HDD is getting bad sectors gradually

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by Swagata, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Swagata

Swagata n00b

This is 3 TB WD Green HDD. I use a sofware called Hard Disk Sentinel. Recently it is showing the hdd is getting bad sectors. Ive tried thr windows built in check disk but it finds no error. Is there anything I can do now ? Some pics added.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. blandead

blandead Limp Gawd

You can try a chkddk /B

If errors keep increasing - clone or duplicate drive asap, it's only a matter of time

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  3. Swagata

Swagata n00b

cant buy new hdd now. if i dont use the hdd; i mean disconnect it and just keep it; would it live a bit more ?

4. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

No guarantees.

5. PigLover

PigLover [H]ard|Gawd

That drive is about to die. If you can't get a place to move the data you should prepare to lose it. Turning off the drive and not touching it might help - but it also might let whatever has broken loose settle in hard...Russian roulette.

Monkey God and drescherjm like this.
  6. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

chkdsk /r /f
    backup your data

7. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Don't need the /f after a /r, it's implied. :geek:

8. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

Awesome, thanks for having my back on that one.

9. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

Solution for the future, buy HGST (Hitachi).

10. AlienTech

AlienTech Limp Gawd

I have a seagate 2TB HD that now has like 32000 relocated sectors. For a while thee the number was going up by the hundreds every week but then it stopped. I used it for a year before swapping it out and just using it as a backup drive. Although nothing shows an error. The files on it seem fine. But I had other drives with just 1 or 2 relocated sectors that would error out all the time or get time outs etc. Not sure what the deal is. I also use a samsung HD with like 2 relocated sectors and although I get the smart error, nothing else says anything about it. So I think it depends.

11. AlienTech

AlienTech Limp Gawd

Does HGST report relocated sectors? I have a couple of HGST drives which even when abused dont show any bad sectors. Ofcourse I dont drop them to see if it actually works. But other drives with such abuse would get errors now and then. In fact the HGST drives never shows any errors for anything. I mean the CRC, DMA, high fly writes etc etc etc... Its all 0 for the HGST.

12. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

Yes. they do. However (at least in my experience) its rare for a HGST drive to have problems. Out of 50+ drives at work (some 6+ years old) only 2 have had a bad sector. A third arrived DOA.

AlienTech and Nenu like this.