HDD Prices rocketing?

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
Okay, I guess I'm not up to date, was there a recent shortage of something because now the prices of HDs are way up there! I just noticed it today when someone asked me about replacing their dead HD and when I searched MC's site...man oh man, it's not what I used to see like 3-5 months ago when I last checked. :confused:

I got two WD Black 1TB back then for around $100, now it's $199!!!

Crap.

I have had the parts for a FreeNAS ZFS build in my NewEgg wishlist for months, including 4x 2TB Samsung drives. I meant to order this system right before Thanksgiving, after returning from a 3-week-long business trip in Europe (where I am currently). I logged into NE yesterday and almost had a heart attack when I noticed that drives had like quadrupled in price!!!

Oh well, guess I won't be building it anytime soon.

Crap.

I have had the parts for a FreeNAS ZFS build in my NewEgg wishlist for months, including 4x 2TB Samsung drives. I meant to order this system right before Thanksgiving, after returning from a 3-week-long business trip in Europe (where I am currently). I logged into NE yesterday and almost had a heart attack when I noticed that drives had like quadrupled in price!!!

Oh well, guess I won't be building it anytime soon.

If you shop around you should be able to find some similar priced drives. Depends what you want and what price is your limit of course.

2 weeks ago I picked up the entire stock of 2TB WD Green at Best Buy. They were selling for $80 so figured I would just stock up. lol

Not sure if now is the same as 2 weeks ago but retail was still selling at usual prices.

Even retail is going up, especially for internal drives. I picked up two Samsung HD103SJ drives three weeks ago for $50 each at Fry's. Planned on picking up two more after my next paycheck. Went in last week and they were up to $110 each!! Decided that I didn't need them that bad right now.

Even external prices seem to be going up. I grabbed a 500GB Seagate Essentials drive for $50 that same week and it is now up to $90 at Fry's.

I have seen a few good black friday deals posted so if you need one that will be a good time to get one.

of course 3 months ago you could get them dirt cheap it seemed like but if you need one now you need one now.

FWIW, Costco has their 2TB Seagate Go Flex Desk external drives for $99 right now, and on black friday and the following saturday, they will have an additional $30 off (they'll price match ;) ). I bought 6 of them with the intention of using them in my NAS box I'm building. Got home, tore one apart and they actually used Seagate Barracuda SATA III 7200rpm drives in them. Infact it's this exact drive based on the model number on the drive. :) They have a limitation of two per customer...they're apparently very strict with that limit ;) :D

I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to buy an external drive with the intention of tearing it apart and using the drive internally. Something about voiding the warranties keeps stopping me ;( I know in the past that drives I've done this on weren't recognized by WD, Seagate, etc. as valid for RMA as bare drives, and usually there is a sticker on the case that has to be broken to get them open.

Is this still the case with external drives now?

I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to buy an external drive with the intention of tearing it apart and using the drive internally. Something about voiding the warranties keeps stopping me ;( I know in the past that drives I've done this on weren't recognized by WD, Seagate, etc. as valid for RMA as bare drives, and usually there is a sticker on the case that has to be broken to get them open.

Is this still the case with external drives now?
Not sure, there weren't any stickers that had to be broken to get it open though. I could put it back together and you'd never know it was apart. I'll see if I can lookup the serial number on Seagate's site.

Confirmed :)

web.png

FWIW, I've done this in the past and have always been able to get my drives replaced. (WD and Seagate)

Well, that answer's my question :D No Costco account, but I'll have to start watching Sam's Club and other local stores I guess...

BB will have the 3tb ones cheap on BF, but if you live in a major city good luck getting one.

Back