hd-dvd software for OSX?

Blown 89

2[H]4U
I need to hook up my xbox's HD-DVD player to OSX but don't have software to run it. Suggestions on what software I need?

Why waste your time trying to get a format to work that will disappear in the next year?

VLC will play HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray movies. I'm not exactly sure if it works on the Mac, because I don't have an HD disc drive, but you might try surfing around VLC's forums for some answers.

VLC will play HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray movies. I'm not exactly sure if it works on the Mac, because I don't have an HD disc drive, but you might try surfing around VLC's forums for some answers.

It will probably only play movies that were ripped previously.

it will play movies that have had the content protection algorithms removed... which, in accordance with the DMCA, is 100% illegal.

You could always try booting into Vista and using the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive. I remember stories of people sorta getting that to work. Not sure what all progress has been made there. Not exactly "for OS X" but hey...

Why waste your time trying to get a format to work that will disappear in the next year?

As dumb as the entertainment industry is, I don't think even they are dumb enough to burn customers so fast. Even if they were, they would have a hard time convincing HD's backers to pull out while they are still semi-successful. If one wins, it will not be within a year.

You could always try booting into Vista and using the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive. I remember stories of people sorta getting that to work. Not sure what all progress has been made there. Not exactly "for OS X" but hey...
It's working successfully on my XP machine at home, that's not the problem.....I'm trying to get it to run at work on our G5's with Cinema displays so my options are limited. We have periodic slow season where we sit for 8 hours a day with nothing but training to do. The company realizes that we can't do that all day every day so they allow us to watch movies and whatnot. We won't have an ounce of work for 6 more weeks so I was hoping to make use of these nice displays for everyone here. DVD will work for now I guess. Hopefully Apple comes up with a solution soon.

It's working successfully on my XP machine at home, that's not the problem.....I'm trying to get it to run at work on our G5's with Cinema displays so my options are limited. We have periodic slow season where we sit for 8 hours a day with nothing but training to do. The company realizes that we can't do that all day every day so they allow us to watch movies and whatnot. We won't have an ounce of work for 6 more weeks so I was hoping to make use of these nice displays for everyone here. DVD will work for now I guess. Hopefully Apple comes up with a solution soon.

they dont have a solution. and if they come up with one, i doubt your g5's will be supported

Maybe find someone who brings a Windows laptop into work or is willing to donate a Windows box to the cause and you can do it that way, with the cinema displays hooked to the PC (assuming they're DVI, not ADC)

Maybe find someone who brings a Windows laptop into work or is willing to donate a Windows box to the cause and you can do it that way, with the cinema displays hooked to the PC (assuming they're DVI, not ADC)
For some reason we can't get them ot work with anything but the mac's they're hooked up to. I even tried a 360 with the hd drive and an hdmi -> DVI cable to no avail.

Back