HDMI or DisplayPort mobo if I'm using integrated graphics?

uluvbs

Limp Gawd
Hi, all.

If I'm planning to use HD4000, do you think it's better in the long/short run if I get a mobo with a DisplayPort or HDMI?

My current monitor only accepts DVI/VGA, so it's irrelevant from that perspective.

In terms of plans down the road...I may buy a second one (either 1080p or 1440p). What factors to consider in HDMI or DP? Thank you.

Below are the top-rated options I could find via NewEgg:

DisplayPort
Intel BOXDQ77MK
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-HD4

HDMI (seems like I could save c.$50 by going HDMI)
ASRock B75M-ITX
GIGABYTE GA-B75M-HD3

DisplayPort generally supports a mode that let it output HDMI signals over a DP connector. This can be connected to any HDMI device with just an adapter cable. Hence DP is always preferable.

HDMI if you never ever plan to run above 1920x1200 and Displayport if you do. While HDMI supports higher resolutions, afaik there are no displays on the market that support more than 1920x1200 via HDMI.

So yeah, I'd go with DP.

On top of having displayport, the two boards you're looking at have the advantage of being the Z77 chipset instead of the lower-end B75.

Displayport can do HDMI via a passive DP to HDMI adapter, or do resolutions higher than 1200p via straight displayport if the monitor supports it, or an active DP to dual-link DVI adapter. So far, all current monitors do not accept signals higher than 1200p though HDMI.

Back