HDTV-On switch on the Xbox360 CABLE

Qwerty

Limp Gawd
Who da thunk it?

For all those people that says the graphics look like crap on an HDTV, they may have not switched that little swich on the xbox video cable to enable HDTV. You know how it is, it is dark in your home theater room, and even darker behind the hometheater cabinet, and you "forgot" to read the manual. ;)
Now don't you feel embarassed that you were playing in 480i all along? (the system monitor preferences don't become active until you switch this switch)

The difference in quality is like night and day. Have Fun! Enjoy your sharp and fancy graphics.

10001904wp.jpg

It's kinda funny...but I wonder how many people out there actually didn't realize there was a switch.

Im going to bet the people still complaining about a lack of AA, are having this very problem.

If the switch is set to TV but the HDTV cables are plugged in...it doesn't even come on correct?

WorldRunner said:
If the switch is set to TV but the HDTV cables are plugged in...it doesn't even come on correct?

The Component cables will still work in TV mode but in super low rez and "jaggy" (it will look just like the composite cables). So if you have your Component (HDTV) cables plugged in and didn't switch the switch, you are still seeing 480i mode. :)

Go switch it NOW!
Your brain will explode when you noticed the difference.

Qwerty said:
The Component cables will still work in TV mode but in super low rez and "jaggy" (it will look just like the composite cables). So if you have your Component (HDTV) cables plugged in and didn't switch the switch, you are still seeing 480i mode. :)

Go switch it NOW!
Your brain will explode when you noticed the difference.

No no...I'm playing it with it switched onto HDTV. I though that if you had the HDTV cables in and switched it to TV it went black. I tried it and that's what happened to me ...

He's saying if you plug it in in TV mode it shoudn't even work, therefore eliminating the possibility of people overlooking the option when connecting to an HD set. Maybe this is exclusive to his config, so there are likely a fair number of people who can still benefit from this post.

nope, it doesn't go black.

Maybe if your hdtv doesn't support 480i on component it will go black..... HMMmmm, maybe this is one of the problems that people are complaining about "Xbox not working, I only see a black screen." HMmmmmmmm stuff to ponder.....

Either way...works fine in HDTV so I'm not complaining about technicalities. There is a big difference between HDTV and non-HD imo.

Qwerty said:
Now don't you feel embarassed that you were playing in 480i all along? (the system monitor preferences don't become active until you switch this switch)
10001904wp.jpg

Actually you'll get a message on-screen in the monitor set-up section of the dashboard telling you the cable isn't set correctly from the minute you first set it to 720p/1080i.

So, yeah, you'd be silly...and illiterate.

ECM said:
Actually you'll get a message on-screen in the monitor set-up section of the dashboard telling you the cable isn't set correctly from the minute you first set it to 720p/1080i.

So, yeah, you'd be silly...and illiterate.

no it doesn't.
for the first couple of days, i was playing with the switch set to TV, while the dashboard said it was 1080i widescreen. There are no error messages, or warnings.

edit: When you switch the modes, the screen flickers and asks you if you would like to keep this mode. Say yes, and then you are back to dashboard with no messages. I couldn't tell if there was a change in graphics in the dashboard (obviously there wasn't since it was set to TV mode). So I assumed everything was howdy doodie... If I didnt read the manual, I would have been playing in 480i mode FOREVER and not 1080i!

Qwerty said:
no it doesn't.
for the first couple of days, i was playing with the switch set to TV, while the dashboard said it was 1080i widescreen. There are no error messages, or warnings.

From the dashboard under Display Settings (when the cable is not in the HD position and you've set the console to 720p or 1080i mode)::

"HDTV output is disabled. Your Xbox 360 Component HD Cable is currently set to TV."

If you like, I can post a picture...but that's no cure for illiteracy.

ECM said:
From the dashboard under Display Settings (when the cable is not in the HD position and you've set the console to 720p or 1080i mode)::

"HDTV output is disabled. Your Xbox 360 Component HD Cable is currently set to TV."

If you like, I can post a picture...but that's no cure for illiteracy.

Maybe that message appears with the new dash updated by xboxlive (?).
idunno, but i didn't see that message. When I first turned on the Xbox for the first time. :)

What if you have a regular t.v. with componet input can you play in hdtv mode

rcf1987 said:
What if you have a regular t.v. with componet input can you play in hdtv mode

nope. your screen will start flickering or your image will split or go black (tried it with a sony wega non hdtv with component). but you can use the component cables to better quality 480i instead of the crappy composite connection.

Whichever mode your TV does not support will make the screen either a.) go black b.)flicker like crazy or c.)explode and kill everyone in your house. :p But serously, if your TV doesn't support a mode, it wont display it....I had it on HD on accident (my TV as of now is 480i) and the screen was flickering a little. I said "ah, HA!" and turned it to "TV" and BOOM, it was all good again. For the record, Xbox 360 running 480i on a normal, standard TV still looks good...but 480i on an LCD looks like a pile of shit that was stepped on two, maybe 3 times, then lit on fire and thrown at someones face....then a bird pooped on it and it rained for 3 hours and was washed down a drianage ditch. Yeah, THAT bad....so don't cry "360=t3h SuKy gR@fiX", when, in fact, it's the monitor. :)

lesman said:
on an LCD looks like a pile of shit that was stepped on two, maybe 3 times, then lit on fire and thrown at someones face....then a bird pooped on it and it rained for 3 hours and was washed down a drianage ditch. Yeah, THAT bad....so don't cry "360=t3h SuKy gR@fiX", when, in fact, it's the monitor. :)

One of the more memorable descriptions I have read. Ranks right up there with a bungie employee describing halo 2 as [paraphrased] "Going a million miles an hour, through a hospital zone, while you are on fire with an army of ninjas chasing you. Oh yeah the ninjas are on fire too".

:D

Back