HDMI 2.1 AVR Recommendations (2021)

Domingo

Fully [H]
The title of the thread says it all. I know there were some early issues with certain models having problems with the Xbox Series X and Nvidia 3000 series. I started looking into models from Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, etc. but a lot of what they're pushing isn't actually available right now. In at least a few cases, they're pushing models that won't be on sale until the Fall.

Anyone got any current recommendations? In my case, I'm looking for something pretty basic, but can fully handle HDMI 2.1, has at least 7.1, and decodes the full spectrum of normal audio codecs. Something under $750 ideally.

Domingo

Fully [H]
That's what I'm seeing. The new TV's I was waiting for are either out or hitting stores right now...but with no AVR, there isn't much point considering how I have everything setup.

djoye

2[H]4U
I think I looked within the past several months at the brands you mentioned and all of the HDMI 2.1 AVRs I could find (even the expensive ones!) had one HDMI 2.1 input and the remaining inputs were 2.0; that's a solid 'no' from me for an AVR that I would probably want to keep for 10 years.

Has any other HDMI rollout been as drawn out as the 2.1 rollout or do I feel like this is taking forever because I'm ready to buy a TV and AVR?

Domingo

Fully [H]
I think I looked within the past several months at the brands you mentioned and all of the HDMI 2.1 AVRs I could find (even the expensive ones!) had one HDMI 2.1 input and the remaining inputs were 2.0; that's a solid 'no' from me for an AVR that I would probably want to keep for 10 years.

Has any other HDMI rollout been as drawn out as the 2.1 rollout or do I feel like this is taking forever because I'm ready to buy a TV and AVR?

I've never experienced anything like it. I was able to buy HDMI 1.3 and later 2.0 gear not long after they were announced. And basically every A/V OEM had parts on the shelf (or pending with exact details) around the same time. With HDMI 2.1 is has been a slow trickle of partial implementations, devices with only 1 slot, features left out, etc. for over a year.

I have the PC and console hardware that can take advantage of it, and it seems like the TV models I'd been waiting on are finally available. I have the money, too. Yet there are seemingly no AVR's available. A pile of them were affected by those bugs last fall and those are seemingly all out of stock. The few others either only have 1 slot or they aren't in stock anywhere. At least 3 major OEM's don't plan to have anything until mid-year or even the fall. Some have even gone totally radio silent. Even super high-end AVR's are either out of stock or not HDMI 2.1 compatible.

Reactions: djoye
like this

ncjoe

Limp Gawd
I agree, tv and monitors are the worse for updating new features.... been waiting a long
time to upgrade both and probably won't be ok for me until 2022 some time ...

Earc seems to be another problem from all the reading I've done...

Hope my tv , monitor, receiver , and gpu can run for a couple more years !

Domingo

Fully [H]
After spending a little more of my spare time looking around, I'm giving up. I thought Yamaha might have an ideal model, but alas it's missing several (important) features like VRR. They claim it'll get those features "in a future update" but there's no timeframe. At that point, I might as well just wait for new models from Denon, Pioneer, Sony, Onkyo, etc. Hopefully one of those companies will get something decent out the door before August.

quiktake

Gawd
Realistically, I think it will take two years to really iron out the bugs and deal with shortages pushing up prices and slowing release dates. If you can't wait, I would get the 8K Yamaha at Costco that pops in stock sometimes.