HDA Mystique Dolby Digital Encoding Card Info

Muahahaaa, just ordered one of these things, getting it tomorrow :)

It was so sad to upgrade from a NF2 mobo with SoundStorm to a s939 mobo with no SoundStorm, i had to go buy a A2ZS, but now...woohoo *dances*

*Empties garbage bin to make room for the A2ZS*

Donnie27 said:
No, that would get in the way of Creative Labs Bashing! To prove this, I connected to my Audigy2 ZS's mic in to my Bass, set it to Digital it played. My other buddies say their cards, HDA included didn't work. I don't have one to test because I can't see spending $99 on one.True 5.1 is blocked by DRM on the Audigy2/ 2-ZS. But I get Zero Delay like HDA or Turtle Beech with Games, DVDs or DVD Audio Videos.

HDA-M gets Creamed sound wise with the Fully EAX optimized Battlefield2, sorry guys. Delay between action and sound was caused in HalfLife2 and was easy to notice. Saying this ain't bad is a personal pref but saying it doesn't happen is wrong.

Now if I could only Convert my 5.1 24bit/96KHz WAVE files to DVD Format, UMMMM?

Donnie27
I may be misinterpreting what you said, but why would you plug your microphone into your bass output? Also, do you really enjy the echo provided by EAX that much? I always thought it sounded very cheesy and always disabled EAX when I owned a SB card.

MindBuster said:
Muahahaaa, just ordered one of these things, getting it tomorrow :)

It was so sad to upgrade from a NF2 mobo with SoundStorm to a s939 mobo with no SoundStorm, i had to go buy a A2ZS, but now...woohoo *dances*

*Empties garbage bin to make room for the A2ZS*

I assume you just ordered the HDA? If so can you tell me how you like it?
I also have the ASZ2 and have it plugged into a yamaha reciever. Thinking about ditching the Creative for this.

...let me know please!

the@ntipop said:
I may be misinterpreting what you said, but why would you plug your microphone into your bass output? Also, do you really enjy the echo provided by EAX that much? I always thought it sounded very cheesy and always disabled EAX when I owned a SB card.

I plugged my Bass Guitar into the Mic In, also tried a Mic and both worked with Digital Out only checked on the sound card. Creative's software that many here complain about runs rings around HDA-M's. Then it works better, less buggy, and etc.. than the 3rdparty stuff as well for Creative. This is why folks loose settings.

I agree about EAX 1 and 2 as being nothing but different echos or reverbs. I honestly liked my TB Santa Cruz better for Music and Gaming, better than Audigy 1 as well. Once I got an Audigy2 and put the ZS in the other computer, I gave my TB-SC away. I wasn't even impressed by the Audigy 1 either BTW. I got my 25% discount as being part of the Lawsuite for the fake 24bit line they (CL) pushed.

EAX 3 and 4 are completely different creatures. These do four affects at once and it is done in Hardware by the card, not the processor just as Pixel Processing is done in hardware by the video card. DVD decoding, DVD Audio and etc. is also done this way.
I can play a DVD Audio Disk with PowerDVD-6 Delux 9 Software and record it's 5.1 tracks during playback via analog to 24bit 96KHz Wave Files with, you guessed it, Creative's software. Granted, I like 2ch recording with M-Audio better.

Donnie27

This card has killed my framerates. Cpu overhead in DDL mode must be very high unless I screwed up somehow.

With SBlive I was getting 168fps in counterstrike built in stress test with HDA I get 143 !

Call of duty bench was 180 I think and I get like around 145 or so with HDA ! Whats up with that ? Please anyone have a clue ? Can any a/b the sblive and this card in a simillar fasion ?

turdhat said:
This card has killed my framerates. Cpu overhead in DDL mode must be very high unless I screwed up somehow.

With SBlive I was getting 168fps in counterstrike built in stress test with HDA I get 143 !

Call of duty bench was 180 I think and I get like around 145 or so with HDA ! Whats up with that ? Please anyone have a clue ? Can any a/b the sblive and this card in a simillar fasion ?

