HD 4870 1GB (DDR5) H.Q.

Denamian

Limp Gawd
The amount of information that I've been able to find one these cards is extremely limited. PowerColor has made it known that they will be pushing out a 4870 model with these stats (reviewed here), and HIS already has one up on zipzoomfly -- but I'm wondering about some of the other companies like ASUS, VisionTek, and Sapphire (I myself would like to get my hands on the ASUS card if possible).

Does anyone even know if any of the other companies are going to be running 1GB DDR5 versions of the 4870?

Either way, I would like to use this thread as a gathering ground for anything that can be found on any of the 4870 models. I put up the info I have so far -- anyone have anything else?

Thanks!

The other question that I meant to pose is: price. Does anyone have any idea how much any of these are supposed to cost?

The hardware zone review said that powercolor one has a MSRP of ~$490. If that's the case, I would rather just drop the extra $70 to get the 2GB 4870x2. Hopefully someone knows something to prove the hwz review's listed price incorrect.

Thanks guys!

ZZF is saying 340 something. this is stupid really, its a 100+ dollars over what you can get a 4870 for with little or no performance gains. I can't see this at all. does make the 4870X2 a little more attractive though

I just did some number crunching - comparing the ASUS 512MB card, and the PowerColor 1GB card. I have to say that I am NOT impressed (with the 1GB that is).

It only seems to be putting out framerate increases of about 5-7% in most games at 1600x1200 resolution - what I would be using (that's in 0xAA, 2xAA, and 4xAA -- the 1GB card reviews that I have been able to find so far don't go higher than that yet).

I realize that at higher AA levels, and with much larger LCD's, the 1gb will come in a lot more handy, but for my needs - and the needs of those like me - the 1GB version appears to simply not be worth the cost. Even if it allowed me to run the games with 12 or 24xaa with a larger increase... of, say, 15% framerate over the 512 version, the speed changes are merely numerical in nature. You're talking about maybe 6-8fps difference between the 512 and the 1GB at that resolution.

So unless you are using a large screen, and like to max out your settings, the 512 will probably suffice. If you do use a large screen with ridiculous amounts of AA -- I'd probably say that you are better off dropping the additional $200 to get a HD 4870x2 (if you have that big of a screen I can't help but imagine that you have the $$ to spend on the GPU to back it up).

P.S. Anyone that would like to debate this point with me, that has evidence to back it up, please do so! I was looking forward to the 1GB cards, so if you can prove me wrong here about the card, I'll be a happy camper.

I just did some number crunching - comparing the ASUS 512MB card, and the PowerColor 1GB card. I have to say that I am NOT impressed (with the 1GB that is).

It only seems to be putting out framerate increases of about 5-7% in most games at 1600x1200 resolution - what I would be using (that's in 0xAA, 2xAA, and 4xAA -- the 1GB card reviews that I have been able to find so far don't go higher than that yet).

I realize that at higher AA levels, and with much larger LCD's, the 1gb will come in a lot more handy, but for my needs - and the needs of those like me - the 1GB version appears to simply not be worth the cost. Even if it allowed me to run the games with 12 or 24xaa with a larger increase... of, say, 15% framerate over the 512 version, the speed changes are merely numerical in nature. You're talking about maybe 6-8fps difference between the 512 and the 1GB at that resolution.

So unless you are using a large screen, and like to max out your settings, the 512 will probably suffice. If you do use a large screen with ridiculous amounts of AA -- I'd probably say that you are better off dropping the additional $200 to get a HD 4870x2 (if you have that big of a screen I can't help but imagine that you have the $$ to spend on the GPU to back it up).

P.S. Anyone that would like to debate this point with me, that has evidence to back it up, please do so! I was looking forward to the 1GB cards, so if you can prove me wrong here about the card, I'll be a happy camper.

The logic is inescapable. And that increase can be equated to the overclock. They have a 4870 for 225 in the hot deals forum. Half a gb more is not worth $115 I just bought a GTX280 for the same price as the 4870 1GB. You can get two 4850 for less then that.

The 1GB 4870 is a new product with fierce competitors, there will be price adjustments, and be ready for true potential of this card: LN benchmarking!

More memory means better performance at higher resolution. So I'm not surprised there's only 6-8fps difference at 1600x1200.

I did not get a 1 Gig 4870 to get more FPS.
($314 at Newegg)

I got it hoping to be able to run "very high" texture
settings in Armed Assault.

Played with my Ati 4850-512 meg video ram and very high
textures,shaders etc. and had bad pauses with harddrive
accesses when I viewed a new area or turned around!.

1 gig video ram = NO pauses,NO stutters,NO texture flashing
Yea!!!

The 4870 is only a little faster then a 4850.
Not enough to make this kind of difference!

I am also now on a quad core, was on a dual core.
But both are 2.6 Ghz and ArmA only uses one core
anyway :(

So if your getting a new video card go for the Gig of memory.

jmc2

Powercolor version is $279 AR at the Egg. seems prices are adjusting appropriately.

All other brands are just at the $300 mark.

I had the Visiontek 4870 512MB card and replaced it with a HIS 4870 1GB card. Games are noticably "smoother" and the HIS card is actually quieter then the Visiontek.

I really think, like what many have said here already, it really depends on your resolution you are gaming at. the anandtech was interesting but was only showing at the highest possible resolution. the performance gains would diminish at 1900x1200 and most certainly at 1600. not saying it is not a great card but the anand review seems to have overlooked this. Currently i also see a larger difference than 20-30 bucks as you can get the asus 4870 512mb for 269 with free shipping and a 30 MIR.

Of course i only have a 3870 so using max AA is not something i have ever used to begin with :D

*edit* saw that in the data tables they confirm what i am saying and did in fact show the lower resolution outputs.

Back