HD 5870 Crossfire questions and bezel management??

FocalFury

n00b
OK
Let me start by saying this could be complete n00b issue.
CROSSFIRE
Quite frankly I'm not sure how to make sure my crossfire is working correctly.

I do have the cards in their proper slots according to my motherboard manual (Asus P6T6 WS Revolution)
I am on the 10.3a drivers (confirmed by looking at Kyle's screenshot of what the info screen should look like)

I have 'Enable CrossFireX' turned on in the CrossFireX portion of CCC

So I tried to play BC2 and I turned the AA up more than I'm used to and it just CRAWLEDDDD (FPS that is)

Then I tried Mirrors Edge
I turned AA on to 2x at 5700x1200 resolution and the frames per second went from 62 to 1.

Quite frankly I'm not sure if I have it all configured right nor do I know if I was supposed to do something different.

I think I need a Crossfire noob guide or just a way to make sure all is working properly. 2 5870's should be able to handle max specs on either of these games and they are struggling it seems

-----------
BEZEL MANAGEMENT
I am not given the option of bezel management after creating my group and clicking the blue boxes to arrange the monitors correctly
I'm using 2 Dell 2408's and 1 Dell 2405

Any ideas here??
just getting a bit irked as I have such awesome hardware and I don't think I'm utilizing it right
Calling on experts here, or anyone ;) ;)

D A N N Y

I did more research and downloaded GPU-Z, IT does show that I have Enabled 2 GPUs.
I am posting all of the tabs' screenshots in case anyone can tell me whats going on here:
What I'm not sure is why the sensor readings on things like on the core and memory clock are so different (or is that because i'm sitting here doing nothing that would push the system??)

Graphics Card 1
1%20graphics.gif

1%20sensors.gif

Card 2
2%20graphics.gif

2%20sensors.gif

I really appreciate your input.
Have a couple new games I'm ready to play now (Metro 2033, Mirrors Edge, more BC2) and really I don't want to start on those until I can figure this out!

D A N N Y

If you have enabled Crossfire, and have the crossfire bridge connector attached, it will work.
The fact that the CCC allows you to go to the Crossfire section means it's detected.
The cards power down in 2D significantly, in fact the slave card is essentially off and the master runs at the clocks seen on your screenshots.
Once you start a game, both cards will go to work. What I did was use ATI Overdrive and set the fan speeds on both cards to 50%, the master runs at 50% all the time, when I go into 3D the slave kicks it up and hearing that ramp up I know my Crossfire is engaged.

I am puzzled as to why your performance is so poor. I would suggest you do the following, it can't hurt..........go to the Catalyst driver page on AMD and download the 10.2 Crossfire profiles and install them. The one thing I haven't been able to find out anywhere is, do these betas or previews include the Crossfire Profiles?
This is a new thing for ATI and was touted as being a separate file that could be updated independant of the drivers.
I understand that "official"WQHL drivers include the profiles, but I just don't know about the previews, at any rate it can't hurt anything.

Now......bezel compensation.........I have two 2408s and one 2410 and have had no problems. Generally once the group is accepted and you test out the blue screen part, the next item up is bezel compensation.
BUT......some combinations just don't work....it has something to do with the EDID of the monitors, if they are too far off, it won't work.

The first thing I would try is the following...........click on Displays........click on the black triangle on the far right monitor in your group.........click on display group.....a box should come up then with the choices of:arrange,add bezel compensation,disable and add group.
Check this out: http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTI2NjM0OTI3OUNvTjhuUlc4SThfMl8zX2wuZ2lm

If that isn't working, I'd suggest reinstalling the drivers. It worked for me.
Download the 10.3a from the website,now use the uninstaller,go into safe mode,delete any and all files you can find that have ATI or AMD,run drivercleaner a couple of times,restart and install the 10.3a.

