HDMI Cable - How long is too long?

hhara

Gawd
Basically my question is will an HDMI signal degrade over a long distance like other some cables do?

I was initially planning on building a HTPC with some more then average video card horsepower to play games. I was wanting to spend ~500$ or so on that. Instead, I was thinking why not just run an HDMI cable from one of my GTX280s straight to the TV?

Since I live in a apartment the distance from my TV to my desktop computer is not far, but there is a wall. I have already tested my Logitech diNovo Edge and it works through the wall and across the distance. It may not be the best gaming solution but it is more then suitable for just viewing video.

monoprice offers a 131 ft HDMI cable for 85$. I think I could get away with a 75ft or 100ft cable as well. Either way, that is incredibly cheaper then 500$ for a brand new computer!

I cant think of any reason why this would be worse then building an HTPC, other then my initial question.

I would not recommend an HDMI cable that long for any system because all HDMI cable is made of twisted-pair wires rather than coaxial cables. I strongly recommend limiting cable lengths to no longer than 25 feet unless you buy additional (and extremely expensive) HDMI boosters and restorers that would ultimately jack up the price of your planned HDMI connection into the hundreds, even thousands, of dollars.

I've read of people using longer HDMI runs in home theaters all the time, and the only advice I see is to get a thicker gauge for longer runs... for what it's worth.

I'm looking for a v1.4 (3d capatble) HDMI -> Micro converter to plug into my GPU and connect to an HDMI cable to run to my TV.

I would love to find an HDMI 35FT v1.4 HDMI->Micro cable but I don't think they exist.

eh, the longer the cable the more issues you will have with 1080p, or worse, 3D. But your distances do not seem realistic. 75' would probably take from the bottom to the top of a house. Run some string and get an actual measurement.

Well its mostly because I have to run along the edges of the wall, behind furniture so I dont have this cable in the middle of my apt. Maybe 50' would do, but I think that may be close tbh.

What length do you guys think the limit is for 1080p?

I did this same exact thing in my old house in Cinci. I ran a 75ft. HDMI cable from the computer in the office upstairs, down in the wall to the front living downstairs.

This was using an EVGA GTX260 core 216 and an HDMI cable from The Egg. I only spent about $90 on the cable. Worked like a champ. Clear picture and responsive as far as I could tell. I'm sure if you compared side-by-side with one connected with a 6ft. cable you might notice a difference.

Note: you don't have to run it that distance to see if it will work. Snatch up a cable, test it, return it if it doesn't work. And the string idea is a good one to see how long of a cable you really need.

I believe that HDMI cables are certified to carry a signal somewhere around 40-50 feet without any problems. I've read people running greater lengths without any issues. I would find out how long of a cable you need and buy it and see if it can carry the signal without issue. If it doesn't work return the cable and re-assess your situation.

First: monoprice for the cable and other similar items. Beats the hell out of the egg's prices.

Secondly, you might want to pick up a HDMI 'restorer' which performs cable equalization and is inexpensive (~$5). It cleans up the signal on the receiving end. Also, I agree with he comments about thicker gauges of wire although your bend radius will be significantly increased.

The other option is looking at Dual Cat5/6 baluns. One balun required for the sending and receiving and and a pair of cat5/6 cables to send the signal through. My Experience with the 570's (in SLI) and a 580 is they dont send quite as strong a signal as my old Radeon 5870. If you get sparklies but the signal doesnt completely cut out, a restorer will clean it up. If you get a signal that cuts in and out, you need a booster or balun. Even the boosters and badly priced and do 1080p (~$35)

But for 3d...all bets are off ;)

The answer to this question would depend on the signal you are trying to carry.

Do you need 1080p?
Do you need Deep Color support?

If so, higher resolutions and higher bit-depths require more bandwidth.

The longest cable I have used is 25 feet and it was $1 per foot from monoprice. It's 22GA and that's the only GA that was rated a category 2 (high-speed) cable at that length. 24GA at 25ft was only rates a category 1 which is only suitable for a 720p content and my or may not work at 1080p and a high bit-depth.

I only need 1080p support, maybe 3D stuff as well.

What is the difference between category 1 and category 2? Could I get away with 1080p at 50 ft? I am thinking about just buying one and if it doesnt work out returning it as already suggested.

why not use a CAT6 adapter.... 2 CAT6 cables that are 100' + the adapters will still be cheaper than $100

and they will be easier to hide as they are much smaller and bend easier.

remember when drilling through a stud you can old drill a hole that is less than 1/3 the width of the stud... otherwise it will no longer bear the load it was engineered to hold

a thick gauge HDMI cable is going to be hard to run in a wall defiantly.

I have the monoprice CATx to HDMI baluan with a rund of about 50 feet and it works great.

$18
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=6177&seq=1&format=2

specs out to 100' with STP CAT6

Last edited:
why not use a CAT6 adapter.... 2 CAT6 cables that are 100' + the adapters will still be cheaper than $100

and they will be easier to hide as they are much smaller and bend easier.

remember when drilling through a stud you can old drill a hole that is less than 1/3 the width of the stud... otherwise it will no longer bear the load it was engineered to hold

a thick gauge HDMI cable is going to be hard to run in a wall defiantly.

I have the monoprice CATx to HDMI baluan with a rund of about 50 feet and it works great.

$18
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10425&cs_id=1042501&p_id=6177&seq=1&format=2

specs out to 100' with STP CAT6

I am not drilling anywhere. I am already running an Ethernet cable to the TV so this could be a possibility. Depends if it will work just as an HDMI cable - as in the GTX 280 will recognize it as such and be able to send both video and audio over it just like an HDMI cable.