I havent recieved mine yet, so cant tell ya if it does the same.

But, even if it did, i would much prefer DDL and less FPS.

Btw, do you even need that many FPS ? it's of no use having 31231 FPS in a game if your monitor isnt fast enough to show them, if your monitors refresh rate is at 100 or 120 Hz then 100-120 FPS would be all you need, cuz your monitor cant show them any faster anyway.

turdhat said:

does your gaming experience sound better? When you increase AA or AF setting, your frame rates decrease because of better quality, but for some reason, people complain if fps decrease because of better sound output.

mjz_5 said:
does your gaming experience sound better? When you increase AA or AF setting, your frame rates decrease because of better quality, but for some reason, people complain if fps decrease because of better sound output.

If the game has a Custom DVD type 5.1 sound engine like HalfLife2 there's really not much difference with DD Live. the true measure is turning the sound Quality to "High". It not only cause FPS drops but delay or higher latency.

If the game is like Battle Field 2 and ALL of those games Creative Lists EAX-HD i.e. 3 & 4, then the Creative Card sounds better=P The Audigy 2 ZS and Audigy2 for that matter makes the sounds seem to come from you. An example I was use a stick to fly a jet in BF#1 and a friend thought i was using a Force Feed Joystick that made sounds because machine gun sounds seemed to be coming from the stick infron and slightly to the right, right where the gun sits on the F16.

Also, unless you have digital headphones, Intel's 3D-Headphone settings blows the others out of the water, but maybe again that's just me. This is also done while latency so low you can't tell like HDA-M or Turtle Beach or anyone Else. I plan on replacing my A2 ZS as soon as one of them does. I still have a bad taste after MegaWorks 650 dying one week after the waranty, my Logitechs died after 13 months. So I only do receivers and Home Speakers. I also don't like the way they did the 25% discount I got. They raised their already high prices by 25%, that sucks!

Donnie27

my experience was the complete opposite,

for years i was all into the SBLive/Audigy/Audigy2 because it was always marketed as the best soundcard for gaming..

once i hooked up my Mystique though i was instantly convinced other wise..

keep in mind this is hooking it upto a receiver..

with the audigy2 i was using the 6analogue outputs and the mystique i was using the 1 digital.

sure there was an FPS hit for DDL mode but the sound quality was 10xs my audigy2

i think thomase put it best in the X-Fi thread

Does it bother anyone else that the perception of computer audio is so backwards that most people attribute the value of a particular audio solution not to the quality of the experience, but to what percentage of CPU is used (lower being better)? Its so bad that even Creative's marketing department is using this perception to market their new product to gamers. When we talk about video, everyone wants AA, pretty shaders, special effects, etc. When it comes to sound, the judgement of quality is binary - either you hear it or you don't.

turdhat said:

are you using the digital or analog outs?

Problem is that my minimum frame rate is sucking now. No, i dont need 1020102 frames a sec hehe. Call Of duty Uo is my primary game and online in a bsuy server it is much more choppy and there are many more instances of slow down which is very noticable. i hope its something i did wrong. Goona trouble shoot when I get home. Any suggestions ?

Ok, i got the HDA now, been playing around with it for an hour, playing games, listening to music, it sounds SO much better than my A2ZS.

Im using the DDL optical out to z-680, A8V mobo.

Gonna try out my THX demo DVD and my DD test DVD later.

The A2ZS got a new home, the garbage bin :)

You should sell that A2ZS, I'm sure someone is looking for one in the FS/T section.

Newbify2 said:
You should sell that A2ZS, I'm sure someone is looking for one in the FS/T section.

Im sure noone there would pay the shipping from Denmark :)

<------- Location

....and ofcourse, it was just a way to exaggerate, i have it in a drawer, got enough spare parts to build a fourth computer, only need case and psu, could prolly use a second htpc, for my bedroom. :)

yea that is definately another thing the Mystique is good for, an HTPC..

i just put in a PVR-250 and that coupled with the HDA Mystique makes for an awesome HTPC Setup..

