HD DVD pc ?

kinson

Gawd
Just wondering if there is an HD DVD Drive for pc's out yet... internal or external, much like the 360's... or if there is any news of one being released if there is not one...

I knew it used usb, just wasnt sure if it would work on pc... Thank you very much... Now I know I'll get one :)

Yup, bought one a few days ago @ CC. $40 coupon ;)

Can't wait to get all the pieces up and running.

If you want it to run correctly you will need a few things...

HDCP Video card and monitor. The Software for it is not "really" full available.

You will need PowerDVD 6.5 - Can't buy it...

A retail version should be coming out in 2weeks... or so they say.

So, lets say I dont have a htpc, but will have a gaming pc with 8800 and well, other gaming hardware...

all I would need is the powerdvd 6.0 right ? and well of course the basic cables to go along... I'd be pretty set as far as the LCD goes, correct ??

as far as Sound goes, any really good audio cards you'd suggest ?? for a full blown 5.1 system or possible upgrade to 7.1... ?? and, a decent video card, hdcp ready for a really good price... ?? Not sure which pc I'll use to run it yet...

PowerDVD is not the only program it works with, there is at least one other i have read of, Nero 7, but maybe only in MCE2005 and maybe a Japanese version of WinDVD 8.......

it's all so new, wont be long before its supported all over

6.0 WILL NOT work.

You need 6.5 and only 6.5 on PDVD.

Theres a Japanase Windvd 8.0 but you're best of with PDVD 6.5 = not sold (you figure out how to get if you really want it). A retail version of PDVD is supposed to come out this month. We'll see. The 8800 support HDCP but u need an HDCP capable monitor/TV.

And you are correct about the NERO but I don't remember well...

I guess for games ppl reco X-FI. I tried one and thought it sounded mediocre at best. I would not waste my $ on creative. Can't really suggest a souncard becasue I use Optical outputs plugged into my receiver.

Thats what I'm talking about... I use integrated audio for gaming as I use a headset and mic... For receiver, I want to have great audio from my pc to my home surround...

What do you mean a monitor that supports hdcp ?? Lil info on that please... I have a monitor that supports native 1080p, and so on, 37 inch yadda yadda... I'm a little confused on the whole hdcp, read a little this morning before class but didnt really obtain much through what I read...

Oh, and good, I use Nero 7 for dvd watching anyways...

and my bad, on that other post I meant 6.5 for PDVD... I used to have like 3.0 or whatever came with my mobo, but never really used it... Which do you you prefer in the end for viewing HD, or any dvd for that matter... ??

MC FLMJIG said:
HDCP Video card and monitor. The Software for it is not "really" full available.

Can't you just use analogue VGA, because the copy protection flags haven't been enabled yet?

On a side note, does the X360 even have HDCP capability?

YOU NEED

HDCP ready vid card = http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1071342
HDCP ready monitor.
That is if you want to see full HD quality.

If you don't have HDCP hardware you can use the HD drive but it will not be shown in all it's glory. You will have a lower resolution.

360 should be okay to see the content. Just a download patch is necessary.

Must be PDVD 6.5 and that's it so far. This month we should have a retail version (as said by PDVD).

MC FLMJIG said:
YOU NEED

HDCP ready vid card = http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1071342
HDCP ready monitor.
That is if you want to see full HD quality.

If you don't have HDCP hardware you can use the HD drive but it will not be shown in all it's glory. You will have a lower resolution.

360 should be okay to see the content. Just a download patch is necessary.

Must be PDVD 6.5 and that's it so far. This month we should have a retail version (as said by PDVD).

Thanks!

ok so from what all I'm reading is... Most of the Newer monitors/lcd tv's/plasmas are HDCP compliant, that it all deals with HDMI or DVI ??

I'm still confused as hell... Cause I just bought this LCD Monitor for HD, and my friend is getting a plasma for his HD, and if we are going to have problems with the HD-DVD's what the hell is the point ?

Lil help please ?

HD DVD and Bluray will finally take advantage of the new tv's out there. You thought watching a DVD through component was nice... wait till u see BR and HDD...

However you HAVE to HAVE HDCP ready software and hardware on PC's of course.

On reg hardware like a reg HD-dvd player or blu ray player I'm not 100% sure but I would believe the monitor needs to be HDCP comliant... If it is a NEW model it probably is... just do a bit of legwork ;)

Thats what I'm doing... I've read every link, that even hints to saying anything about hdcp, I'm still lost...

