HDD mounting holes

DF-1

2[H]4U
I bought a 18tb wd red pro.
I have a xigmatek elysium case. Up to now all my HDD (seagate) and SSDs fit perfectly.

This drive has 2 holes instead of 3 like the rest and I can't mount it. I've tried everything i could think of for over an hour, but I can't find a good solution.

Any ideas? I'm not buying a new case just for this drive.

I have a xigmatek elysium case. Up to now all my HDD (seagate) and SSDs fit perfectly.

This drive has 2 holes instead of 3 like the rest and I can't mount it. I've tried everything i could think of for over an hour, but I can't find a good solution.

is there a peg for the third hole? is so, remove it.
edit: i google the case, it has those stupid twist lock things. remove that and the pegs from the back, slide it in and use screws.

remove the retaining clip and just use the screws on the end of drive.
and just be careful when moving the case so the drive doesn't bounce around.

The end of the drive(and the 2nd hole) hangs out (also for the seagates but for them it's for the 3rd hole, but theyre very secure with 4/6 screws on both sides). No way to attach it to anything. I tried the bottom holes too in every orientation.

The twist locks aren't directly in contact with any drive. It's in contact with this bay with the fan.

Typing on a phone sucks

The end of the drive(and the 2nd hole) hangs out (also for the seagates but theyre very secure with 4/6 screws on both sides). No way to attach it to anything. I tried the bottom holes too in every orientation.

The twist locks aren't directly in contact with any drive. It's in contact with this bay with the fan.

Typing on a phone sucks
If you remove the lock, one hole should be visible and that is what you screw in, on both sides. that is the only way you are going to mount that drive into the case.
I didn't look at the front, does it have 5-1/4" bay? if so, you can get a sled to mount the drive up there.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could get these drive bay kits so you can pull the drives out of the front,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DWHLFMA
IMG_2222.JPEG

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Does the case take "5.25" drives? If so you can use an adapter (although the most common style of adapter won't work for the same reason).

Zepher beat me to it, I'm saying the same thing.

Does the case take "5.25" drives? If so you can use an adapter (although the most common style of adapter won't work for the same reason).
does it have 5-1/4" bay? if so, you can get a sled to mount the drive up there.
This is one that works with that drive, all the other ones use the middle hole that you don't have,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2743725636...9Bdq8zy5-hPbG-cYDHpzSwmUth0bjiXU6XO0on-YbcpCw

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Those things make the annoying tick every 5 seconds. Get one of these and you won't hear it. They fit into a 5.25 bay. I run 4 of them to quiet my NAS drives

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P8GP8GQ/ref=twister_B09P8GG99L?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I managed to secure it on one side of the case by angling it at like a 45 degree angle. Doesn't seem to move. It doesn't have any padding for anti vibration in its current state though which is probably bad for longevity (especially since this HDD seems to be loudly vibrating/shaking the case way more than the other ones I have).

If you remove the lock, one hole should be visible and that is what you screw in, on both sides. that is the only way you are going to mount that drive into the case.
I didn't look at the front, does it have 5-1/4" bay? if so, you can get a sled to mount the drive up there.
I can do one on each side probably, but it is not secure at all, it'll spin. yes it does have those bays, newegg says:
  • 12 External 5.25" Drive Bays
  • 8 Internal 3.5" Drive Bays
https://www.newegg.com/all-black-xigmatek-elysium-black-atx-super-tower/p/N82E16811815011

thanks for the ebay link.

Those things make the annoying tick every 5 seconds. Get one of these and you won't hear it. They fit into a 5.25 bay. I run 4 of them to quiet my NAS drives

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09P8GP8GQ/ref=twister_B09P8GG99L?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

yeah this thing is NOISY compared to my other HDDs. Almost makes it seem like somethings wrong, but I've heard similar WD drives (not in my system) before.
That'll fit this odd HDD?

I managed to secure it on one side of the case by angling it at like a 45 degree angle.
Anything but 0/90° used to be highly discouraged for spinners. Not sure if applies to modern drives.

I managed to secure it on one side of the case by angling it at like a 45 degree angle. Doesn't seem to move. It doesn't have any padding for anti vibration in its current state though which is probably bad for longevity (especially since this HDD seems to be loudly vibrating/shaking the case way more than the other ones I have).

I can do one on each side probably, but it is not secure at all, it'll spin. yes it does have those bays, newegg says:
https://www.newegg.com/all-black-xigmatek-elysium-black-atx-super-tower/p/N82E16811815011

yeah this thing is NOISY compared to my other HDDs. Almost makes it seem like somethings wrong, but I've heard similar WD drives (not in my system) before.
I run it on WD 6tb disks, so it’ll definitely attach to your drive. If you have a 5.25 spot available it’s worth a shot.

I have the same 18TB Red Pro and it is a noisy drive, louder than all of the other drives in my NAS. I think my old WD Black 4TB Drives are about the same level of noise.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Back