I forgot about Monoprice. This site is incredible.

I see that HDMI organization will no longer let you advertise what version of the cable you are buying.

I forgot about Monoprice. This site is incredible.

I see that HDMI organization will no longer let you advertise what version of the cable you are buying.

Yea - thumbs up to monoprice for not advertising that version number either.

I decided to go with two 25ft cables and a repeater from monoprice. Turns out the distance is 45 ft, so I should be good.

Why don't they advertise the version anymore? I have run into a problem with that before when I bought a cable and It was only version 1.2 and I needed at least 1.3.

What changes can you make to some wires with a terminal on the end to raise them up from version 1.2 to version 1.3? Boggles my mind.

What changes can you make to some wires with a terminal on the end to raise them up from version 1.2 to version 1.3? Boggles my mind.

The same changes you can make to a Category 5 ethernet cable to bring it to a Category 6.

the CATx to HDMI adapters look the same to a PC as a HDMI cable... no difference.

Why don't they advertise the version anymore? I have run into a problem with that before when I bought a cable and It was only version 1.2 and I needed at least 1.3.
They want HDMI explained as Standard Speed, High Speed, High Speed w/Ethernet ... etc.

I don't know why they want it this way. A version number makes it so much easier.

They want HDMI explained as Standard Speed, High Speed, High Speed w/Ethernet ... etc.

I don't know why they want it this way. A version number makes it so much easier.

Ah, I see. I guess if they tout the true capabilities then that's alright and easier for most consumers to understand then.

Maybe to avoid other issues like people believing only 1.4 and above supports 3d

I dunno, I just buy certified high speed HDMI and am done with it. That way I know it all works ;)

I was in a similar predicament as you. Wanted to use my high end pc as my htpc rather than unplugging and plugging in my laptop every time. It was about 40ft away (this includes running around furniture and no drilling).

I decided on buying these cables and wrapped them with cable organizers so it looks like one big cable (no S/N Ratio problems):

HDMI
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024005&p_id=3964&seq=1&format=2

These USB extenders (you can daisy chain 4-5):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10303&cs_id=1030312&p_id=6149&seq=1&format=2

Bought a Cyberpower USB hub to connect to the extender thereby giving me 7 ports for my Dinovo Edge etc..
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-Hi...IA8Y/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1298176921&sr=8-8

I have a badass set of stereo speakers and wanted to use my Asus Essencse ST, so I used this cable to connect to a Y cable that goes to the speakers, the ST has simulated 5.1 through stereo (Dolby Speaker) which is nice since I'm not buying 5.1 bc I might be leaving my apartment within a year:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021808&p_id=5592&seq=1&format=2

Finally, bought RCA cables with adapters to switch between Xbox/PS3 analog stereo out routed through ST.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5602&seq=1&format=2

All that cost me $58 w/o the USB hub which I used a gift card on. Since I'm running off a 5870 I'm only out that much when I eventually buy a receiver and 5.1. Although I can still use the cables.

The setup has worked great and switching between my plasma and eyefinity setup is seamless. Let me know if you need pics to visualize.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was in a similar predicament as you. Wanted to use my high end pc as my htpc rather than unplugging and plugging in my laptop every time. It was about 40ft away (this includes running around furniture and no drilling).

I decided on buying these cables and wrapped them with cable organizers so it looks like one big cable (no S/N Ratio problems):

HDMI
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024005&p_id=3964&seq=1&format=2

These USB extenders (you can daisy chain 4-5):
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10303&cs_id=1030312&p_id=6149&seq=1&format=2

Bought a Cyberpower USB hub to connect to the extender thereby giving me 7 ports for my Dinovo Edge etc..
http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-Hi...IA8Y/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1298176921&sr=8-8

I have a badass set of stereo speakers and wanted to use my Asus Essencse ST, so I used this cable to connect to a Y cable that goes to the speakers, the ST has simulated 5.1 through stereo (Dolby Speaker) which is nice since I'm not buying 5.1 bc I might be leaving my apartment within a year:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021808&p_id=5592&seq=1&format=2

Finally, bought RCA cables with adapters to switch between Xbox/PS3 analog stereo out routed through ST.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5602&seq=1&format=2

All that cost me $58 w/o the USB hub which I used a gift card on. Since I'm running off a 5870 I'm only out that much when I eventually buy a receiver and 5.1. Although I can still use the cables.

The setup has worked great and switching between my plasma and eyefinity setup is seamless. Let me know if you need pics to visualize.

Nice - thanks. I dont think I will need any audio cables but I may have to take up your suggestion on the USB hub and extension cable. As of right now the diNovo Edge works through the wall and across the distance, but there may be some lag that I am not noticing. Mainly though, would need it to plug in some other things like 360 controller for PC.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ran a 15 ft cable + a 25 foot extender cable to a projector for a few years.

Most of the time I was running 720p, but sometimes the PS3 got reset and it defaulted to 1080p, and it worked fine.

HDMI is good for 40 or 50 feet without a problem, provided the source is outputting a proper, clean, inspec signal. No guarantees for cheapy equipment, but an ATI/Nvidia graphics card should be fine.

Analog cables are better for long runs, actually - component video is good to something like 100' without any problems. Running analog sound for surround would be a PITA though unless your PC and your receiver has 5.1 analog audio in (not that likely).

Just wanted to add this link. He does a pretty good job of covering some the concerns behind what makes a cable suitable for different applications.

Back