HDMI 2.1 AVR Recommendations (2021)

Can I jump in this thread? I'm also in the market for a 2.1 Receiver with a few key features. I need Home Assistant Network control (Looks like the Denon owned network models are supported) and would like to have DSP support for notch filters on the Sub and at least a high pass on the fronts. Otherwise my requirements are pretty simple, 3 HDMIs is enough, ~50 watts, don't care about 8k.

Can I jump in this thread? I'm also in the market for a 2.1 Receiver with a few key features. I need Home Assistant Network control (Looks like the Denon owned network models are supported) and would like to have DSP support for notch filters on the Sub and at least a high pass on the fronts. Otherwise my requirements are pretty simple, 3 HDMIs is enough, ~50 watts, don't care about 8k.

The Denon X4400H and X4700H do not have any filters on the sub, only cutoff, crossover and overall level.
All other 7 main channels have filters.

This is why I bought SVS subs, they have built in DSP filters programmable from a phone.

Before this I tried an external DSP filter box (not cheap, around £700) on a normal sub but it was very substandard. The character of the sub was gone, it sounded dull. Also there was a perceptible delay.
SVS subs have no perceptible delay using the DSP filters built in, they are wonderful!

I'm now seeing Integra AVRs on Crutchfield, Amazon has the higher-end models in stock. This is the first I've heard of this brand (it's Onkyo). Tempted, but wary because Onkyo. They do have all "8K" HDMI inputs with gaming features...

Best Buy locations carry some of those premium brands like Arcam and Integra. You could always see if your local store has any just to make the potential return process quick/easy.
I haven't really followed what was announced at CES, but it's probably worth checking to see if any of the major brands (Sony, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, etc.) put out any press releases for new AV equipment.

Are 2.1 issues mostly hardware or soft(firm)ware related?

Both. The trend I noticed is claiming your device has the hardware and that HDMI 2.1 will come in a future update, then if that update ever arrives it's gimped HDMI 2.1 due to the hardware

At this point I've had had the 760H for 6 months and have been super happy with it. Especially considering the price point. If you're looking for a 100% legitimate HDMI 2.1 AVR that isn't in the premium price range, I wholeheartedly recommend it. You can buy 'em in tons of places now, even Amazon, so it's no longer a Costco exclusive.

Do you all have any sources for AV receiver news? Seems that Onkyo is still the only one with a 2.1 AVR with more than one proper HDMI 2.1 input on it, surely Denon has something in the works but I'm not seeing any news on what Denon has for 2022. I'm looking for a 9-channel AVR with at least 100W/channel output, I'd settle for an Onkyo but I've read that DIRAC doesn't have dynamic EQ like Audyssey does and I've come to really appreciate the dynamic EQ feature.

Honestly, it's sad that a year later we still have so few HDMI 2.1 AVR options. I'm guessing people are just bailing on the concept of multi-speaker surround systems? Even thought it's a point release, HDMI 2.1 is a pretty massive feature upgrade. Plus, the current consoles and PC's support those features right now.

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
imo, people arent pleased with the early problems, lack of HDMI 2.1 ports (even if not needed), additional cost and have no need for HDMI 2.1 anyway.
Especially when what they already own works perfectly.

I feel similar, I have a UHD AVR that does everything I need.
Even when I get an 8K TV, I dont need to connect it through an 8K capable AVR.
I can connect directly to the TV and either use EARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) to get audio to the receiver from any device or output to the display and receiver independently when used from my PC.
For me to look at AVRs with HDMI 2.1 there needs to be added incentive and no problems.

Pretty much same here.

I connect my PC directly to my TV for 4k120 4:4:4 with VRR, then run a second HDMI from the PC to the receiver for 5.1 uncompressed surround sound. I have a phantom monitor because of it, but I can deal with it.

For my movie TV I use arc for 7.1.2 atmos and don't have anything but the TV and receiver. I just stream everything through the TV's built in apps. I have a PC running LG SmartShare that streams over LAN, then also the online streaming services.

I would prefer a fully featured HDMI 2.1 receiver but I couldn't get one when I needed something so I'm fine for now.
Eventually I plan on adding more speakers to my movie setup so I am hoping they have it all figured out with some good options and hopefully cheaper by then.

Ah I forgot about this thread. I've been using my Onkyo TX-RZ50 since December. I ended up giving my Denon X4700H to my brother. I like my Onkyo much better (my previous receiver was Onkyo TX-NR838).

Running 7.1.4 set-up. One out to my 4K TV and second out to 4K projector.

Haven't had any issues and don't need the separate box attached to denon X4700h either. Having three HDMI 2.1 ports is also nice.

Ah I forgot about this thread. I've been using my Onkyo TX-RZ50 since December. I ended up giving my Denon X4700H to my brother. I like my Onkyo much better (my previous receiver was Onkyo TX-NR838).

Running 7.1.4 set-up. One out to my 4K TV and second out to 4K projector.

Haven't had any issues and don't need the separate box attached to denon X4700h either. Having three HDMI 2.1 ports is also nice.
I'm interested in the TX-RZ50 or the TX-NR7100, but I like Audyssey Dynamic EQ since it adjusts the EQ settings for the volume level you're listening at. With Dynamic EQ disabled, you basically have to crank the AVR to max to get the full effect. I've read that DIRAC doesn't have a similar feature, but you can apparently do that using a DIRAC app. Are you familiar with that?

I'm interested in the TX-RZ50 or the TX-NR7100, but I like Audyssey Dynamic EQ since it adjusts the EQ settings for the volume level you're listening at. With Dynamic EQ disabled, you basically have to crank the AVR to max to get the full effect. I've read that DIRAC doesn't have a similar feature, but you can apparently do that using a DIRAC app. Are you familiar with that?
I know Onkyo has a option for their own EQ software that might do something similar however, I have not seen any option in the DIRAC live app. i'll have to take a look to see if it was updated. I did all my stuff back in Dec 2021.

Minor thread necro, I've noticed that the Denon S760H is now correctly outputting Dolby Atmos in Windows. Might've been Nvidia or it might've been the Dolby Access app, but either way it's now working correctly as of a week or two ago. That's for movie files (like MKV's and such), streaming from the Netflix app, and Atmos-enabled games. The volume is slightly different than before as well - I no longer have to turn things up when Atmos content is playing vs. when everything was outputting as "Multi In."

I'm a big fan of HDFury. Using a Vertex 2 to handle 4k/HDR switching with an LG OLED65C9, and pass audio off to a 10-year-old Onkyo TX-NR818.

I love doing this because it gives me cheap Audyssey XT32 and generally great audio quality without compromising on video quality.

I have an Onkyo TX-NR7100 in the theater running 7.1.2 in-wall speakers and have been extremely pleased with it so far. I have an TX-NR5100 in the living room running 3.1 as well. Nothing but love for the brand and this new product line, I am looking forward to moving to a 4k projector shortly and will then have a 'complete' setup in my eyes for the foreseeable future.

Back