HD 6950 2GB - $230 w/discount code after MIR

I am very tempted to get 2 but BF3 will not be out until fall and my pair of 460's are doing fine every game.

Yeah, a lot of people are recommending just unlocking the extra shaders but that has a pretty negligible impact (<5%). The overclock is what really kicks it up a notch, whether done by flashing straight to 6970 specs (riskier) or flashing one of the in between firmwares that only kick up core voltage but not RAM while also raising CCC OC limits, etc.

I ordered one of these yesterday with my newegg preferred account, and newegg came back to me saying it was denied :confused: lol. But I have yet to get a hold of CS because its Saturday.

Newegg's been pretty shitty lately, I registered a second account to buy stuff for work, so I don't mix them with my personal account. After placing my order Newegg banned my second account, my main account and my co-worker's account because we were all logged in from the same work IP address. Took them almost a week to unban those 3 account, customer service was slow as hell for any responses.

Damn you Hot Deals!

I was going to go GTX 580 - ordered one, but have a very bad feeling the guy selling it off the bay is a fraud... even if that turns out legit (doubtful), I don't forsee a problem off-loading this for $230.

Probably end up making this a 6970 and keeping it.

Out of curiosity, how many 2560x1600 screens could one of these cards run (not for gaming, just to connect to it)?

Newegg's been pretty shitty lately, I registered a second account to buy stuff for work, so I don't mix them with my personal account. After placing my order Newegg banned my second account, my main account and my co-worker's account because we were all logged in from the same work IP address. Took them almost a week to unban those 3 account, customer service was slow as hell for any responses.

Would you rather have them err on the safe side or have some scammer running up thousands on your credit card bill?

Out of curiosity, how many 2560x1600 screens could one of these cards run (not for gaming, just to connect to it)?

Right now you can do 4. 1x DVI-D, 1xHDMI, 2xDP but once Display Port replicator hubs are released you'll be able to run 6.

Ordered one...

My dual core AMD Opteron 165 rig is showing its age... time to upgrade.
Already got first piece, which was the psu. Now this is the second!

well i bit,

this card is about twice as fast as my 4870. Hopefully Powercolor is good about rebate, but I've never been denied for one before.

Would you rather have them err on the safe side or have some scammer running up thousands on your credit card bill?

A scammer that's ordering from the same IP address I've been ordering for the past 2 years? Besides, the main problem i had was how long it took them to unlock my account, not that they locked them.

Is this overkill for gaming on one screen at 1600x1200? Want to upgrade my old 8800 gts 512 meg for Rift. I typically don't like to spend too much more then $200 for a video card. Eventually will get a 1080p lcd.

Is this overkill for gaming on one screen at 1600x1200? Want to upgrade my old 8800 gts 512 meg for Rift. I typically don't like to spend too much more then $200 for a video card. Eventually will get a 1080p lcd.

At this price it's steal and will future proof you some. Get'em before they're gone!

I picked one up also, cant wait to check it out

Replaced my 4870 1GB.

Been working on a new build all I need now is a Motherboard.

I probably should have clarified, but flash and overclock one of these and you'll get GTX 580 performance for $230:

For reference: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4135/nvidias-geforce-gtx-560-ti-upsetting-the-250-market/7

You can't go wrong :cool:.

u sure about this.. from everything ive seen the gtx 580 runs cirlces around 6970, hell even the 570 does. maybe im wrong but someone correct me if i am. im pretty confident my older gtx 480 is even faster.

edit: after looking at the numbers.. they are damn close. closer than i thought. good stuff for sure.

u sure about this.. from everything ive seen the gtx 580 runs cirlces around 6970, hell even the 570 does. maybe im wrong but someone correct me if i am. im pretty confident my older gtx 480 is even faster.

edit: after looking at the numbers.. they are damn close. closer than i thought. good stuff for sure.

With both at stock, the 570 and the 6970 go back and forth depending on what application/game you are running (you could give the edge to the 570 since in the games it performs better in, it usually performs quite a bit better and the games it does worse in, it's only marginally worse). A sufficiently overclocked 6970 (which is essentially what he is talking about) would probably be able to go toe to toe with a stock 580, again, depending on the application/game. Your GTX 480 seems to run about on par with a GTX 570 most of the time, so it is roughly equivalent to the stock 6970 depending on the application/game. That said, it starts to struggle a bit when compared to the more recent cards in most DX11 games.

At the end of the day, it really depends on what you are playing... unless you have the GTX 580. It seems to beat out all the other single GPU cards in most cases. Of course, it's a good deal more expensive too, so it really should :)

Took me a while after I posted the deal, but I ordered mine yesterday... :D Along with the HIS card ($245) for some CF+EF action. Hopefully they're not too loud, I do have a side panel fan that'll be blowing cool air right at them, and there's two slots in between them.

I sat on it for a while, but I finally bit. Too good to pass up and I've been using this 9800GTX+ for too long now. :D

I bit. Thanks for the heads up OP.

I've had ATI for ages now... and its because they always have the best bang for buck.

4850 - 4870 - 5850 - 5870 - 6950

Can't wait to unlock this baby for some Crysis 2 action. 2GB of VRAM! LOL I remember when 2GB was a shit load for the entire system.

I know these cards are reference so they don't really differ from each other in terms of quality as of right now, however, can someone comment on PowerColor's customer service? I've never bought one of their cards.

Dang, I bit...back to red it is! Crossing my fingers that buying a Powercolor doesn't bite me back!

I bit. Thanks for the heads up OP.

I've had ATI for ages now... and its because they always have the best bang for buck.

4850 - 4870 - 5850 - 5870 - 6950

Can't wait to unlock this baby for some Crysis 2 action. 2GB of VRAM! LOL I remember when 2GB was a shit load for the entire system.

Good god I hope so, that was only like 3 years ago lol

I know these cards are reference so they don't really differ from each other in terms of quality as of right now, however, can someone comment on PowerColor's customer service? I've never bought one of their cards.

They certainly don't have the reputation of someone like XFX, but then again, XFX's head and shoulders above everyone else on the ATI side... I started looking around for threads regarding Powercolor customer service experiences after I made this thread and I found at 'least two cases of people getting an upgrade (newer gen card) when they RMA'd an older card, so at 'least that's encouraging. I've got no first hand experience though...

Back