HD size

KunoKugel

n00b
Hallo,

I have an old EPIA 800, is there any limit to the HD size or is it no problem to use a 200 GByte HD on it?

I couldn´t find any information in the manual about it. :(

Thanks!

Bye,

Kuno

I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with it. I had a Via 800 which I was able to use a 320g hd with. The main questions isn't the processor its the motherboard. If you can, update the bios to the latest revision.

Worst case scenario you could still use the 200g hd but you'd only be able to access 137g of it.

dekard said:
Worst case scenario you could still use the 200g hd but you'd only be able to access 137g of it.

Yup, and even then, getting a PCI IDE raid card would fix that... assuming you're not using up the one PCI slot (or have an old mobo that doesn't have one). Might be tricky to find a low profile one though.

dekard said:
I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with it. I had a Via 800 which I was able to use a 320g hd with. The main questions isn't the processor its the motherboard. If you can, update the bios to the latest revision.
Of course it is not the processor. You really had an Epia 800? In this thread http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.aspx?catid=32&threadid=54189&highlight_key=y&keyword1=800 they come to the conclusion, that it doesn´t work even with the last bios.

dekard said:
Sure, but I would like to use it as a fileserver, so I need the whole capacity.

A PCI- controller is no option because the slot is already in use.

You can search for my thread here 'via 800 unsuitable for file server'. I found the Epia platform way to light duty for my needs and replaced it with a dual processor pentium III 533 box which is doing a great job.

Back