H-street said:
my experience was the complete opposite,

for years i was all into the SBLive/Audigy/Audigy2 because it was always marketed as the best soundcard for gaming..

First of all, I'd never put the SBLive and Audigy1 in the performance range as the Audigy2 or the Audigy2/2 ZS, I lost count of how many I've installed.

once i hooked up my Mystique though i was instantly convinced other wise..

keep in mind this is hooking it upto a receiver.

with the audigy2 i was using the 6analogue outputs and the mystique i was using the 1 digital.

sure there was an FPS hit for DDL mode but the sound quality was 10xs my audigy2

i think thomase put it best in the X-Fi thread

Same here! One Technics and One Pioneer.

IMHO, FPS hit was not as bad as the delay. The, BF2 doesn't really have a DVD like Sound Engine like Half Life 2 or even UT2K3, 4 and etc.. The EAX 3 and 4 Games are meant to que not only direction but covered and uncovered objects, Inside-Outside, Elevation and even transistion the affects while doing so. SO maybe my hearing an sight is messed up, maybe I'm just seeing things happen and then hearing the sound late when no one else is. I also don't like resetting settings everytime I reboot. Has this been fixed yet?

Sure I'd love to replace the 3 double shielded RCA Cables and I'd also love for other cards to support EAX 3 and 4. CPU usage is not that big of deal with the powerful systems most Gamers here use. For home movies, you're kidding me? A ready to play out the BOX Set top DVD player with Digital out can be had for 29 dollars. I sure as hell don't need a Computer or a $99 sound card for that.

Its so bad that even Creative's marketing department is using this perception to market their new product to gamers. When we talk about video, everyone wants AA, pretty shaders, special effects, etc. When it comes to sound, the judgement of quality is binary - either you hear it or you don't.

I couldn't disagree with this one more than anything I've read. It's called EAR CANDY just as soupped up Video is called eye candy when 32bit color and full blown AA/AF at least 1600 X 1200. Now the link provided by Coolguy61 is pretty much what I've have written.

Sound quality from an analog connection to my reference speakers, the Altec Lansing MX5021, sounded superb. In an informal hearing test against the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, I honestly could not tell the two apart in terms of sound quality; whether I was listening to CD, mp3 music of various genres, various movies, and various games such as Half-Life 2 and World of Warcraft. To simply match the Audigy 2 ZS in terms of sound quality is job well done by the X-Mystique 7.1 Gold.

So this reviewer doesn't agree with a lot of the Creative bashing here either.

Donnie27

I got the card recently and love. Don't notice any sort of lag whatsoever when playing games, and if I get a framerate loss, I don't really notice it either.

Dude, that's like saying you like blue colored ketchup instead of red. It still tastes... errr plays, the same. You don't need 180 fps in a game. or 168, or hell even 143.

Only problem I have so far with the card is the mic input. I can't seem to turn it up loud enough. It's EXTREMELY quiet, even with it turned all the way up, and everything turned up in ventrilo. =\ Kind of a pain in the ass considering I use it so much, but now I have to almost yell for people to hear me. Anyone else have this problem?

ive had this card for about a month, and i love it. sounds better than anything else ive ever had, and the DDL for games is terrific on my reciever. i didnt and wont read the whole thread, but theres my 2c.

PowerLlama said:
Only problem I have so far with the card is the mic input. I can't seem to turn it up loud enough. It's EXTREMELY quiet, even with it turned all the way up, and everything turned up in ventrilo. =\ Kind of a pain in the ass considering I use it so much, but now I have to almost yell for people to hear me. Anyone else have this problem?

Yep, all the cards have a defective mic input. I have it, my friends that own this card have it and a couple other people on this forum have reported it as well. Funny that not a lot people notice it tho, must not be a lot of gamers that use mics in here with this card.

