HDD Power on time 3068 days...

Abdulack

n00b
Hello guys Im a bit worried because the 2TB HITACHI hdd (from 2010) I just bough from CEX it says 3068 days power on time, thats like 8 years and a half. and also it says more than 100 days Estimated remaining lifetime while all of my other drives say more than 1000 days. Im planning to use this hdd as a secundary drive to store games. Should I be worried, whats the best way to test the hdd is funcioning correctly and is the remaining lifetime shown on HDsentinel accurate ?
wejfdmuwwsa81.png

I see no reason to be worried. Those old Hitachi drives are known to be some of the best. I have a 24bay SAS disk shelf connected to my server that had a bunch of those drives in it. I've slowly been swapping them out for larger drives but all of them still run perfectly. Most of mine have around 7.5 - 8 yrs of power on time with no issues. A hard drive can always fail at any moment without warning but it's not likely in my experience. My old Hitachi drives are still in use in my media server. I'd keep running mine until they die but I expect I will need to replace them for more storage space before that happens. Maybe just keep a backup of any important data that may reside on that drive.

Just keep an eye on the SMART info and if you start to see Reallocated Sectors, especially more than a handful, then that's when you should worry.

I have two in one of my file servers, both nearing 100k power-on hours (11+ years). I still trust them enough to keep them in Raid-0, however the info on those drives isn't exactly important. One drive developed a single Reallocated Sector about 8 years ago but the count has not increased and the drive has continued to perform as expected, so I chalked that one up as a fluke.

Hitachi2tb2.png Hitachi2tb1.png

Oh ok thx so much guys, I guess Im fine then. PPl on Reddit telling me that I should replace the Drive asap.
This is what CrystalDiskInfo says so I should be fine:
Capture.PNG

Plus, if this is just for games, then it's not really much of a concern, as long as you backup save files for any non-cloud saved games. Just don't use it to store anything you actually care about.

Reactions: travm
like this
People on reddit aren't a great resource, IMHO. Specialized forums are usually better. The drive is fine at this point. No need to worry. It could go south at any point, but that's true of all drives. At some point the bathtub curve goes back up, and it's unlikely the drive will live forever, but worst caae, you redownload the games you still want to play.

If you monitor SMART attributes, you'll often get some amount of warning before the death. I just total all the blah blah sector counts and if it goes up, start to wonder. For a personal drive that you check every once in a while, replace when the total is 10 or higher; for a production drive with automated checks, check when the total is 100 or higher, or if you get more than 10 in a day.

Plus, if this is just for games, then it's not really much of a concern, as long as you backup save files for any non-cloud saved games. Just don't use it to store anything you actually care about.
Exactly this. I have a pair of extremely old 500gb Seagate drives that hold games. Works great, and when they die, I'll be able to have everything back in working order in about an hour.

Every drive that has ever failed on me started talking first (wonky noises for months)

View attachment 434622

I'd be sort of curious why your drive negotiated SATA/150 speeds. It would have to be a very ancient motherboard at this point to not support at least SATA/300, which is what this drive supports. SATA/150 probably wouldn't bottleneck you in practice, but the drive falling back to the slower speed might be indicative of a bad or low quality SATA cable.

I'd be sort of curious why your drive negotiated SATA/150 speeds. It would have to be a very ancient motherboard at this point to not support at least SATA/300, which is what this drive supports. SATA/150 probably wouldn't bottleneck you in practice, but the drive falling back to the slower speed might be indicative of a bad or low quality SATA cable.
hmm Im using a weird configuration to test this drive...since I dont have my desktop PC with me at the moment, Im using my mom's AIO HP ProOne 600 G1 and well I have the back opened cuz the drive does not fit properly and is a weird mess, to be fair I only connected the drive to see if it works and did some quick testings. But yeah its weird cuz the SSD reports as SATA/600 in the same program
asf.PNG
Here are some results from CrystalDiskMark are these speeds normal for this drive?

....jpg

Last edited:
Oh ok thx so much guys, I guess Im fine then. PPl on Reddit telling me that I should replace the Drive asap.
View attachment 434622

Looks completely fine! And the benchmarks too. I have a lot of old drives, overall I've rarely had any failures and almost always the failures started with bad sectors and happened within the warranty period aka they showed up really fast on brand new drives.

While I don't believe you have a specific issue, I don't trust my file server data to drives more than 5/7 years old. At the latest, atfter 6/7 years, I either build a whole new file server or at least swap out the drives.

Back