HDTV Suggestions....Need Help

J4M3S0N79

Gawd
I will be building a HTPC system and asking a lot of it, PVR, Gaming, FTP Server, File server etc. I currentlyhave the PC (sans MCE and Cap card) hooked up to a crummy little SDTV. I want to get the best hdtv possible for under $1200. What would you suggest. I have some reqs.

1) 16:9 Ratio
2) DVI or HDMI input (pref dvi)
3) Handle 480p 720p and 1080i
4) >30" preferably 32"

I will not be capping HDTV programming...yet..because i am going to wait for a good cap card that can handle component input.

So far there has been a samsung and a phillips that seem to fit the bill. Any experience with these sets?

Thanks,
M

I haven't done much research with the HDTV tv's in that price range.
I did swing by Circuit city and this one looks noce from playing with it in the store.
Samsung HDTV

I generally like samsung TV's too.

this one is also getting plenty of good recomendations areound the web
Sanyo HDTV

Samsung makes a very nice 30" HDTV for $999. Another suggestion. if you have the room rear projection units are very cheap now, I picked up a 48" Mitsu Gold series on sale for about $1300 not too long ago. The Mitsubishi's and Pioneer units are generally considered the best, but you can find Toshiba, Samsung and Panasonic bigscreens for around that price normally, and the quality is nothing to complain about on most of those either.

There's a 30" Panasonic HDTV Monitor ( CT-30WX54 ) for $900 @ Circuit city

I know this one has DVI input, because I've been looking for the same exact TV specs you are :) (though it looks like circuit city's website's item specifications are down right now)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=94930

$900 + tax ... get a $50 gift card by mail, and free delivery (web purchases)

I've had my eye on this one for a while...

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like the best buy Samsung 30" is the money box. All the components. I just hope it's big enough. I will probably pick up this weekend. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
M

honestly, I might suggest trying to scrape a few more dollars together and getting one of the rear projection units. Still good quality, and much more size.I don't think I could bring myself to spend that much money on a 30 tv.

Have you thought about a projector over the HDTV?

A projector would look pixel perfect for gaming, and you could get a larger screen with less exposed electronics.

Great if you have a dog, or if you have a smaller room. Well hell even better if you have a big room

Remember light control will be necessary, so if the room has a lot of light determine if you can block it out.

Good projectors to look at are the Infocus X1a and X2, the BenQ 6100 and 6200, and the Sanyo Z1.

If you can scrape together some more cash I would suggest the Sanyo Z2, and the Sony HS20

if you want to go projector, 1200 will do for an entr ylevel. keep in mind that they dfo not fo true HDTV though. they downscale. I have an Infocus x1 and it looks great. I would suggest the Infocus x1, BenQ 8100 (8200 if you have a small room). I haev seen all 3 of these models and they look great. Ligth control is a must though, as none of these are that bright in full light. The 6100 and the x1 (not the x1a) can be had for $750-900. the 6200 is about $1200-1400. a sceren can easily be built for 75-100 or a pul down can be bought for 100-200. and up of course.

there is an ovid 37" LCD comming out with 1900x 1200 resolution... which is higher than 1080i and 1080p. Those cheap jobs TV's might advertise HDTV but they downscale, or have a terrible pixel pitch, response time, etc! Also, its not true high def unless its 1080p homeboy, anything less in my opionion is not worth the money! In the future satallite and cable will support 1080i and 1080p which has amazing clarity. Its just to beautiful to describe! Second, In my experience Mitsubishi's and Pioneer suck in addition to being con artists!! I bought a projection tv back in the day where they advertised "HDTV ready", POS will not do more than 480p!, bah! Also, they are far overpriced! I would check out sharps LCD's with 1080p support.... im not sure if they are out yet though but they will set you back some $$$$ if you want the cheaper route with highest quality that ovid 37 looks like its going to be a great LCD. I myself have a 23" HP monitor with 1900x1200 resolution and the clairity on this bad boy rocks, ill take clarity over size any day of the week

Back