HDMI cable not allowing 144Hz refresh rate

DemisE

Limp Gawd
I have two Asus VG248QE monitors hooked up to two Gigabyte GTX770's via HDMI and I can only have a 60Hz refresh rate. However if I change to DVI cables I am able to select 144Hz.

I was always under the impression that HDMI and DVI cables were the same. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks

Isn't the refresh rate defined by the panel, not the cable? I think the issue is the monitors not being set to, or capable of going higher than 60Hz when using HDMI input.

I have two Asus VG248QE monitors hooked up to two Gigabyte GTX770's via HDMI and I can only have a 60Hz refresh rate. However if I change to DVI cables I am able to select 144Hz.

I was always under the impression that HDMI and DVI cables were the same. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks

HDMI can't do over 60hz at 1080p and above (or at least that was the case for quite some time). You need to use DVI Dual Link or DisplayPort.

Unless of course you're using around iteration 1.4a or later of HDMI (which probably does support the bandwidth needed for 120 or 144Hz at 1920x1080). But your cable, input port and output port would all need to be at 1.4a or higher...if any of them is of an older iteration then it wouldn't work

Unless of course you're using around iteration 1.4a or later of HDMI (which probably does support the bandwidth needed for 120 or 144Hz at 1920x1080). But your cable, input port and output port would all need to be at 1.4a or higher...if any of them is of an older iteration then it wouldn't work
Unofficially, it's technically possible to do 120Hz over HDMI 1.3 at lower refresh rates (it works on certain HDTV's) -- it's just not standardized. So many HDMI ports don't support it.

As per Asus' website:
*To activate 144Hz function (in 2D mode), both DisplayPort (or Dual-link DVI) and a selected graphics card with the latest driver are required. Please kindly contact the service center of your graphics cards companies for further technical supports.

As far as HDMI and DVI compatibility, HDMI is indeed compatible with single link DVI, and only single link DVI. It is electrically incompatible with Dual link DVI.

Well I guess Newegg is going to get some more of my money for DVI cables then. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

Back