HDMI Out to 52" Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV

Anime_Fan

[H]ard|Gawd
I am trying to hook up my PC to my 52" Sharp Aquos 120hz LCD HDTV. I have an annoying problem that I feel is driver related. At native 1080p resolution the edges of my desktop run off the edge of the screen by quite a bit. I have downloaded the latest nvidia drivers and did a clean install of them and that didn't clear up the issue. If I use the nvidia control panel to resize the desktop it sets my display resolution to 1842 x 1036 which is annoying me since I would like to view content in true 1080p. I've tried using their custom resolution tool but nothing seems to get me displaying at 1080p without having my desktop run off the edges of the screen. I googled around and checked Sharp's site and they don't make a driver for Windows 7 or any operating system for that matter. I really think the problem is related to the default Windows 7 Generic PNP monitor driver. Has anybody else encountered a similar issue and been able to resolve it?

Specs are in my sig. I am using a Palit GeForce GTX 460

Check for a PC Mode on one of your inputs and find out how to turn it on. On my Samsung I had to rename HDMI 3 to PC and overscan started working correctly. Your TV should have something like that as well. Check the manual.

Input 4 is designated as PC but its a VGA port so that wont do me much good if I want to view 1080p. I am using input 5 and went to the labels and there wasnt a PC option. I tried some of the other labels like Satelite, Cable, HDMI, DVR but none of them made the screen line up properly. I created a custom label called PC and still nothing. Did you have to reboot the system for any changes to show up?

On my Pioneer Plasma I went into the TV's HDMI settings and it lets you specify Video or PC for each hdmi input, I changed Input 5 from the default Video mode to PC, not sure if your TV has this kind of option.

I didn't do anything special in the Nvidia control panel.

I checked around some more in the TV menu and I dont see any options for that. I have tried every HDMI input on here and messed around with various labels for each HDMI input and nothing makes it display the desktop properly. I don't see any options for PC video unless I use input 4 but thats a VGA port which isnt what I need for HD 1080p.

My Aquos lets you adjust the picture dimensions via menu->setup->position if that's of any use.

I think I might have found a solution. There is a firmware update for my TV model and when I review the manual online there are new options in the menu for PC Mode and other viewing modes that I don't recall seeing last night when I was looking at this. I am going to install the new firmware after work tonight and see how that works.

Wagoo the position features aren't helping, I tired that last night and you can only slide the entire picture left or right or up or down. Which doesn't resolve anything because the desktop is being displayed beyond the edges of the screen on all sides. If it allowed me to "Pinch" it like on old CRT monitors that might be useful. I actually don't even know why the way their position options are something they consider useful. Who would want to slide the entire picture around on a screen? It should let you control all the edges individually not just slide the picture around.

You can adjust the amound of over scan in AMD or nVdia control panel, but you still need PC mode to get the text right/better.

I got it working! :D Updated the firmware and I had a new mode that was pc compatible! Now I can enjoy some PC Gaming in 1080p on my 52" :D

Quick question. I am trying to run my Aquos 52in at 120hz. Is your 120hz? And did the firmware update allow for any resolutions in 120hz? Thanks in advance!

Back