HDMI Alt Mode Allows For USB Type-C Connections

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The title says it all; you will be able to buy a USB Type-C to HDMI cable to easily connect devices to displays and forego things like additional adaptors. While this won’t change your life, more simplicity is good.

HDMI Licensing announced a new cable standard that connects USB-C and HDMI devices. HDMI Alt Mode supports the full range of HDMI 1.4b features, including up to 4K resolution, 3D video, ethernet over HDMI, HDCP 1.4/2.2 copy protection, Deep Color, Audio Return Channel, and the CEC (Consumer Electronic Control) protocol that automatically switches a display to the proper input source. One thing that’s missing: Support for HDR (high dynamic range) video. The idea, naturally enough, is to to develop an HDMI-to-USB Type-C cable that ties together the most common cabling protocols in both the PC and consumer electronics industries, eliminating the need for an adapter or special silicon.

Lets take a journey into the past where the HDMI consortium said: "The HDMI specification defines an HDMI cable as having only HDMI connectors on the ends. Anything else is not a licensed use of the specification and therefore, not allowed."

Singing a new tune now huh?

Even if this cable does come out its still going to be a pain in the ass since they left it up the manufactures on what they want to support.

These cords and devices already exist. The phone I use now (LG G5) charges through a USB-C connector. I also own the USB-C to HDMI adaptor for mirroring the display onto the stereo screen in my truck. It works with no power cable like the other devices that use Micro USB.

Attachments

• 0905160422.jpg
    0905160422.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 50
"...buy a USB Type-C to HDMI cable to easily connect devices to displays and forego things like additional adaptors."

I wouldn't have to buy another adapter...but...I would have to buy this cable...so in effect I am buying an adapter....so I won't have to buy an adapter to fit my adapter? Maybe I am missing something?

no hdmi 2.0 support. lame

I have a thunderbolt usb-c combo port on my laptop, and it's the only port that can do 60hz on 4k TV.

Need a hdmi 2.0 cable.

The entire connector cabal is getting ridiculous. It's really about time that IEEE gets it's shit straight and connectors start becoming unified. This is just getting dumb.

"...buy a USB Type-C to HDMI cable to easily connect devices to displays and forego things like additional adaptors."

I wouldn't have to buy another adapter...but...I would have to buy this cable...so in effect I am buying an adapter....so I won't have to buy an adapter to fit my adapter? Maybe I am missing something?

This was my thought as well. I guess they could potentially sell them cheap because there is no chip inside, but we all know they won't be, at least for quite some time.

Would this make it easier/possible to run a USB-C connector to your receiver and send a blank/black video signal but send 8 channel surround audio?

My guess is that HDCP is the reason we have not seen this, but it's a feature that is long over due.

Back