2 things you can do:
1). set the volume to max on mic recording and turn on mic boost so people can barely hear you (and have lots of echo and distortion mixed in as well).
2). Pop in a spare audio card that has a properly working mic input (or use the onboard mic input) and use that for voice recording only. (Had to do that with my audigy1)

Well after reading this entire thread, you guys have convinced me to get this card. I was a bit skeptical about the Audigy 2 (From having poor esperiences with SB products in the past). I just hope I get to see somewhat of an improvment over my TurtleBeach Santa Cruz card.

From what I have read on other forums almost everyone likes this card. It seems to outpreform the Audigy 2 in the drivers category (which is what makes or breaks a card).

Ill post back here once I recieve mine, tomorrow :)

DaRkF0g said:
Well after reading this entire thread, you guys have convinced me to get this card. I was a bit skeptical about the Audigy 2 (From having poor esperiences with SB products in the past). I just hope I get to see somewhat of an improvment over my TurtleBeach Santa Cruz card.

From what I have read on other forums almost everyone likes this card. It seems to outpreform the Audigy 2 in the drivers category (which is what makes or breaks a card).

Ill post back here once I recieve mine, tomorrow :)

This to all of ya'!

Since your card is on the way, I'm not trying to spam ya'.

Past drivers (and Hardware for that matter) mean almost nothing in this market. Again, that's only due to Creative bashing that goes on here. ATI use to make crappy drivers. Audigy2 and 2 ZS have pretty good drivers. Too many non Creative users and folks with an axe to grind determine reality instead. Saying Drivers that can't even hold setting after a system reboot is just as good as the Audigy2 and 2 ZS is a bunch of whooie. I asked if this was fixed?

Audigy1 Drivers and the card sucked BTW! IMHO, Creative should have either A. Recalled it or B. Made a very favorable trade for updated cards.

As for DDL, you need a DDL live SOURCE to get it. Saying it will turn a non DDL source into real Discrete 5.1 is not only wrong, it's pretty dumb. The card's best feature is the ability to do a Complete RAW bypass. Which means it's doing NOTHING!

Donnie27

if we're creative bashers, what does that make you, a HDA Mystique basher?

The bottom line is this card sounds better in games than the audigy 2zs. And I think that depends on your ears and more so your speakers. I don't anyone needs to "bash" any manufacturer. But people sure can complain about creative offering relatively similar products without huge progression in audio quality. I don't think the audigy2zs is a bad card, and I have kept it. But I don't think it is suited for a HT setup, and that is not too surprising. I still think the audigy 2zs is the best choice for gaming rigs with standard pc speakers.

I use digital passthrough for music and have my receiver through it into Pro Logic II. Sounds way better to me than encoding into DDL.

I emailed HiTech and they replied in a couple of days saying new drivers would be out around the end of august.

Hopefully that is true! I want to switch to x64.

mjz_5 said:

Did you read what I said about HDA-M? Just like the reviewer, I said it sounded the same? How is that bashing? I said the two I saw (on another thread) didn't hold the settings, that's sign of bad drivers and asked was it fixed. Is pointing out that you need a DDL source to get DDL Bashing? If it sounded as good on Battlefield 2 as it did with HalfLife 2 I'd be on it in a nano second, to me, that wasn't the case. If I have a HTPC, it's be way the hell too easy to use a $39 settop DVD player or even a $129 Player Recorder. Spending $99 seems kind of Lame. Now if it supported EAX 3 and 4, had a hardware MLP chip to process this stuff on-the-fly, sure!

Donnie27

anyone have any positive thoughts on this coupled with let's say a logitech Z5500? (sorry if this has been posted before).

flip

Droban said:
The bottom line is this card sounds better in games than the audigy 2zs. And I think that depends on your ears and more so your speakers. I don't anyone needs to "bash" any manufacturer. But people sure can complain about creative offering relatively similar products without huge progression in audio quality. I don't think the audigy2zs is a bad card, and I have kept it. But I don't think it is suited for a HT setup, and that is not too surprising. I still think the audigy 2zs is the best choice for gaming rigs with standard pc speakers.

I use digital passthrough for music and have my receiver through it into Pro Logic II. Sounds way better to me than encoding into DDL.