I'm not worried about the hardware, and software, as that will not be the problem, (as long as the latest cards 7800+ are all hdcp ready... and then what Vista ?)I just want to know 100% that my monitor, and my friends monitor is going to work with this setup...

Even with xbox 360 and ps3, you will stilll need a hdcp compliant Monitor/tv right ?

My monitor/lcd tv specifications just say HDMI-HDCP and DVI-HDCP yadda yadda when referring to the ports... I'm assuming that means that my tv is hdcp compliant, however on one of the sites I was reading, it was saying something about HDMI and DVI connections black screening and so on... It wasnt a real clear review or anything, but I'm assuming that it was speaking of Non-hdcp compliant monitors correct ??

Sorry edited my last reply before I saw you post... I have the LVM-37w3 westinghouse, I'll have to get the model numbers and stuff for the plasma my friend is getting... Sorry for being a hassle, I just want to make sure everything is future proof or ready before I go and spend any money...

So most of the 7900+ cards (Listed of course) and a few others are going to be hdcp compliant, all 8800's minus the evga ?? I am planning on upgraded to an 8800 so I shouldnt worry myself too much in that department...

Oh, and another question, whats the difference between the dvi cables... dvi-d dvi-i and whatever else there may be ?

Again thanks for all your help..

So I have to run the HDMI? or will the DVI on my tv work hdcp ? I read all this stuff, but a lot of it is just gibberish right now as I really am not sure what it is I'm looking for...

I have a million questions still, and am trying my hardest to find all the answers... So all in all, all I need is exactly what you stated in an earlier post (Now that I have an idea of whats going on with all this hdcp bs)...

HDCP card, monitor, and for software PDvd 6.5...

Right ?

PDVD 6.5 for now. Can't buy because it comes bundled with the expensive drives... but u figure it out....

They should have a retail version soon... this month. I go seepy now... it's sooo late....
Bumps appreciated on WTB ;) thanks ttyt!

Yes, you have been very helpful ;)... most help I've had in the past couple months as I have not been around since about last fall... busy year ;)... Again thank you...

got the 7.0 trial version... it doesnt say anything from what I can see about HDDVD... Do you have to have the full version ??

Does VLC not do HD DVD's??

kinson said:
got the 7.0 trial version... it doesnt say anything from what I can see about HDDVD... Do you have to have the full version ??

Does VLC not do HD DVD's??

I doubt VLC has the decryption key, yet. Wait a year or two, someone will crack/leak it.

hrmmm... Ok I was just wondering... I like Powerdvd, I used it a long time ago... Got it with my Mobo... Loved it till the nero 7 showtime came out... Started using it, but now, pdvd is a lot like the showtime but seems to be running a lot smoother... I dunno I'll have to get the full version and see :)

pdvd 7 will not work... :)... Fun stuff...

Does PowerDVD 7 support Blue-ray Disc and HD DVD playback?

No. PowerDVD 7.0 doesn't support Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD playback? The version that support Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD is PowerDVD 6.5 (BD) and PowerDVD 6.6 (HD DVD). However, version 5.5 and 5.6 are only bundled with some BD and HD DVD drives and not for sale in the market.

CyberLink will release a new PowerDVD version which can fully support BD and HD DVD playback on popular BD/HD DVD drives and XBOX 360 HDDVD external drive. This version can be ordered online directly before Christmas 2006

Wonder if 6.5 is what they're talking about just before Christmas...

NO 6.5 is OEM. 7 WIill NOT work.

Been waiting for new PDVD taking 4 ever.

My question is if we can mod this to go internal. That would be cool.

I have no idea how to do it!!!

I've seen small shots of the inside but what would be necessary and if it could actually be done.

If it can I'll risk opening it. If it cannot why bother.

I don't have an Xbox 360 so I'm not real sure about any of its features when using the HD-DVD... When using the 360 you have only component, and vga outs you can buy ? or are there DVI and HDMI outs as well ?? Does it only put out 720p...

And modding with pc it will support 1080p right ?? Of course using DVI...

well I got an 8800gtx and the HD-DVD drive but it appears that it is not going to work for me... Power dvd 6.5 keeps freezing and my pc keeps seeing the drive as an external CD drive, and keeps causing problems... Trying to figure out what I did wrong here but there is very little support on the net about it... anyone know whats going on ??

Back