HDMI stuck in stereo

J-Will

[H]ard|Gawd
My digital audio connection for HDMI no longer has 5.1 or any other option except stereo at the computer's audio config. This is coming off a fresh Win7 x64 install with fully updated OS and drivers. Before the install 5.1 was configured and my receiver was able to switch its sound mode based on how the source was encoded (surround, Dolby, Pro Logic, etc). Now it is stuck in Stereo.

I'd ideally like the computer to do as little audio handling as possible and pass it to the receiver. Suggestions?

Config-
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H
Realtek audio using HDMI

I should have given more background of my setup-
HTPC w/ Ceton PCIe card, connected to an Onkyo receiver via HDMI, and then from the receiver to the TV via HDMI. TV is setup to not output audio.

Did you adjust your audio properties back to 5.1 surround on the PC?

You said it was a fresh install on Win 7. The default setting is stereo. I just had to adjust it myself.

Did you adjust your audio properties back to 5.1 surround on the PC?

You said it was a fresh install on Win 7. The default setting is stereo. I just had to adjust it myself.

I have attempted, however within the audio settings the only choice is stereo. There are no other options.

did you run the WMC setup? is your receiver set to Auto Format Decode, or Direct/Pure Direct?

go into your sound options and make sure the "allow device to take control of sound" is enabled.

If you've installed a splitter for audio/vid, have you changed the settings there to bitstream audio? LAV filters works well for this duty and handles DTS-HD and the like as well.

I dont have a splitter for audio/ video as everything goes from the HTPC to the receiver. However, could you tell me more about LAV? Perhaps I will look into this as an option anyway

What model is your Onkyo receiver? If it's a HDMI 1.4 receiver, make sure Audio Return Channel is disabled on the receiver.

I dont have a splitter for audio/ video as everything goes from the HTPC to the receiver. However, could you tell me more about LAV? Perhaps I will look into this as an option anyway

Splitter refers the the software used to decode or understand video and audio formats on your pc. Since WMP, WMC etc don't under MKVs for example, a 'splitter' as its known does the thinking for the media player so it can play those formats. LAV is a reliable efficient splitter, as is FFDShow. Really sounds like whatever splitter is handling your AC3 or DTS signals isnt bit streaming the signal to let you receiver, rather decoding the signal on your pc and sending out the most channels windows sees with HDMI, which in your case is 2.

LAV is popular for HTPC users as it 'just works' in that environment. For example, here in England we use the DVB-T2 standard for HD TV broadcast which eventually will use AC3 for audio but now uses AAC. Where most software packages and splitters choke on the AAC 5.1 audio and spit out 2 channels instead, LAV hasn't missed a beat and just works. You can grab LAV at http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191

If you choose to install it, enabling bitstreaming is super easy. First uninstall any software you used to play any audio or video formats so LAV can take control. Then open LAV Audio Decoder found in the start menu. Under the Audio Settings tab check bitstreaming for any formats your receiver can decode. Also a good idea to check off 'Convert Output to standard channel layouts' what this does is when a non DTS or AC3 stereo signal is being played (mp3 for example) it will send silence on all but the left and right channels so your receiver doesn't do any channel cloning tricks, etc. just helps with some odd situations if you like playback to match the source. Lastly make sure under the Formats tab, all formats are checked.

Reboot and I'd be happy to hear if this sorts your issue.

Last edited:
Back