I emailed HiTech and they replied in a couple of days saying new drivers would be out around the end of august.

Hopefully that is true! I want to switch to x64.

I agree more than I disagree. When I was in the Army, us GIs liked many different Kinds of Music and the way that Music was reproduced. In the Frankfurt/RM Audio Club there were B&O, Klipsch, Denon, Phase Lenear and you name it. Many folks thought the high end stuff was a ripp-off. Many were just not use to true HiFi. Other were and they still like that lower end and mid ranged stuff.

I play my Audigy 2 ZS through an older Pioneer VSX-D711 and yes, I use 3 shielded L&R RCA cables and Digital 96KHz Stereo for 2 Ch Stereo Music, and Analog for DVD Audio. I have power DVD 6 Delux 6ch installed. Favaorite DVD Audio? A tie, Hotel California and Deep Purple's Machinehead.

IMHO, HDA-M is about $30 too expensive. Too bad the Audigy 2 ZS's SPDIF is limited to Pro Logic1 & 2 and NEO-6 and True RAW bypass is blocked.

Donnie27

mjz_5 said:

This is bashing!

Originally Posted by H-street
yea it works fine with BF2 in software..

not many cards support BF2 in hardware though.. BF2's audio support itself is very poor and its video support is even worse..

BF2 Supports something many here don't like so they call it poor. It supports EAX 3 and 4 and sounds great! That's one of the reasons I pointed it out! A buddy played the game and heard something behind him, turned around and didn't see anything. Turned again and was killed. Tank was behind the wall. In this same case, I got a clear que that a wall was between me and an APC (Obstruction). Yet, Creative is lucky most games don't do like HL2 use custom DVD-like sound engines.

http://www.soundblaster.com/gaming/

Donnie27

itr said:
i am also interested hooking this card to a z-5500 system.

Then go HDA-M you're not going to get a better SPDIF-out performing card=P

Donnie27

(on 64bit drivers....)

" Park
<digitalaudio.co.kr> to HiTeC, me
More options Jul 31 (2 days ago)
Dear Mr.Roe

Hello.

Sorry for inconvenience.
As our guess we may release it until end of Aug.
Please wait for a while

Thanks.

Best regards
Park. "

Their talking about the final 64 bit release correct? Because the betas are already avalible.

Donnie27 said:
This is bashing!

BF2 Supports something many here don't like so they call it poor. It supports EAX 3 and 4 and sound great! That's on the reasons I ported it out! A buddy played the game and heard something behind him, turned around and didn't see anything. Turned again and was killed. Tank was behind the wall. In this same case, I got a clear que that a wall was between me and an APC (Obstruction). Yet, Creative is lucky most games don't do like HL2 use custom DVD-like sound engines.

http://www.soundblaster.com/gaming/

Donnie27

lol that is just taking my quote a little out of context..

so i'll reiterate
From the BF2 readme.txt
We recommend Creative sound cards for use with Battlefield 2.

now look down further

- The following sound cards do not support the Hardware Audio
Renderer option:

Creative Labs SB Audigy 2 NX
Creative Labs SB Audigy LS - (5.1)
Creative Labs SB Extigy
Creative Labs SB Live 24-bit
Creative Labs SB Live
Creative Labs SB Live PLATINUM
Creative Labs SB Live Value
Creative Labs SB Live X-GAMER
Creative Labs SB Live X-GAMER 5.1

it wasn't even remotely a bash on Creative, but more seeing BF2/EAGames/DICE for what it was marketed as.

anyone can see that BF2 was marketed to sell hardware.. the fact that they are in bed with both Nvidia and Creative is clearly shown by the fact that Nvidia and Creative are using BF2 to push new hardware off the shelves and forcing those that have very capable hardware to upgrade.. Nvidia more than creative..

The hardware capabilities have really nothing to do with it, even in software mode i get great discrete 5.1 channels out of BF2 with my mystique. I'm not even entirely sure what the audio processing of BF2 is like and what that hardware renderer even does (does anyone have a link to a good explination of it, instead of just wild guesses?)..

