HD 6950 2GB - $230 w/discount code after MIR

Impulse

[H]F Junkie
This is the lowest I've ever seen the 2GB version at, the code is right there on the Newegg product page btw... Only possible downside? It's a Powercolor, anyone have any experience with them?

I'm actually looking to get two of them... I was thinking I'd spring for the $270 XFX (w/MIR) as my second card, just to have a solid warranty on one at least, but there's a HIS at $245 after rebate that's also very tempting. Decisions, decisions...

The code is VGAPC6SA and it expires on the 22nd btw. These prices are kind of crazy, even the HIS card... They're cheaper than the GTX 560, heck, they overlap with some of the 6870 with custom coolers.

I'm not sure, all the 2GB 6950s on Newegg look like reference cards to me, so I'd guess so.

I've had several PowerColor cards. No problems with the cards themselves, and they would've let me RMA one of them by putting the factory cooler back on it (but I popped a RAM chip off when I tried, damn AC epoxy :D)

:eek: And the prices keep dropping. I wasn't expecting the 2GB reference cards to go so low so fast what with the high demands for flashable -> 6970 cards. Now I kinda regret my $269.99 HIS purchase. But the last two weeks have been good fun...;)

Weird/sad story. I have this phobia of setting up SLI/Crossfire. I ended up wasting about 1/2 an hour last night figuring out why CFX wasn't working when I reseated the lower card only to find that it wasn't locked all the way.

Video cards are harder to seat properly these days. They seem to be too big for the ATX design spec.

Video cards are harder to seat properly these days. They seem to be too big for the ATX design spec.

Exactly, in those rare instances I've had multi gpu going I always end up having to unplug everything and do some crazy voodoo magic puzzle to get the cards to fit in the case!

These cards are insane for the price. I just picked up a Sapphire model earlier this week for almost the same price, unlocked to 1536 shaders and overclocked well.

Exactly, in those rare instances I've had multi gpu going I always end up having to unplug everything and do some crazy voodoo magic puzzle to get the cards to fit in the case!

Same here, that is why I went with a single card this time around (last setup was dual 4870s).

I would so get this if we could get someone to confirm flashability to 6970. Do you have to use the same manufacturer's respective 6970 bios?

I have a powercolor 5770, non reference. ~60C (low 60s) under Furmark, with a cramped case, was quite under normal gaming. I also got the mail in rebate for it without any hassle, just sent it, and it came ~3 months later.

From what I've seen while video card shopping for the last little while is more GTX 560/570 and 6950 sale prices, I'm guessing there is pressure for them to go down now. For the 6950 when I started looking they were about ~$285, then I saw sales for 260-270, now of course this for $240. I've also seen the GTX 570 come down closer to $300, sometimes under. I got my GTX 560 for $210 with a games bundle.

Steal at that price. Unlock the shaders, up the voltage and have fun with 1ghz on the core.

I would so get this if we could get someone to confirm flashability to 6970. Do you have to use the same manufacturer's respective 6970 bios?

reference model all came from same source, they are all the same card with different sticker on them..

reference model all came from same source, they are all the same card with different sticker on them..

^^^^ What he said. If you look at the photo of the card. It has an AMD stamp along the socket. Guess who made it? It also has the BIOS switch on the opposite edge near the power connectors.

Newegg bastards. I just bought this thing last friday and received it two nights ago. Oh well payed more but, overall will be worth it.

The sexy way to do this is to NOT flash it as a 6970 but to keep it a 6950 with slightly bumped voltage and unlocked shaders; same net effect less chance of artifactings. This is a steal so you should jump on it asap.

Newegg bastards. I just bought this thing last friday and received it two nights ago. Oh well payed more but, overall will be worth it.

Call them bro, they'll probably credit you at least some of the difference... They're done it for me multiple times in similar situations.

I think I'm gonna jump on this + the next cheapest HIS... For $5-15 more I would've gone XFX but not for $25 more. If only I could get two Powercolors and cash in rebates for both, I'd save another $15.

Is the rebate only good for one per household? Can't seem to find that info on rebate form.

Two of these CF'd would be absolutely monstrous performance at 2560x1600. They seem to be the unlockable versions also so can get another 10% boost upon that.

I'm hoping they're good enough to run at 5760x1200 for a while. :p Though I won't be ordering my 3rd screen until I clear some space around to move my desk against a different wall (sans windows) so I can wall mount the displays... Cheaper than a new desk.

Not sure if it's only me but I had a previous coupon code in from a previous "price check"

MEMKBOUFEB11

Try this code for $20 off

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Must have been a bug with your cart I couldn't replicate it. Still grabbed one with $10 code its a great deal.

Oh well worth a shot.

I would definitely buy it but the tax kind of kills it for me.

Nuclear deal right there. hopefully i can pick up a second one used in a year for under $175.

Dammit, I was really trying to hold off buying a new card, but I can't resist the temptation to buy one of these and flash it to a 6970. So, in for one.

Dammit, I was really trying to hold off buying a new card, but I can't resist the temptation to buy one of these and flash it to a 6970. So, in for one.
You won't regret it. These things scream once flashed. GTX 580 performance for $230 :cool:.

I just flashed my HIS 2GB 6950 -> 6970 @ 900/1400 without a hitch...if I wasn't in a FT03 I'd opt for another card, I just don't think it could take the heat in there!

Last edited:
Back