HDMI Switch problems

erehwon6811

Limp Gawd
I upgraded my TV going from a older Samsung to a new Samsung LED TV. I have a Psyclone PSC47 HDMI switch which I use to connect several of my devices. I have a PS3, PS4, Nexus Player, and a Sony Blu-ray player hooked up to it. The old Samsung TV was 720p and the new Samsung 1080p. I'm having issues with content not getting through the switch to tv. The ps3 will only come up 480p and the blu-ray player and ps4 won't display over the switch. The nexus player appears to display fine. I have the ps3 and blu-ray player hooked up to another hdmi switch. It is old one, but appears to be working, but I notice the blu-ray player occasionally goes black. I would prefer to fix the issue with the psyclone switch since I can control it with my logitech harmony remote.

I'm wondering what could be causing the issue with the psyclone psc47 hdmi switch? It was working with my previous tv. Could this be a content protection issue? Something to do HDCP?

I bet it's HDCP. One of the "features" of the El cheapo HDMI splitters is their ability to strip the HDCP, but it'd be a real PITA to insert a splitter on every device. I have an HDMI over CAT 6 device and an HDMI capture card that both need a splitter (you don't actually split, just in and out) in the line to work.

The Psyclone hdmi switch is old, but I don't think it was cheap. Amazon's page says it first became available in 2007. Could it not support the latest version of HDCP?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I replaced the cable going from the switch to the tv with a newer one that was longer. The old one was a little short and that might have put some tension on the cable. Since I changed the cable, I was able to use the ps4 at 1080p and play a blu-ray. The ps3 will still only display at 480p. The blu-ray player will only display the blu-ray logo and then loose the signal.

I replaced the cable going from the switch to the tv with a newer one that was longer. The old one was a little short and that might have put some tension on the cable. Since I changed the cable, I was able to use the ps4 at 1080p and play a blu-ray. The ps3 will still only display at 480p. The blu-ray player will only display the blu-ray logo and then loose the signal.
As stated before, it's probably HDCP issues. The PS3 is a lot picky about HDMI and HDCP, as I recall it needs HDCP running all the time in order to run at higher than 480p. Probably the same story with the blu-ray player, HDCP enabled or nothing.

In reality, I think of my AVR as just a glorified HDMI switch with a volume control, and you can usually find a couple generation old AVR for a couple hundred bucks.

I'm wondering what could be causing the issue with the psyclone psc47 hdmi switch? It was working with my previous tv. Could this be a content protection issue? Something to do HDCP?

It sounds like plugging the devices directly into the TV, they work as expected? Just to verify it's the switch that is causing issue.

It sounds like plugging the devices directly into the TV, they work as expected? Just to verify it's the switch that is causing issue.
Yea, plugging the devices directly worked.

I'm wondering about looking for a new switch if I can't fix this. I just wonder if I'll be able to find a nice powered one that is controlled by IR. I control that psyclone switch with my Logitech Harmony remote, which is nice. I don't want to give up that functionality.

I'm wondering about looking for a new switch if I can't fix this. I just wonder if I'll be able to find a nice powered one that is controlled by IR. I control that psyclone switch with my Logitech Harmony remote, which is nice. I don't want to give up that functionality.
Given that there's multiple of us pointing at the switch....

Far as IR goes, it's hard to find one without that functionality anymore. Monoprice has quite a few HDMI switches reasonably cheap. Anywhere from cheap 1080p models w/ HDCP 1.4 for ~$25 to 4k HDCP 2.2 models for ~$50.

In addition to what FnordMan said above, I have a simple switch from Fry's (Bytecc brand) and have zero issues with any of my devices. It automatically switches to the most recent turned on device. It can use IR, but I have never had to manually trigger it, since the autoswitch works well enough.

I bought this to keep using an older, but high end Denon receiver that only had 2 HDMI inputs. But since using this switch I have grown to love it, cause I rarely ever have to change inputs on the receiver (Apple TV has it's own input since it's always on, everything else goes through switcher). The receiver doesn't complain about the video and audio signals being changed.

Thanks for replies. I think I'll keep my eyes open for any deals on a new switch. I got plenty of use out of the psyclone switch and I only paid $5 for it from a garage sale.

Back