H-street said:
lol that is just taking my quote a little out of context..

so i'll reiterate
From the BF2 readme.txt

now look down further

it wasn't even remotely a bash on Creative, but more seeing BF2/EAGames/DICE for what it was marketed as.

anyone can see that BF2 was marketed to sell hardware.. the fact that they are in bed with both Nvidia and Creative is clearly shown by the fact that Nvidia and Creative are using BF2 to push new hardware off the shelves and forcing those that have very capable hardware to upgrade.. Nvidia more than creative..

The hardware capabilities have really nothing to do with it, even in software mode i get great discrete 5.1 channels out of BF2 with my mystique. I'm not even entirely sure what the audio processing of BF2 is like and what that hardware renderer even does (does anyone have a link to a good explination of it, instead of just wild guesses?)..

I think there's bashing going on, so many are so use to it that half truths and misinformation are accepted as fact. Fact is, 3rd party Software keeps the audigy from doing its thing. I do mean ALL 3rd Party stuff, alternate drivers and yes even WinAMP, I have the newest version. :(

Hardware Processing has everything to do with it. EAX 3 and 4 needs something like an Hardware MLP Chip to be processed correctly. Sorry, I have little faith in *"Audio Chipset C-Media CMI 8768+". I don't think so Dewd, that's not bashing. The other cards use software and as of yet, there's no software EAX 3 and 4 render method. SO the other cards that heavily depend of software can only emulate EAX 1 and 2. Hell, some of them can't even do that right.

Sure they and nVidia is in bed with Creative, hell, ad AMD and Intel as well. Look at how EPIC Games sucks on AMD's booty? EA sports bragged about using AMD's computers but look at all of their Intel ads? Most of the games on that list do also fall back on DX 8, 8.x and 9's direct sounds. Miles and Zoom are cool and they track sound direction really well but have less support. What they can't do is obstruct, occlude, echo, create distance and elevation all at the same time. UT2K3/4 supports everything under the sun it can show the importance of "Ear Candy". HDA-M does great on HL2 because any receiver can process the sound DVD LIKE SOURCE and process them well after the card hands it the RAW data. But this is NOT done in real time has delay like HDA-M's its own Analog out=P

Creative Cards that support hardware audio processing and therefore lower latency.

Audigy 2 Retail $49
Audigy 2 Platinum $149 been as lowe as $120 after rebate
Audigy 2 Platinum Pro $169 one place had a sale for $139
Audigy 2 1394 OEM $45
Audigy 2 Value not the same as the OEM and is Retail & Bulk. $52
Audigy 2 ZS OEM $59 (the best deal)
Audigy 2 ZS Retail $72
Audigy 2 ZS Value$59
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum .int$149
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro .ext $179
Audigy 4 $247

Prices are always in flux, but you get the idea.

Now lets look at Price?

I'll just use Newegg, MWave and others have similar prices. HDA-M Best deal in the house for Gamers might be the Audigy 2 ZS OEM for $59 much cheaper than the any card close to its class. As I said, HDA-M might have been more to my liking if it were $69, not at its current price. Sorry but there's no way in hell it's worth $100 IMHO.

Look at the HDA-M's features real close!

Hardware Decode Dolby Digital EX, DTS-EX, same as Creative's Audigy 2 and 2ZS they can sample up to 192KHz while HDA-M is limited to 96KHz. Dolbe Digital LIve is the HDA-M best feature and not bashing, when I point out it needs a DDL source just like a Gas engine needs Gas, not water.

Supports Dolby Digital Live Real-Time Contents Encoder / The World First Dolby Digital Live Certificated PCI Audio Board
Supports the latest DTS-ES, DD-EX sound (6.1/7.1) playback (also including Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 playback) with Software Decoding Application like as PowerDVD, WinDVD
Supports 44.1 kHz / 48kHz / 96kHz S/PDIF Output through both Coaxial RCA and Optical Toslink
Onboard COAXIAL RCA output connector, OPTICAL Toslink trasmitter for high quality Digital Output
Supports 44.1kHz / 48kHz / 96kHz S/PDIF Input with HDA X-10 Digital Input extension board (Optional)[Digital I/O (SPDIF-IN #2)]

Power DVD 6 Delux 6ch edition can run on my old P3 550 and Hercules 5.1, doesn't need HDA or Audigy 2 ZS. It can also playback DVD Audio as well on this old system.

