HDMI 2.1 AVR Recommendations (2021)

Domingo

Fully [H]
The title of the thread says it all. I know there were some early issues with certain models having problems with the Xbox Series X and Nvidia 3000 series. I started looking into models from Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, etc. but a lot of what they're pushing isn't actually available right now. In at least a few cases, they're pushing models that won't be on sale until the Fall.

Anyone got any current recommendations? In my case, I'm looking for something pretty basic, but can fully handle HDMI 2.1, has at least 7.1, and decodes the full spectrum of normal audio codecs. Something under $750 ideally.

That's what I'm seeing. The new TV's I was waiting for are either out or hitting stores right now...but with no AVR, there isn't much point considering how I have everything setup.

I think I looked within the past several months at the brands you mentioned and all of the HDMI 2.1 AVRs I could find (even the expensive ones!) had one HDMI 2.1 input and the remaining inputs were 2.0; that's a solid 'no' from me for an AVR that I would probably want to keep for 10 years.

Has any other HDMI rollout been as drawn out as the 2.1 rollout or do I feel like this is taking forever because I'm ready to buy a TV and AVR?

I think I looked within the past several months at the brands you mentioned and all of the HDMI 2.1 AVRs I could find (even the expensive ones!) had one HDMI 2.1 input and the remaining inputs were 2.0; that's a solid 'no' from me for an AVR that I would probably want to keep for 10 years.

Has any other HDMI rollout been as drawn out as the 2.1 rollout or do I feel like this is taking forever because I'm ready to buy a TV and AVR?

I've never experienced anything like it. I was able to buy HDMI 1.3 and later 2.0 gear not long after they were announced. And basically every A/V OEM had parts on the shelf (or pending with exact details) around the same time. With HDMI 2.1 is has been a slow trickle of partial implementations, devices with only 1 slot, features left out, etc. for over a year.

I have the PC and console hardware that can take advantage of it, and it seems like the TV models I'd been waiting on are finally available. I have the money, too. Yet there are seemingly no AVR's available. A pile of them were affected by those bugs last fall and those are seemingly all out of stock. The few others either only have 1 slot or they aren't in stock anywhere. At least 3 major OEM's don't plan to have anything until mid-year or even the fall. Some have even gone totally radio silent. Even super high-end AVR's are either out of stock or not HDMI 2.1 compatible.

I agree, tv and monitors are the worse for updating new features.... been waiting a long
time to upgrade both and probably won't be ok for me until 2022 some time ...

Earc seems to be another problem from all the reading I've done...

Hope my tv , monitor, receiver , and gpu can run for a couple more years !

After spending a little more of my spare time looking around, I'm giving up. I thought Yamaha might have an ideal model, but alas it's missing several (important) features like VRR. They claim it'll get those features "in a future update" but there's no timeframe. At that point, I might as well just wait for new models from Denon, Pioneer, Sony, Onkyo, etc. Hopefully one of those companies will get something decent out the door before August.

Realistically, I think it will take two years to really iron out the bugs and deal with shortages pushing up prices and slowing release dates. If you can't wait, I would get the 8K Yamaha at Costco that pops in stock sometimes.

I got the TSR-700 which is bugged but at least has eARC. $330 at Costco, my CX has enough HDMI 2.1 ports for my needs.

At this point. I would say direct from GPU to TV with HDMI 2.1 and then eARC back to the receiver and look at new receiver in 2022.

There are some Onkyo and Pioneer models coming mid-year that seem like what I want: https://www.cnet.com/news/onkyo-and-pioneers-2021-receivers-back-in-black-with-8k-video/

If those don't cut the mustard, I saw some other models from Denon, Yamaha, etc. that are due in August. At that point I'll have to decide on a TV, too. I want another Samsung, but am a little disappointed in their lack of Dolby Vision. Otherwise, that's a pretty easy decision for me.

So the TSR-700 is junk? I am thinking about upgrading my AVR and it checks all the boxes but I hear it is very buggy. I currently have a Sony STRDN1080.

So the TSR-700 is junk? I am thinking about upgrading my AVR and it checks all the boxes but I hear it is very buggy. I currently have a Sony STRDN1080.

Everything I've read about that one says that it has issues with HDMI 2.1 functionality. That includes VRR (one of the main things I want) being totally non-functional. They claim that these things will be fixed/added in a future update, but they never mention a timeframe. Their announcement was back in November, too. At this point I feel like getting a 2021 AVR that definitely works with HDMI 2.1 is a smarter move.

Everything I've read about that one says that it has issues with HDMI 2.1 functionality. That includes VRR (one of the main things I want) being totally non-functional. They claim that these things will be fixed/added in a future update, but they never mention a timeframe. Their announcement was back in November, too. At this point I feel like getting a 2021 AVR that definitely works with HDMI 2.1 is a smarter move.
There's a problem with the chips. They claimed it was fixable through firmware but it's been rumored for some time that it not possible. I wouldn't buy until new chips are out, and with the shortage who knows when that will be. Maybe fall?

