HDMI Cable for my HTPC build....

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
Well This is the final component I will need to build my HTPC. Should I beleive the Hype and buy a $200 Moster Cable HDMI Cable? Or will any 30$ HDMI 1.3 cable suffice?

My Output is from a GeForce 9400 mobo which will play back HD content. My TV is a 120Hz Sony Bravia 52" LCD (dont have the Model #)

go to monoprice.com and buy a $5 hdmi cable. The $200 and even the $30 HDMI cables are insanely overpriced.

ship me a 100 dollars and then buy a 10 dollar cable. Make sure the cable is HDMI 1.3.

It is the same thing, same signal, due to the fact the signal is digital.

Now if we were talking analog cables then you may want to buy a more expensive cable.

I bought 6ft. HDMI cable for $10.00 CAD at 'The Dollar Store' 2 days ago and it works perfectly. Says on the package it is 1.3 and good for 1080p. I don't do sound over HDMI anyway so if it is 1.3 capable or not means little to me. Shouldn't any HDMI cable be able to do 1.3 anyway? There is nothing different about cable for 1.3 as far as I know, it just sends audio over it too and not just video.

Ok thanks. So I have a noob question then. When I go on Monster Cable's website, they say their HDMI cables are rated for different Gpbs and such. The better of the cables can deliver higher bandwidth for things such as "Deep Color" and "120Hz refresh rates"

Are you saying any normal HDMI 1.3 cable can do this exact same thing as well?

Higher bandwidth would be great, but only if the current hdmi cable was maxed out on bandwidth.

"Deep Color" (48-bit color) is part of the HDMI 1.3 standard and the 10.2GBps link should be capable of 1080p @ 120Hz, though nothing broadcasts at this rate today. If you purchase a 1.3 compliant cable, any 1.3 compliant cable, you should be good to go.

Don't worry about any extra things that Monster guarantees, since no devices will support functions above and beyond 1.3 spec. When the next HDMI revision comes out, go out and buy another $10 cable for that version as I doubt the $200 Monster cable will be fully compliant since no one at this time knows what it means to be compliant with the next generation, so you're really not future-proofed either.

CNET uses cables from Monoprice that are in excess of 50ft or more and have never noticed signal degradation or had bandwidth issues from them. Link here

Well, not always. Both a freind and I bought these generic cables from NCIX and both are NFG. His is HDM and is completely NFG and mine was 15ft DVI>HDMI and I have to bend the cable near the HDMI end to get a good stable picture, otherwise it corrupts the screen. Cheap cable I got at The Dollar Store works perfectly though and is better than the shite NCIX was selling. I was going to order another one from NCIX in the hope it would be good and then send them back my flaky one as defective and ask for a refund on it but I can't find the same cable there any more. Gee, I wonder why?

sounds like you got a bad one. it happens

+15
Monoprice
/thread

I bought some cables, HDMI and audio, from eForCity.com, free shipping. Took about 12 days to arrive to Canada, which was longer than I wanted but was reasonable.

Back