HDD about to die (WD Black)

ashmelev75

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been using a WD Black 640GB drive for about 4 month and suddenly it started to take very long time to auto-detect by BIOS. Used to take no more than 10 seconds after power up, now it takes almost a minute. The drive detects fine if I simply reboot my computer.
There are no errors in S.M.A.R.T. and spin up counter there looks fine. I tried to use a different SATA cable and power connector but no luck.

Is my HDD about to die?

Maybe it's taking longer to spin up? That would explain why it doesnt take long to detect after a reboot. If so, then this could be a sign of the motor going bad.

Yes, it sounds like your drive is starting to fail. Hope you do not have any important information you need. Data recovery services are expensive and if you do need to recovery your data, you should stop powering up the drive.

Wow! Mine does the SAME thing. It's a WD10EADS, I never thought it was a big deal. Well that SUCKS!

I wonder if Win7 is to blame. I know it turns off hard drives quite often if they are not in use. Although I don't think it should be doing it to the system drive.

Vista did the same thing. One of the first things I do when installing windows is to turn that off. I don't know if it shortens the life of the drive, I just find it annoying.

Back