HDHR DVR will NOT be launching with DRM support for CableCard protected content as stated FYI

staknhalo

Supreme [H]ardness
http://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2017/01/06/silicondust-update-on-hdhomerun-dvr-and-more/

Everyone wants to know when HDHomeRun DVR is going to be released. Their plan is to launch a release candidate (RC) in Q1 this year. That RC will include over the air (OTA) and unencrypted cable support in the United States, Canada, U.K., New Zealand, most of Western Europe, and Finland. For those of you with copy-protected channels using the HDHomeRun Prime, unfortunately you’re going to need to a wait a little longer. They’ve not forgotten about you, and there’s been a tremendous amount of work in making sure they will be able to support the capability on multiple platforms. They also need to make sure they do it right otherwise they could face massive fines. So expect support for copy-protected cable to come after the official release. The release candidate period is expected to last for two to four weeks.

Sounds a lot like they're waiting on CableLABS. Either way that gets a "meh" from me, i've already moved on to using Plex to record stuff, I don't record any Copy Once channels.

I supported the kickstarter. The initial pitch by the company was great. Lost faith after the incredibly long delays. All my cable channels are protected. The windows 7 MCE guide switch to rovio didn't help either. Been rocking lifetime Tivos and minis for over a year and haven't looked back. My 2 HDHR Primes have been in the closet collecting dust.

I supported the kickstarter. The initial pitch by the company was great. Lost faith after the incredibly long delays. All my cable channels are protected. The windows 7 MCE guide switch to rovio didn't help either. Been rocking lifetime Tivos and minis for over a year and haven't looked back. My 2 HDHR Primes have been in the closet collecting dust.

Like just about every other kickstarter lol. I'll never understand people who toss money at that site.

Can you get refunds?

I did a chargeback for my $150 in Oct 2015 (money finally refunded in Feb 2016 after the credit card company investigated my claims) after it became apparent how shit the actual product they were developing was, how they intentionally left pertinent information out of the Kickstarter pitch, straight up lies they told and the companies shitty practices/attitude towards their customers/backers.

That was the only way to get one. Kickstarter doesn't offer actual refunds.

Prob too late to do a chargaback now though. Worst they can tell you is just 'no', so still worth a shot I guess.

I'm not concerned. They will likely deliver on the final product, just over 2 years late. And to be honest, I have 8 tuners between my tivos, all networked, with Netflix and plex. I'm better off now anyway. And it's much easier for my kids to use.

That was the only way to get one. Kickstarter doesn't offer actual refunds.

Stay away from there, waste of money. The people running the pebble kickstarter made god knows how much from fitbit... the people who "invested" got a crappy looking watch. Na, not for me.

I'm not concerned. They will likely deliver on the final product, just over 2 years late. And to be honest, I have 8 tuners between my tivos, all networked, with Netflix and plex. I'm better off now anyway. And it's much easier for my kids to use.

Yeah, I got a Tivo Roamio w/ Lifetime and some Minis from a Tivo Summer Sale they were having at the time I decided to do the chargeback for the HDHR DVR. Lucked out there and it all worked itself out for the better in the end.

Stay away from there, waste of money. The people running the pebble kickstarter made god knows how much from fitbit... the people who "invested" got a crappy looking watch. Na, not for me.

The HDHR DVR was my first and last Kickstarter, lol.

Back