OK
so I'm going to uninstall EVERYTHING ATI that I can find
uninstall the drivers
drive cleaner
then I'm going to install 10.2 then 10.3a and we'll see where I get to.
If I still don't have bezel management i'm going to go 'borrow' my Dad's 2408 downstairs ;) ;)

I'll let ya know.
D A N N Y

OK
so I'm going to uninstall EVERYTHING ATI that I can find
uninstall the drivers
drive cleaner
then I'm going to install 10.2 then 10.3a and we'll see where I get to.
If I still don't have bezel management i'm going to go 'borrow' my Dad's 2408 downstairs ;) ;)

I'll let ya know.
D A N N Y

NONONONONNOooooooooooooooooo.
After the uninstall, and driver clean........install the 10.3a package, and then the 10.2 Crossfire Profiles (located here:http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx)

Looks like this:

102.jpg

Don't install two driver packages or it will be back at square one.
If all else fails, trade your Dad the 2405 for the 2408!!!

Last edited:
NONONONONNOooooooooooooooooo.
After the uninstall, and driver clean........install the 10.3a package, and then the 10.2 Crossfire Profiles (located here:http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx)

Looks like this:

102.jpg

Don't install two driver packages or it will be back at square one.
If all else fails, trade your Dad the 2405 for the 2408!!!

oops
startover time
but I DID test the bezel management
with 3x 2408's it works fine and im given the option
with 1x2405 and 2x2408's it does not work
WHICH I PURELY DON'T GET AND IS VERY AGGRIVATING
any ideas how to get this to work?
------------
redoing my steps and doing driver cleaner 10.3a and then the crossfire profiles
to test the FPS and stuff
----
BRB

D A N N Y

oops
startover time
but I DID test the bezel management
with 3x 2408's it works fine and im given the option
with 1x2405 and 2x2408's it does not work
WHICH I PURELY DON'T GET AND IS VERY AGGRIVATING
any ideas how to get this to work?

CCC only allows bezel management if certain EDID parameters are within a certain tolerance of each other. I don't think there is any way to force it.

redoing my steps and doing driver cleaner 10.3a and then the crossfire profiles
to test the FPS and stuff

The FPS tanking sounds like the cards are running out of VRAM. If you increase the AA slightly and FPS plumets - you're probably out of VRAM.

CCC only allows bezel management if certain EDID parameters are within a certain tolerance of each other. I don't think there is any way to force it.

The FPS tanking sounds like the cards are running out of VRAM. If you increase the AA slightly and FPS plumets - you're probably out of VRAM.

How can I be out of VRAM with 2 of these cards and AA at lowest setting?

Well.....
So Crossfire is definitely working I can confirm that now

What bugs me is on Mirrors Edge with the FOV fix and on AA 2x the game goes to 2 FPS
but it does fine without it.

I just gotta think that with 2 of these cards I could enable it.

So now its time to convince my Dad to trade me his 2408 ;) so I can have bezel management.

Yeah it's a Mirror's Edge issue. Any kind of AA at Eyefinity resolutions makes it chug. Luckily it's a pretty sucktastic game so you're not missing much. :D

If you feel like spending some time.......
you could attempt to force your 2405 to "look" like a 2408 by revising the EDID.

Read this: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=18597

I haven't tried this, but it has work for some people.
Maybe the official drivers will solve this BUT I doubt it. The WQHL drivers are set to be released next week and i don't think they are much different than these.

I sympathize about the FPS problems you see in some games, but I have also found if you put AA into any EyeFinity run game it really has a performance hit.
BUT..........check your CCC 3D settings, if you have chosen "edge detect" in the AA section instead of the default, it will force a giant amount of AA and that may be the problem........if I recall, 4xAA + edge-detect is something like 24x CSAA.....just a thought.

How can I be out of VRAM with 2 of these cards and AA at lowest setting?

Crossfire doesn't double the amount of VRAM. So if a single 1GB 5870 runs out of VRAM then 2 1GB 5870s in CF will run out of VRAM at the same settings. The data is duplicated, so even with 2 1GB cards you still only have 1GB of effective VRAM. The amount of VRAM AA uses is dependent on resolution. 5760x1200 + AA is going to eat up a lot of VRAM.

Back