HD555 label on a Sennheiser HD595

vaca232

Weaksauce
My brother has a set of Sennhiser HD-595s. I also have an older set, the old 120 ohm version. So I was bored the other day, and opened both up to see if there were any visible differences between the two.

I immediately noticed on my brothers set, a big "50 ohm" sticker on the back of the driver, but I also noticed on the front of the actual sound driver, there's a label saying "HD555"

Mine doesn't have any sort of label. Is this normal, or did my brother somehow manage to get a hold of some sort of bastardized set? Can anyone with a set of HD595's check and see if you've got a similar label?

That's kinda alarming. How do they sound? I know the 595 isn't really much of a step up over the 555 - so it may be a bit hard to tell. The newer 50 ohm versions are said to sound very slightly grainier in the midrange compared to the older 120 ohm ones if that helps. Aside from that, they should sound the same.

Well, right now the best quality audio source available to compare them with is the Audigy 2 ZS Notebook on my laptop. Switching between the two, my set definitely sounds a bit more mellow. My brothers sound a tad more 'up front' which I'm guessing might be because they're also probably louder from being easier to drive since they're only 50 ohm. The high treble on my brothers sounds a bit harsher also.

I may have to get in touch with Sennheiser and see if the HD555 label is normal...

If I recall correctly, same thing happened with Sennheiser's 580 being marked as 650. Now, that is the flagship for Senn.....

Ever since that thread on headfi, I've been leary of buying Sennheiser.

Back