HDA Digital Mystique and what 5.1 digital speakers?

Moofasa~

[H]ard|Gawd
Well first I guess I am an "audio newbie" and right now I have Audigy 2 ZS and the Logitech 640's (yes laugh at the poor college student, I know they suck). Since I have some excess cash this summer I am going to purchase the HDA Digital Mystique, and I will have an additional $700+ (probably more) to blow on speakers. Now I was thinking of getting the Logitech Z-5500 Digital speakers, but I know you can get like regular speakers and an external decoder for this card. My problem is I really have no idea if the money I have is enough for regular speakers and a decoder, or if it is enough, what home theater system I should buy. Would it be better for a newbie like me just to get the Logitech Z-5500 Digital or should I invest in a home theater system (assuming I have enough cash for it)? I guess from reading the faq I should inform you guys I plan to listen to a lot of music, play games, and watch dvds occasionlly. If there are any other questions that I forgot to answer, please just let me know. Thanks in advance, sorry if this seems really newbish.

Moofasa~ said:
Would it be better for a newbie like me just to get the Logitech Z-5500 Digital or should I invest in a home theater system (assuming I have enough cash for it)?

The latter. With a budget of ~$700, I think it highly unwise to get the Logitechs.

What might you forsee as the future for this gear? $700 is a fair bit of money, so you should invest it with consideration towards upgrades if you see that in the future. Do you want a surround rig all at once, or would you be willing to sink your $800 (sans HDA Mystique) into a 2 channel rig. With a majority of your playback material being (presumably stereo) music, the stereo option deserves consideration, as it would give much better sound quality bang/buck.

Please provide other information as well. Read the FAQ for more guidance on the information that will help others provide you proper assistance. Specifically, what other components have you (or friends/relations) got laying around, and what is your room size?

GodsMadClown said:
The latter. With a budget of ~$700, I think it highly unwise to get the Logitechs.

What might you forsee as the future for this gear? $700 is a fair bit of money, so you should invest it with consideration towards upgrades if you see that in the future. Do you want a surround rig all at once, or would you be willing to sink your $800 (sans HDA Mystique) into a 2 channel rig. With a majority of your playback material being (presumably stereo) music, the stereo option deserves consideration, as it would give much better sound quality bang/buck.

Please provide other information as well. Read the FAQ for more guidance on the information that will help others provide you proper assistance. Specifically, what other components have you (or friends/relations) got laying around, and what is your room size?
I would rather invest in a 5.1 system at this time because while I do listen to a lot of music, I still play my fps games quite a bit (and having 5.1 is very helpful in this area). I also like to watch dvds in 5.1 too (even though I only watch a few dvds). Therefore, I would still like to get a surround rig all at once. In addition, my friends/other people I know are not too big in the whole "audio scene", and I do not believe they have any components I could use. I too do not have any components relating to a home theater system, so I believe I am going to have to purchase everything (speakers, subwoofer, external decoding, cables, and I believe that is it right?). I would also like this equipment to last me a few years (around three years), I do not want to update my audio system every single year. My room is fairly small and enclosed; I do not know exact measurements, although I suppose I can get them for you if needed. Sorry I did not answer the all the questions the first time, as I said I am new to this area. Once again, if I missed any other key questions, tell me so I can address them. This is sort of a big investment for me and I want to make sure I get the right stuff. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

Though i've never listened to them myself, i've seen Rocket Tykes recommended dozens of times for a budget 5.1 system (72,000 hits on google to boot). Check their B-stock since they occasionally pop up there as well.

$400-$500 may not seem like "budget" to many, but in the audio world it's just scratching the surface. I'd be willing to bet that the Tykes will destroy any home-theatre-in-a-box bundle. Can anybody verify or refute the claims made above?

I would have purchased them myself if i hadn't already scored a nice Denon-based setup last year ;)

If relying on a HDA Mystique, the AV123 will sell you a nice Kenwood Slimline class-d amp reciever for $$ with the Tykes. I'm sure that the Kenwood would provide ample power for a nearfield computer sound rig. It comes without multichannel digital inputs, so a DD or DTS source is needed for discrete surround.

I'm vaguely curious, however about a comparison between the Tykes and the AR HC6 package. It's cheaper, and I've heard good things about it too. Of course, I've never actially heard iether of them, so it's really all supposition.

A pair of bookshelf-type speakers combined with powered 8" subwoofer stands and a CD player for ~$600. Together with a refurbed Onkyo two-channel amp, it would make a very interesting solution, but only if you had the capability of placing your desk about 2-3 feet from the speakers.

http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9051

For this deal we are going to package our XCD-88 CD Player/Transport together with a set of our ELT PBS / LRS at $597 dollars complete… That gives you the XCD-88 ($399 dollars list price) at $299 and each PBS / LRS at $149 dollars each or $298 for the set… So…

$149 X 2 (for the pair of PBS’s and LRS’s) this is $298 dollars

AND…

$299 for the XCD-88 (our Family Price)

Total Price… $597 (Essentially this is like getting the XCD-88 for free… and then some, when you consider the regular price for the PBS / LRS package)

GodsMadClown said:
A pair of bookshelf-type speakers combined with powered 8" subwoofer stands and a CD player for ~$600. Together with a refurbed Onkyo two-channel amp, it would make a very interesting solution, but only if you had the capability of placing your desk about 2-3 feet from the speakers.

http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9051
Hmm I could do something like this, I'll read more about it this weeked. But this is only the speakers and subwoofer correct?

A pair of the ELT LRS bookshelf speakers.

A pair of stands with integrated subwoofers that integrate with the bookshelves

A CD Player with an (reputedly) excellent analog output.

Total Price… $597

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=69.1
One last adder… Please be sure to talk to your Sales Rep if you’d like to add an A-60 MKII or A-120 MKII to this deal… We’ll have some super pricing at the ready should you decide to finish your package out with an award-winning ONIX Integrated Amp…

So… The Best $149 dollar speaker deal ever… Easily, this is the best deal we’ve ever offered… Limited to 30 sets and then the price goes back to the current $599 dollar package..

Depending on the pricing for the Integrated amp, you could have a nice little two-channel rig on your hands for not much more than $700.

Know anyone with an Audigy 1? A recent lawsuit settlement entitles them to %25 off stuff at Creative.com. Get an Emu 0404 for $75 shipped to round out your two-channel rig.

Leave the Audigy 2 in the machine and (for gaming) hook up your ELT/PBS pair to the front channel and relegate your Logitech 640's to the rear channels. This rigged 4.1 thing should give you positional information, although it will sound a bit weird when front/back panning happens, like when rockets zoom past you.

For music, use the EMU 0404, hooked only to the ELT/PBS pair. It'll serve you very well down the road.

p.s. if you can't get an Emu 0404, I'm sure that you can pick up a Chaintech AV-710 for not much money. It's a very decent 2-channel source.

Why not just get an Onkyo HTIB. You can pull a 770 for about $300 if you find the right deal. It may not be the absolute best you can get but its a great starting point and all you'll need then will be cables and speaker wire.

Back