A AVR that properly supports 2.1 is what I am looking for. I'll stick with what I got for a while more I guess.

I'm hopeful about those new Onkyo/Pioneer models coming in a couple months. My plan is to watch for reviews like a hawk and snag one if they don't suck. We can't be the only people waiting for good HDMI 2.1 AVR's right now so my fear is that anything good might end up getting bought up.

I would just get something with eARC if you need something soon. You could always sell it and possibly even return it later. I have a TSR-700 I got from Costco and it has issues if plugged in directly, but with eARC I my LG CX handles everything and no issues with 5.1.2 / gsync / 4k 120hz

Yeah I'm looking for one too, I don't need it for 2 months, doubt it will be fixed by then so I may have to settle with what they have. I should be able to use eARC for everything, but I'm getting a LGG1 and wall mounting it and want the cords hidden. I don't want to add another device and have to run a cord through the wall.

I'm in no real hurry. I like the idea of playing slightly older games at 4K/120/VRR, but it's nothing I have to have right now. The newer 2021 TV's are only just starting to trickle out and reviews have been slow in coming, too. I figure if there's no clear HDMI 2.1 AVR option by August/September I'll likely go the eARC route. At that point there's clearly a major issue that they're struggling to resolve.

There's a problem with the chips. They claimed it was fixable through firmware but it's been rumored for some time that it not possible. I wouldn't buy until new chips are out, and with the shortage who knows when that will be. Maybe fall?
What I've heard is that the only HDMI 2.1 controllers available to put in AVRs right now can only handle an uncompressed* signal but all the 2.1 sources right now can only output a compressed signal, this a hardware limitation for sure on the receiver side(output sources are all using proprietary hardware that is unknown) and the only company that makes them isn't expecting to have a fixed model until at least August. I did see some talk about a possible firmware update but unless the reported hardware limitation on the receivers is false information it would have to be for the sources to get them to put out a signal that the receivers can understand.

Apparently the 2.1 standard specifies that the signal can be compressed or uncompressed and no one realized until after hardware was being released that the two are incompatible.

*I might have which one is compressed backwards.
I would just get something with eARC if you need something soon. You could always sell it and possibly even return it later. I have a TSR-700 I got from Costco and it has issues if plugged in directly, but with eARC I my LG CX handles everything and no issues with 5.1.2 / gsync / 4k 120hz
eARC or an audio only HDMI connection for audio with video going straight to the TV or monitor seems to be the way to go right now, it's a little less convenient but it does mean there's a lot more receivers that are viable options.

Reactions: pavel
like this
What I've heard is that the only HDMI 2.1 controllers available to put in AVRs right now can only handle an uncompressed* signal but all the 2.1 sources right now can only output a compressed signal, this a hardware limitation for sure on the receiver side(output sources are all using proprietary hardware that is unknown) and the only company that makes them isn't expecting to have a fixed model until at least August. I did see some talk about a possible firmware update but unless the reported hardware limitation on the receivers is false information it would have to be for the sources to get them to put out a signal that the receivers can understand.
You probably know more than me, but i'm not hopeful for a firmware fix. I'm not updating my receivers till after august now :) Thanks for the info.

https://www.engadget.com/hdmi-2-1-xbox-series-x-receiver-issues-034534313.html

Looks like Denon and Marantz are "fixing" their issues via a separate breakout box that even requires its own AC adapter. It looks pretty large, too. Yamaha is still suggesting that users go the eARC route and not really saying much more than that.
It is unfortunate that no one can get their shit togather on hdmi 2.1. it really is a pretty big deal and it is ridiculous they still haven't sorted it out.

It is unfortunate that no one can get their shit togather on hdmi 2.1. it really is a pretty big deal and it is ridiculous they still haven't sorted it out.

Absolutely. They've had plenty of time at this point. I really, really hope Onkyo's offering next month is worth a damn.

https://www.engadget.com/hdmi-2-1-xbox-series-x-receiver-issues-034534313.html

Looks like Denon and Marantz are "fixing" their issues via a separate breakout box that even requires its own AC adapter. It looks pretty large, too. Yamaha is still suggesting that users go the eARC route and not really saying much more than that.
This seems to confirm what I heard about it being a hardware issue. It's far from ideal but it's better than nothing I guess, It does make me glad I decided to not worry about hdmi 2.1 and saved $600 by going with the previous Marantz 7000 series.

My solution is not to worry about it for another year. If you already have a HDMI 2.0 receiver that can handle 4K@60 from other sources (Media box, 4K blu-ray, etc). Then just go from PC to the TV and eARC it back to the receiver like I did with my current setup. I take the HDMI 2.1 out from my Laptop to my Q90T's HDMI 2.1 in, than eARC back to my receiver.

IMG_8797 (1).jpg

Another option if your GPU have multiple HDMI 2.1 out is to run one to the TV and then another HDMI to the receiver and then select the it under Set Up Digital Audio in the nVidia control panel. Going Directly to the TV from the source also reduce latency (I assume you'll be gaming since you're look for 120 VRR.

