HD 4850 X2 Review MSRP- $350

Sometimes it performs really well, but it doesn't win over the 4870 1GB or even 512MB across the board.. If I were to upgrade to a better videocard I'd probably get a GTX260 or 4870 1GB.

About what we thought. You gotta be at 1920x1200 or higher though. Even at 1680x1050 I'd still save the $$ and get the single 4870

The Q9450 used in testing is running stock. You might see better results if you pumped 4 Ghz or more through it. Not bad, though. I might bite once it gets under $300. If [H] loves HD 4850 crossfire, I can only see this card as an improvement.

You'd think HEXUS could throw in a few new games. :rolleyes:

I'm still liking the 4850 X2....for under $300 :)

Well I'd say it's safe to say that I'll be moving from my 8800GT to that little beast. Really nice numbers. Glad to see it's scaling well.

You'd think HEXUS could throw in a few new games. :rolleyes:

I'm still liking the 4850 X2....for under $300 :)

$300 would be great and maybe with a MIR you'll get there but again if they bring it too close to the price of the 4870 they'll kill off those sales numbers

I don't see the value here. As a single slot card, it's $150 more than a 4870 for roughly the same performance (unless you count putting up 50 more FPS when the 4870 is showing 100FPS already worth it).

For a crossfire set up, I'd drop the $50 more and grab two 4870's (or $50 less for 4850 crossfire), and at that point, you're in 4870x2 territory.

Basically, imo, it doesn't compete at the bang-for-the-buck level, and at the ultra high end, its price doesn't compete. It seems like a single PCI-E slot niche.

I'd like to see this versus 4870 512mb's in crossfire. That's the real question for me.

I don't see the value here. As a single slot card, it's $150 more than a 4870 for roughly the same performance (unless you count putting up 50 more FPS when the 4870 is showing 100FPS already worth it).

For a crossfire set up, I'd drop the $50 more and grab two 4870's (or $50 less for 4850 crossfire), and at that point, you're in 4870x2 territory.

Basically, imo, it doesn't compete at the bang-for-the-buck level, and at the ultra high end, its price doesn't compete. It seems like a single PCI-E slot niche.

I'd like to see this versus 4870 512mb's in crossfire. That's the real question for me.

This card really competes against the GTX280 both in price and performance

Based on the price, I'd rather get a 4870.

Yeah but we don't actually know the price yet. Its one thing to say MSRP its another to see it at newegg and put it in your cart. There will be discounts and rebates surely which come right after launch

I want to see what other vendors like visiontek, palit and diamond have to offer and what [H] has to say. :D

Speaking I was looking at Dual 4850s at 359 with 2 30 MIRs, I'll pay the bit extra and grab this instead, so down the road I can grab another and have CrossFire X and 4 GPUs. :D

So far my builds looking like -
Core2 Quad Q8300
Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
Radeon 4850X2
Corsair 750w PSU
8GB DDR2 800 G.Skill

Reusing my case, and all my drives.

Speaking I was looking at Dual 4850s at 359 with 2 30 MIRs, I'll pay the bit extra and grab this instead, so down the road I can grab another and have CrossFire X and 4 GPUs. :D

Core2 Quad Q8300
Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
Radeon 4850X2
Corsair 750w PSU
8GB DDR2 800 G.Skill

Nice looking build

my thoughts exactly.

I wanted to see a couple different games and I would have loved to see it at 2560x1600.

i remember when they said this card wasn't going to pose a threat to the gtx280 :D

my thoughts exactly.

I wanted to see a couple different games and I would have loved to see it at 2560x1600.

The only thing wrong with HD 4870 Crossfire is the amount VRAM. Gotta have more than 512 MB per GPU for AA at high res. You might get good raw framerates with 512 MB 4870 Crossfire...but is it prone to stuttering?

Core2 Quad Q8300
Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
Radeon 4850X2
Corsair 750w PSU
8GB DDR2 800 G.Skill

That is a great idea..............but...........right now I have 4870 X2s in Crossfire and ATI really needs to work on the utilization of all 4 cores. In theory it's mouthwatering, but in practice I have been disappointed so far, the Quad setup just isn't scaling.

I hope it improves as the drivers improve, but I'm not seeing that right now.

That is a great idea..............but...........right now I have 4870 X2s in Crossfire and ATI really needs to work on the utilization of all 4 cores. In theory it's mouthwatering, but in practice I have been disappointed so far, the Quad setup just isn't scaling.

I hope it improves as the drivers improve, but I'm not seeing that right now.

Maybe you need to upgrade your CPU?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1361441

So what's the power requirement for the 4850 X2? So far I haven't seen it. I've got an P5E-VM HDMI I need to get a card for, 500W Antech Earthwatts power supply. I've been thinking of the 4870 1Gig or GTX 260 (192 or 216).

As I mentioned in another thread, consumers will have to think of this in relative terms:

1. Is it worth ~$100 more than the 4870 1GB ?
2. Is it worth ~$150 less than the 4870 x2 ?

exactly what I would like to know. I already have a 4850. Would it be worth getting another 4850 or selling it and just getting this?

One of the reviews listed today does compare the two,apparently the 4850 Crossfire setup comes out ahead.

Good review here Enjoy
I would have gotten this over the 4870x2 if they had come out the same time.

"There is no doubt the pricing of this card was meant to attack the GTX-280 in the market yet again, and I would say it does a pretty good job. For a 5% higher price, you get roughly that much better performance; in some cases more, in some cases less. I think that it is safe to say that this card "beats" the GTX-280, even if it is not by a huge margin"

One of the reviews listed today does compare the two,apparently the 4850 Crossfire setup comes out ahead.

That's probably a driver bug because this seems to be an unofficial release by sapphire unfortunately. The extra vram if anything should give the x2 the nod over 4850 xfire. I'm hoping other vendors take after sapphire and release something nice and purdy with a black PCB and quite frankly I like to stay away from sapphire. Visiontek and Diamond for me. :D

As I mentioned in another thread, consumers will have to think of this in relative terms:

1. Is it worth ~$100 more than the 4870 1GB ?
2. Is it worth ~$150 less than the 4870 x2 ?

As well as it is better than the GTX280 for the same $

The MSRP of $350 is definitely competitive, especially against the GTX280. I probably won't get one simply because CF isn't as consistent as a single card (obviously). Still, I'd imagine with the 8.11 Cats this card will perform even better.

The MSRP of $350 is definitely competitive, especially against the GTX280. I probably won't get one simply because CF isn't as consistent as a single card (obviously). Still, I'd imagine with the 8.11 Cats this card will perform even better.

If the 4870x2 is an indicator, it shows that ATI can make a SINGLE card with 2 GPUs that performs better than 2 individual cards in crossfire. The 4870x2 is faster and better performing than 2 4870s in CF, so maybe the same is true of the 4850x2.

512 MB VRAM is still the limitation IMO.
one good reason why i want to see a comparison, to see if the extra vram is really making that much of a difference.

If the 4870x2 is an indicator, it shows that ATI can make a SINGLE card with 2 GPUs that performs better than 2 individual cards in crossfire. The 4870x2 is faster and better performing than 2 4870s in CF, so maybe the same is true of the 4850x2.

That certainly seems to be the case across the boards with all the reviews and benchies

Back