HDMI to VGA better then VGA

Hi everyone. For some reason connecting my acer laptop with GTX 940m ( both HDMI and VGA out) with HDMI to VGA adapter looks better and crispier than using the VGA port. I have it connected to a crt sun GDM90W10 (Sony). I was using the VGA port of the laptop to connect the monitor , the image looks blurry ( I tried everything custom resolutions, bump up hz,) so was going to give up on my crt until for some reason I decide to use the HDMI port with the HDMI to VGA. The picture is amazing the text looks really sharp, almost exactly as hp 24 Lcd i haven't seen this picture before on the crt it really blows me away. Before my laptop I had a desktop computer with an hd5550 connected to the crt with VGA an the picture was blurry as my laptop. I really don't understand the situation here :(. Maybe some of you can help understand. I was thinking maybe new gpus don't handle analog signal very well. I also use the same VGA cable ( HDMI to VGA adapter an cable alone for VGA).

Image quality with VGA is dependent on signal quality. Different devices having different levels of signal quality with vga is no surprise.

You already answered your question
I was thinking maybe new gpus don't handle analog signal very well.
Nowadays gpus doesn't even support analog signals, I experienced a noticeable quality downgrade after changing my 5570 for a 7770.

That's indeed probably a problem of quality of the outputs (nothing to do with the GPU itself, but the components used and the way the graphic card manufacturer implements it).

Acer is renowned for its (lack of) quality, and the HD5550 is quite a low end card, if from a "cheap" brand the issue isn't that surprising.

Back