IMG_8935.jpg

Not a perfect example as my 3080 only have one HDMI port (but there are 30XX with 2 HDMI from ASUS and maybe other manufacturers) so I went DP to my Monitor and HDMI to my receiver. Same theory.

Last edited:
Reactions: pavel
like this
There's only one HDMI on my 3090, so that's not really an option. eARC's basically the best solution if the Onkyo/Pioneer receivers don't cut the mustard. I'd rather wait for newer models than to have to deal with the clumsy SoundUnited breakout box.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...-its-av-receiver-hdmi-21-bug/?sh=333e8cef3af6

...and things just got even more fun. Yamaha's solution for the HDMI 2.1 bug is for customers to RMA their unit. Yamaha has to fully replace the HDMI board within. Ouch. I've had to RMA an AVR once before and it took forever to get that thing back. I think they actually repair units instead of just sending a new one. They have some new unaffected units hitting shelves this fall, but they're all over $1200. They also still don't fully support a pile of HDMI 2.1 features out of the box and will need additional firmware updates down the line. What a mess. At this point I'm hoping Onkyo's offering still comes out or maybe Denon will have something new in the Fall. Otherwise, it's either wait for 2022 or deal with eARC. I wish Sony wasn't always a year behind.

I'm continuing to follow HDMI 2.1 AVR's, and apparently the Onkyo deal is happening. Luckily they ARE still planning on rolling out their two new AVR models this July/August, too. Fingers crossed, hopefully they don't suck.

Seems Onkyo's new AVR's are good to go once they're actually available. Per at least a couple sites I've been scouring, they should be available in July/August.

I pre-ordered the Onkyo TX-RZ50. I currently have the Denon X4700H and they finally sent me the converter box to fix xbox series x and rtx 3000 issues.
I can finally use my xbox with VRR but I decided I preferred the options and sound of my previous Onkyo TX-NR838 hence the preorder.
If anyone buys a Denon the newer ones should ship with the updated board.
The new Onkyo/Pioneer receivers and looking to be solid

I plan on ordering one of the Onkyo models - probably the 7100, although that 5100 seems to have most of the functionality I want.
In looking at their own ordering page, it seems like it's a 7.2 AVR...but it only supports 5.2 for certain functions like Atmos and DTS:X? All the early info on it listed it as a 5.2 AVR, so I'm a little confused.

EDIT: I emailed Onkyo and it's a terminology thing that I wasn't familiar with. Not sure why I never thought of it. 5.2.2 = "old style" 7.2 - the overhead channels are considered to be .2, which I didn't know. Mine are posted on a wall directly above my head and angled downward, so they're a hybrid. Either way, it seems like the 5100 is the AVR I need and it's only $600!

EDIT2: It isn't in stock yet, even from Onkyo BUT they're saying it should be in 2 weeks. Crutchfield is similarly listing availability on 7/21 and pricing at MSRP. I'm just going to watch Amazon, Best Buy, etc. and try and snag it from a place I know has a good return policy.

Last edited:
The Onkyo 5100's ARE in stock and shipping now. I just ordered one and it's set to ship tomorrow.

Assuming UPS doesn't screw the pooch, I should have a 5100 today. I'm curious how VRR via a receiver is even going to work with a PC...if it even can.

Got my 5100. 4K/120 (with HDR, Atmos, etc.) Pass-Thru works with my Nvidia 3090, but it's definitely quirky.
You have to set everything to YCbCr420 8-bit limited in "PC Mode" via the Nvidia control panel. RGB creates overscan and "just scan" on my TV can't properly fix it. The top 5% of the screen looks like vsync is permanently off and it's distracting to have this weird little strip that keeps image tearing.

Atmos and HDR will work at 120Hz...but not at the same time. There aren't many titles that use Atmos right now, but the few that do tend to be HDR titles, too. Randomly after exiting something that's in full-screen mode, the image will turn a weird shade of green and rebooting is the only way to fix it. I've tried everything from powering my TV and AVR down, but nothing seems to fix it, so I think it's on the PC's end. Gsync DOES work, though. Ditto with the Windows implementation of VRR...although I'm not sure what games even use that.

For the sake of convenience, I'm just running normal 'ol 4K/60, which works fine with Atmos and HDR + Gsync. I figure additional firmware updates (and potential updates to Nvidia's drivers) will potentially alleviate the other issues. Everything seems to work 100% fine for the PS5 right now, although it's worth noting that the PS5 doesn't use Atmos.

Last edited:
That's disappointing. Are the issues resolved with Atmos, 120hz, etc when connecting directly to the TV and using eARC?

Also, I don't know if it's cause I'm on an insider preview build, but I noticed within the last month or two all my games now support atmos. I don't believe its the PCM 2.0 kind either. Not sure what happened but I'm playing Horizon Zero Dawn and it's working great, just wish I had overhead speakers now instead of just upfiring ones. Soon!

Back