HDD detected in device mgr - not disk mgr

Outlaw85

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a few drives that were used in my MSA storage and wanting to use them standalone but am having some issues getting them to detect.

Device manager is able to see them but i cant get windows tools or a few third party tools to even detect it to format for use. Any ideas?

upload_2019-10-22_1-14-36.png

upload_2019-10-22_1-14-55.png

upload_2019-10-22_1-16-16.png

upload_2019-10-22_1-16-33.png

upload_2019-10-22_1-17-1.png

How is the drive currently connected? You mentioned "standalone", so I was thinking that you are just using it as a normal SATA drive, but then I noticed that is says "USB Device" in device manager. That would obviously be very odd if it was connected via SATA, etc. If it is indeed in some sort of USB enclosure/adapter, it could be that the USB enclosure/adapter is working but the actual drive itself is not working or not connected properly inside the enclosure. Or the drive could be fine but the USB enclosure/adapter might be having issues.

any chance the drives are encrypted? only thing i could think of for why they can't see the drives.

Sorry. I got a little more info to share.

A. Yes. currently plugged in through a USB-Sata adapter.
B. I do have another 2TB drive that was not in the storage unit and works with the USB adapter. Other non-2TB drives that were also not in the MSA, work on the adapter.
C. When the drives were in the MSA, they were detected and functional (6TB available). It would take a little bit, but I could set up the MSA again to retest.

I’ve seen this when a drive is ATA locked.

Thanks. I'm wondering if that happened as part of a security measure in the MSA and I certainly wasn't thinking of this as a possibility.
I found- https://superuser.com/questions/106...d-hdd-with-an-upper-case-password-if-the-bios

I'll have to give this a try and report back.

What if you go direct to Sata?

I'll have to try while windows is booted or have to use the usb adapter on a laptop with linux.

When I was trying to use them for a new xpenology build, it was hanging at POST. Trying to get into the bios would hang at "entering setup" after I pressed F6. If I pressed nothing, it would just sit at the Intel splash screen.

I don't want to agree with you guys but I fear the same.. This sucks because I then have 3 bad drives.... which is what seems suspicious.

I don't want to agree with you guys but I fear the same.. This sucks because I then have 3 bad drives.... which is what seems suspicious.

try them back in that thing they were in.

maybe it's a firmware thing?

some kind of not DRM but something that makes it so they can't be used in a computer?

try them back in that thing they were in.

maybe it's a firmware thing?

some kind of not DRM but something that makes it so they can't be used in a computer?

I'll have to set everything up but from what I remembered, they did work before I took it all down. sorry if I missed that originally.

**update.
Got to mess with it for a bit. Need to figure out why the live usb didnt work but did see all the drives
20191023_235129.jpg

Last edited:
Only reviving this for an update.

I was trying an SSD in the msa and the same thing happened. I eneded up booting linux on another machine and connecting the disk. I was then able to format and uae it again in windows.

Hope this helps others and thanks for all the input.

Back