HD-DVD ripping recommendations (size, format etc...)

alf717

Gawd
What would be recommend as the best settings to rip an HD-DVD to network storage? Using a combination of AnyDVD, HdBrStreamExtractor and mkvtoolnix I was able to rip my first HD-DVD. The end result was a large .MKV file (21.8 GB) which works well with VLC on Windows but not so well with VLC on Ubuntu 10.04 apparently VLC on Ubuntu throws out a cannot play VC1 error. So I'm wondering what would be recommend to rip these movies so they play nice with both Windows and Ubuntu? The size of the file isn't horrible but if I could reduced them what would be the best route to take?

AnyDVDHD > rip disc to folders on HDD > Feed the Feature1.EVO file into RipBot264, set container output to .MKV, and hit go. That's what I do. File sizes range from 3-9GB at full 1080P w/5.1 surround sound @ 640kbps.

AnyDVDHD > rip disc to folders on HDD > Feed the Feature1.EVO file into RipBot264, set container output to .MKV, and hit go. That's what I do. File sizes range from 3-9GB at full 1080P w/5.1 surround sound @ 640kbps.

Wow now thats a file size I could go for. What if the movie features two Feature.EVO files? Does AnyDVDHD or ripbot megre the files together? I'm ripping an HD-DVD to disk right now.

Edit:

N/M I'm sure mkvtoolnix can merge the files together. Silly me.

Feed Feature1.EVO into RipBot264 and it will automatically append Feature1.EVO with all of the main feature required FeatureX.EVO files that it needs for the main movie.

Everything seems to be running real smooth. Thanks for the tip with RipBot264. I'm guessing it is not unusual for this process to take 12+ hours? I'm taking a gamble with this but I'm running another movie through Ubuntu using Oracle VM with XP. Hoping it all goes well since I don't want my main PC bogged down while this converts the video.

This process maybe a little complex, but it will be fast (close to real-time) and does not need powerful CPU, All it need is Nvidia Graphic card 9500 or higher

- Ripped BD or HD/DVD
- Use freeware Media Coder feature CUDA function to compress video
This will use GPU to compress instead of CPU, so you can use the computer while it convert the video
- then remux it back to M2TS or EVO via tsMuxeR

I refer to use TS, M2TS container if the audio is DTS-HD or True-HD.
I have try to use MKV with DTS-HD or True_HD audio but not quite happy with it, becasue when play back my rec'd never show DTS-HD or True-HD

BTW the system that I used to convert BD/HDDVD to smaller size is:
Core 2 Duo 2.2GB 2GB RAM, WinXP Video card 9500GT it took me 2:30 to compress and 10 min to remux

Let me know you guy need more detail

DATOptic.Support

This process maybe a little complex, but it will be fast (close to real-time) and does not need powerful CPU, All it need is Nvidia Graphic card 9500 or higher

- Ripped BD or HD/DVD
- Use freeware Media Coder feature CUDA function to compress video
This will use GPU to compress instead of CPU, so you can use the computer while it convert the video
- then remux it back to M2TS or EVO via tsMuxeR

I refer to use TS, M2TS container if the audio is DTS-HD or True-HD.
I have try to use MKV with DTS-HD or True_HD audio but not quite happy with it, becasue when play back my rec'd never show DTS-HD or True-HD

BTW the system that I used to convert BD/HDDVD to smaller size is:
Core 2 Duo 2.2GB 2GB RAM, WinXP Video card 9500GT it took me 2:30 to compress and 10 min to remux

Let me know you guy need more detail

DATOptic.Support

What about using eac3to to convert the TrueHD or DTS-MA audio into FLAC files? Then you can use them in a MKV. That's what I'm looking at doing for both my HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs.

There is a good post on AVS about doing just this.

I dont think there is 5.1 FLAC decoder out there, correct me if i'm wrong

I have not using eac3to for years now... With tsMuxeR you can convert DTS-HD to DTS or True-HD to DD (5.1) too, Check it out

Never really thought about it, because why would anyone convert DTS-MA or TrueHD into 5.1 FLAC if they couldn't play it? I'd guess that Media Player Classic and VLC can probably do it.

The other option, you could probably just output to straight LPCM instead of saving a little space with FLAC.

Why would you want to convert TrueHD or Master Audio to straight Dolby Digital? BDs usually have a Dolby Digital track already, and/or a DTS track which will sound better than Dolby Digital. People want to hold on to their TrueHD and Master Audio tracks because they offer a level of sound far above what Dolby Digital or even DTS can do.

Saving a little space? On average, the birate reduction is 66% when using FLAC as opposed to 5.1 channel, 24-bit, 48KHz LPCM for your average 2 hour long movie, so that's a pretty hefty savings.

What's the bitrate on lossless multi-channel? 8Mbps? I realize DTS-MA supports something like 24Mbps, but I really don't think they're using bitrates that high for the majority of movies. I haven't checked, but I'd guess about 2-3Mbps for every two channels or so. Probably a pretty good guess when Red Book is 1.4Mbps for two chennels of 16-bit/44KHz audio. You're saving only a little hard drive space on a complete movie when you start looking at how big a 20-40Mbps video file is.

I'm not one that would cut the bitrate of 1080p video down to 6-8Mbps like a lot of people do when they rip BDs. That defeats the whole purpose of buying them in the first place if you ask me.

I'm not one that would cut the bitrate of 1080p video down to 6-8Mbps like a lot of people do when they rip BDs. That defeats the whole purpose of buying them in the first place if you ask me.

If your eyes and your ears cannot distinguish any difference at all in the apparent quality of the resulting encoding(s), well... there you go. And when it's done right, meaning "ripping" a full size (already lossy) piece of media into a form that's up to about 10x smaller in size and that apparent quality remains, it's a win-win for HTPC folk.

Back