HDDs and silence (replacing noisy Maxtors, suggestions?)

velusip

[H]ard|Gawd
Replacing two drives with "silent" alternatives:

I have:
80GB Maxtor IDE ATA133 (crazy loud "J"-bearings.)

120GB Maxtor IDE ATA133 [much quieter (could be FDB), but still too much]

I've been reading around within the forums here as well as at ncix.com for opinions and apparently Seagate and Samsung make some quiet drives. Now, the last time I used Seagates was back in the SCSI Ultra 2 Fast Wide days and Samsung's prices are frighteningly low...

I see:
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.7 200GB HARD DRIVE 7200RPM 8MB 8.5MS U100 OEM IDE HD @ $143CDN (apparently run hot)

SAMSUNG SPINPOINT HARD DRIVE 160GB 7200RPM 8MB ATA133 OEM @ $107CDN (apparently run very cool)

Might anyone vouch for either of these drives as being quiet or quieter than the other? Any other ideas? Are there any massive quiet IDE drives (250GB+)?

It is very important that my computer makes very little sound. I already have it down to just 1 fan, but perhaps with proper wire care and convection I can eliminate that too. Now HDD's produce heat too, and adding the wrong HDD might raise the case temp a few degrees. Would either of these (or any other) help actually cool the temp down?

You could always watercool the drives then wrap them in foam.. that should keep them quiet, but if you don't cool them, that would cause them to overheat.

==>lazn

I've used both the Seagate and Samsung and both are quiet. And the Seagates do not run hot, all of mine run very cool. I'd recommend the Seagate myself.

the 200GB seagate to me runs cool, i have 2 80mm fans running over them.

A few months from now ill be putting togethor a better machine with 2-4 raptors and another 2 or so 500GB seagates. There all gona be liquid cooled using the aquacomputer micro hd blocks togethor with thermal conducting mixture. All the drives will be mounted in a custom made bracket and then insulated using sound proof material/rubber mountings. the bracket will be mounted in the top (inside) of the case inbetween the PSU and optical drives.

The benefits are the followings
1) i can install alot of HD's without blocking the front intake fan.
2) they can be insulated to completly avoid vibrations and noise.
3) they will run cooler.

the bad thing is that the depth of the case limits you in how many HD's you can install, preferably an EATX case would be ideal. Also you will probably lose two 5 1/4" bays an LCD/fan controller will fit fine in both bays.

We will see what happens, anyone want to try this project feel free.

Have you checked out the drive suspension methods discussed at silentpcreview.com? Currently the most favoured HDs among among the users of that site are the Samsung Spinpoints. The Barracudas apparently have not been quiet since the Barracuda IV. Since quiet HDs like the Spinpoint mainly produce noise through vibration transmitted to the case (as opposed to airborne noises like whining), the best solution right now for silencing is some kind of suspension that de-couples the HD from the case. The quietest solutions are the ones that suspend the HD with some kind of elastic string so that the drive is not attached to the case or HD cage at all. A lot of guys at silentpcreview post pics of their home-brew suspensions. Or you could grab a NoiseMagic NoVibes III which is an elastic-band-thingy type of suspension device that is made to fit into a 5.25" drive cage.

Right now I have my Samsung Spinpoint 120GB "suspended" by simply sitting it on some soft foam rubber material on the bottom of my case at the front. I have it rigged so there is some air flow underneath the drive. I can't hear the seek noises from where I sit. De-coupling the HD from the case or drive cage may increase heat a bit b/c the case or cage may act a a heat sink to some extent. But my HD doesn't get hot b/c it is at the bottom of the case right in front of the front bezel fan opening (I don't have a front fan and my rear fan is at about 700 or 800 RPM).

I can't really rig up an elastic-string-thingy suspension because of the way my case is designed, and also I don't want my drive to swing around when I move my case around. So I have ordered the Noisemagic NoVibes III and should have it in the next couple of days. I will try to attach it somehow to the bottom of my case for the better cooling down there. The case is hotter up in the optical drive bays so I am going to try to avoid putting it up there.

Hope this helps.

Your right about the suspension, as long as the drive isnt physicly connected to the chassis using screws then the vibrations wont be transfered to the chassis. ill take a look at the ones you suggested but this looks like a big project for me to do now.

I have 3 Maxtor drives and I used Maxtors software AMSET - Acoustic Management Utility - to turn on silent mode. I can hardly hear my drives now.

Samsung is going to be releasing 200 and 250 gb versions of their drives soon, they are already on some European sites but I am not sure when they are going to be coming here. Samsung are the quietest drives I have had

My dad's 120GB Barracuda 7200.7 is imperceptibly quiet. I highly recommend it. (Of course the hardcore silent enthusiasts will tell you that the 'Cuda IV with SeaShield is quieter. Bah, you don't want a 2MB cache.)

Thanks for the great posts/info.

I didn't even think of applying BDSM to computing- I'll definitely have to rig some suspension up. To maintain the quiet as well as cool case concept, I'm thinking hanging them vertically inline with a vent, white nylon rope, and a gag.

Still no decisions made, however good things about both brands everywhere... so I really don't mind getting either. Perhaps within the next few days I'll just spontainously buy the 200GB BARRACUDA 7200.7 and hang it there by its own ribbon.

New points to consider concerning quiet/cool ratio: (more complexities to complex customization.)
- Mounting a drive to the chassis may offer some heat dissipation, but increase noise through resonance.
- Contra, suspending/padding will halt this probable heat dissipation.

Considerig both my Maxtors burn to the touch, anything will be an improvement.

Back