Sorry for the long post!

Donnie27

Creative's Audigy 2 and 2ZS they can sample up to 192KHz
Yeah in stereo, for surround sound it is 96Khz.

when I point out it needs a DDL source just like a Gas engine needs Gas, not water
Not true, DDL can encode all pc audio (including 2.0 sources like mp3's) into DD 5.1 on the fly.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/dolby_live.html

www.dobly.com said:
Systems using Dolby Digital Live technology can provide Dolby Digital (5.1-channel surround sound) during gameplay, immersing players in high-quality surround sound that puts them at the center of the action. Gamers hear every window shatter, feel every explosion, and experience every wipeout.
HDA-M does great on HL2 because any receiver can process the sound DVD LIKE SOURCE and process them well after the card hands it the RAW data
Wrong again, HL2 is not encoded with ac3 (dolby digital) or DTS instead it uses the Miles Sound Engine and therefore can not just be "passed through" to the reciever, it is actually processed by the HDA.

For the record, I own an audigy 2 ZS and the EAX 1/2/3/4 all suck (even on doom3 and bf2) and does not even compare to my friend's soundstorm. That is why I am getting an HDA :D (should be here thursday).

Moofasa~ said:

Not true, DDL can encode all pc audio (including 2.0 sources like mp3's) into DD 5.1 on the fly.

Wrong again, HL2 is not encoded with ac3 (dolby digital) or DTS instead it uses the Miles Sound Engine and therefore can not just be "passed through" to the reciever, it is actually processed by the HDA.

Pleae see what I said about not only Miles but Zoom as well. Notice I said DVD Like, not DVD, sheesh. UT2K3/4 though

Same 96KHz as HDA-M or did you miss that?

I know you can't read the whole thread, but that point was made 100's of post ago.

What they're calling encoding here is just what the hell Creative had me fooled on, namely NEO-6/Pro Logic II surround sound. Saying it can take a MP3 and CD-Audio turn it into Surround Sound is one thing and that's true. Trying to make that mean Discrete DVD Audio 5.1 is absolute BS=! Sure it can do Pro Logic like "Filtered surround", there's no damned way for it separate 2ch front to back and know where the hell those sounds should come from=P Again, you need a 5.1 source or you get something similar to Pro Logic 1, 2 or NEO-6, NOT Discrete true positional 5.1 for games or the sound effects that make up most game sound tracks. Trying to say otherwise is pure foolishness.

Buy 10 HDA-Ms and that FACT still will not change. That's like saying it will create true 5.1 an standard CD-Audio disk, it ain't goin' to happen. It can Expand, Pan, Delay and Matrix, nothing more, nothing less=P I've owned all the Audigys but the Aduigy4 and heard enough of the HDA-M to disagree with ya but to each his or her own.

Donnie27

Moofasa~ said:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/dolby_live.html

For the record, I own an audigy 2 ZS and the EAX 1/2/3/4 all suck (even on doom3 and bf2) and does not even compare to my friend's soundstorm. That is why I am getting an HDA :D (should be here thursday).

Oh, and I had to add, there is a DOOM3 Patch

Oh and I almost forgot,

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/mlp_lossless.html

MLP Lossless™, licensed by Dolby Laboratories, is the core technology of Advanced Resolution® multichannel and stereo DVD-Audio. MLP Lossless enables producers to encode up to six channels of 96 kHz/24 bit audio, or two channels of 192 kHz/24 bit audio onto a DVD-Audio disc, resulting in playback that is bit for bit identical to the studio master. Nothing is lost during the encoding and decoding process.

This is what EAX 3 & 4 needs to perform their tricks!

Donnie27

Back