HDD NAS Dilemma - Mix drives?

SadTelevision8558

Limp Gawd
Long story: I wanted to build a 10 drive raidz2 NAS for home storage for a while. I had 5 Samsung F4s from earlier this year and I finally put together a system in September. I wanted to test all the setup and stuff, but with grad school and all I've been busy as hell. I placed another order for 5 more drives in Sept, but I cancelled it because I wanted to make sure all the software worked... and that I could setup the NAS.

Big mistake right? Because who knew hard drives would shoot up in price from $79.99 to $159 on Amazon for these F4s? ARGHHH. I got everything up and running the first week of November which was too late.

Now I need the additional 5 to finish.

I planned to build a 10 drive raidz2 setup. I have several options:

1) Go with 5 drives now and use a raidz1 setup. When prices come down, put in another 5 in a raidz1 setup. Obviously, these are two vdevs now and its' not as reliable as having 1 giant 10 drive setup with 2 redundant drives.

2) Go with WD or Seagate 2TB drives, have 10 drives (5 Samsung, 5 whatever) and run with it. SHould've jumped on those $70 WD 2TB drives for Black Friday. Certainly this is less reliable and not that great of a setup by mixing drives, but I'm not shooting for enterprise reliability. This is a home NAS.

3) Sit around and wait for prices to come down. My data is stored really horribly on my desktop computer with 3 different HDDs of different sizes. It's all a mess, and I really would like some organization. Realistically, I can probably go with the amount of space I have for another 6 months or so, but I don't think I can wait another year for HDD prices to come down.

What does [H] think?

Don't see anything wrong with mixing drives. Most people do it on purpose to avoid the dreaded "bad batch".

You know that for a home storage they are other solutions that allow you to mix any kind of drives (size, interface, speed, etc) while providing a single drive protection - FlexRAID, unRAID...

Back