HD555 and iPod....

Viperman5000

Weaksauce
Well, from reading the title you can probably tell what I want to use these headphones for/with. I would consider myself pretty picky when it comes to sound. I also have an X-Fi XtremeMusic (but that's beside the point). My main question is I am pretty sure I will need an amp, correct? I also want it to be portable because I do a lot of traveling. And I realize I will have to dish out at least $100 for a good amp and have the headphones sound somewhat good. Will this amp fulfill my needs or is there something else I should look at or what?: Amp.
Any help is appreciated.

I've had a pair of HD555's for a week now and absolutely love them, but I'm not sure if this is the best route for you. If by traveling you mean by plane or another mode of transportation around other people, it's important to consider that the HD555's are open-air, which means it lets sound leak out. Everyone around you will be able to hear what you're listening to. Plus, you'll be able to easily hear things around you. They might not be the most convenient thing to drag around with you everywhere you go, either. I'd suggest getting a decent pair of in-ear (canal) phones for noise isolation so people can't hear your music and you won't hear much from the outside world and the conveniently small and portable size.

i used to use my ipod with my hd555 and i found that the headphone was powered find without a need for an amp. I usually just used that on long road trips or when im on the airplane. I remember a couple weeks ago when i was flying on a plane and saw a chick opening up a brand new bose qc3 and i thought to myself hahaha she just got raped paying 200 bucks for that stupid headphone just for a short 2 hour flight and proceeded using my regular hd555.

I'm not sure about being raped, but she sure was ignorant thinking bose is the best audio solutions ever.

I'm not sure about being raped, but she sure was ignorant thinking bose is the best audio solutions ever.

After I got my HD555's last week and showed them to my friend, he said "you paid $100 for that? Why didn't you get a good set of Bose?" Ignorance pisses me off. He said that without even listening to them, as if because headphones are smaller than speakers they're not worth $100... which is cheap for a quality set of headphones. This comes from the mouth of a person that spends huge amounts of money on his car audio...

You don't need an amp with HD555s. My ipod will drive my pair to unlistenable levels. I wouldn't recommend them for portability though, the cord is very long and they let in all external sounds.

Forget the amp and use that money to buy the HD595s. I had the HD555s and used them straight from my X-Fi and also with a Go-Vibe V5. In both cases, I found them boring. Now I couldnt be happier with my HD580, but that definately requires an amp so I recommend the HD595s ampless to you.

No amp necessary as I was hardpressed to hear the difference between unamped and amped 555.

But be careful, it's open.... so it will bother everyone around. I sure as hell dont want to be sitting next to you if we're on a bus or train or plane together.

Alright, so I guess the general consensus is the HD595.

And I don't care if they bother anyone around me. I paid for 'em, I'm gonna use 'em. :D

yep agree with hd595/xtrememusic and AMP sounds great.

please to skip out on the money when it comes to AUDIO !!!

Back