind though since our HDTV's response time is horrible.

Spazilton said:
I use 1080i. My TV doesnt do 720.
me too... my Panasonic doesn't run 720p. 1080i looks alright, although I'd rather run at 1280x720 on my monitor via the VGA connection...

wish my damn TV would do 720p though. text is teh suck on a 32" screen at 1080i.

1080i on my $539.99 Toshiba TheaterWide 30" CRT HDTV.

Fucking gorgeous.

Back