“HBO Now” Coming This Spring For $15 Per Month

HardOCP News

[H] News
How many of you out there would pay $15 a month for HBO Now? Seems a bit steep when you compare it to Netflix.

A source speaking to the International Business Times said that HBO will launch its standalone streaming service, called HBO Now, for $15 per month this spring with the premier of Game of Thrones. The company is also working with Apple to make Apple TV one of the launch partners for the service, the sources said.

Don't most cable companies offer HBO for $10 extra/month?

$15 a month is steep. HBO has Game of Thrones and what else? I can get Game of Thrones on Netflix for $30 for the whole season. I'll pass.

Yeah, even though the service is $15 a month via a cable provider, I dont think they should have done more than $10 MAX!

Yea that's excessive, sorry. As mentioned I'll just wait for the full season to hit netflix or somewhere else and buy it outright for that.

I almost want to get it just on principle to show that this is the way we need to go in the future.

For a lower price, obviously, but get away from the traditional cable business model.

Im not familiar with HBO's current streaming setup... does it include old stuff, or is it just current shows? I could see $15/mo if you got their entire catalog.

Hard to say without seeing the catalog.

I was all for whatever it is that CBS was doing until I saw that the catalog was not full and said "F that"

I haven't watched TV in over 8 years or so since my folks got rid of the CRT.

I'd still like true a la carte' options.

When you go to a restaurant, is it better to have a subscription to Olive Garden, when the only thing you like there is the Parmesan Pasta Poppers which you don't want to eat more than once a week? Or is it better to just pay for the dish you want to eat, and have a wide variety of restaurants at your disposal?

If I just want to steam Season 2 Episode 5 of Game of Thrones, then allow me to pull up your site, pay $1, and watch.

If I then want to watch Season 1 Episode 3 of The Knick, then again I get directed to the Cinemax site, pay $1, and watch.

And if you think that $1 isn't enough per episode, consider that there's a world population of say 50 million views over the lifetime of the product per episode (out of 7 billion + people that's not unrealistic), and ten episodes a season with say five seasons so $2,500,000,000 to pay for the production cost recoupement and profits for the Hollywood douchebags to buy their private islands, not to mention distribution of hardcopy sales they can still do for people buying BlueRay sets and then resell it to them again in upconverted 4K format a few years later.

Yeah, actually, on second thought even 50 cents is waaaay over their production costs per episode.

Don't most cable companies offer HBO for $10 extra/month?

The difference being you need cable. This $15 direct price is for cord cutters.

Funny how long people screamed for there to be a direct way to get HBO without cable, now HBO has done it and people still gonna complain. Never fails.

With DISH I think HBO is $19 / month if you don't have a discounted package.

Like Laureolus said $5-7 I could see but not $15.00.

That's about the price point I expected. I'm fine with paying that too. I wont keep a sub going all year.

I'd still like true a la carte' options.

When you go to a restaurant, is it better to have a subscription to Olive Garden, when the only thing you like there is the Parmesan Pasta Poppers which you don't want to eat more than once a week? Or is it better to just pay for the dish you want to eat, and have a wide variety of restaurants at your disposal?

If I just want to steam Season 2 Episode 5 of Game of Thrones, then allow me to pull up your site, pay $1, and watch.

If I then want to watch Season 1 Episode 3 of The Knick, then again I get directed to the Cinemax site, pay $1, and watch.

And if you think that $1 isn't enough per episode, consider that there's a world population of say 50 million views over the lifetime of the product per episode (out of 7 billion + people that's not unrealistic), and ten episodes a season with say five seasons so $2,500,000,000 to pay for the production cost recoupement and profits for the Hollywood douchebags to buy their private islands, not to mention distribution of hardcopy sales they can still do for people buying BlueRay sets and then resell it to them again in upconverted 4K format a few years later.

Yeah, actually, on second thought even 50 cents is waaaay over their production costs per episode.

I hope this is a joke. At $1 per episode, that would run a cost of FAR over the $15/mo to watch any single series of any show. You're out of your mind if you think people want to be spending the same cost of the Bluray box to stream stuff online at some stupid a la cart pricing scheme.

Nope.

I want one service, all content, one fee. Screw this nickle and dime shit.

For all the shows HBO has going on and the older shows(if available) this is a good price. I was hoping for under 20.

Now I'll be able to drop HBO from cable and the stupid digital plus thing I had to get in order to get HBO, should save about 12 bucks a month.

HBO's content is a WHOLE lot better than Netflix. I had Netflix for a while, but I could rarely find anything worth watching on it. So I cancelled it about three months ago.

It's a close call.
I think my HBO on Time-Warner is around 10 dollars.
For their contemporary series and movies it might be worth it......
My biggest gain is my kids at college can use my HBOGo account to watch Game of Thrones or whatever they want.

Obviously I get HBOGo because I have HBO on cable....essentially the same difference except with Go I get to choose when I want to watch and I don't have to be home to watch stuff on my tablet.

That said, a lot of HBOs older Original programming is on Amazon Prime....I'm watching the Wire presently.

HBO's content is a WHOLE lot better than Netflix. I had Netflix for a while, but I could rarely find anything worth watching on it. So I cancelled it about three months ago.

Seriously we only keep Netflix around for the kids now, we rarely turn into it. I'll be picking this up, we stopped our cable subscription last month and honestly this is a steal.

I don't care that Netflix has 100x more shitty shows/movies than HBO, I'd rather have better content.

The difference being you need cable. This $15 direct price is for cord cutters.

Funny how long people screamed for there to be a direct way to get HBO without cable, now HBO has done it and people still gonna complain. Never fails.

I know people suck long live HBO.. :confused:

Worth it to me. I'll sign up as soon as it's available. Netflix, Sling, HBO, Crunchyroll. Way more content than I have time to watch, but it's actually content I want to see.

Seems like a very reasonable price compared to what they charge with a cable package. Thinking they should price it LOWER than what they charge cable package bundlers is :rolleyes: This is obviously targeted at people that would be willing to pay what HBO usually costs, BUT they don't want to pay for cable. For those people it seems to be perfect. They are not going to offer something to cannibalize existing TV customers...

For me personally, I agree that HBO does not offer enough content that I would pay a monthly subscription -- but that's no different than why I wouldn't pay for it when I could have added it onto my cable package (when I had one). I am still glad they are offering this, and I might consider buying it just for the Game of Thrones season.

I hope this is a joke. At $1 per episode, that would run a cost of FAR over the $15/mo to watch any single series of any show. You're out of your mind if you think people want to be spending the same cost of the Bluray box to stream stuff online at some stupid a la cart pricing scheme.
Holy crap do you suck at math.

There are ten episodes of Game of Thrones per season. Season 5 will air starting on April 12th and engine June 21st. That means you would have to purchase 4 months of HBO Now at $15 a month.

Ten episodes at $1 an episode is $10.

4 Months @ $15 a month is $60.

$1, which again I think is still way too high and 50 cents is plenty, would cost you 1/6th the amount to watch a season of Game of Thrones, if you're not interested in the other HBO series running between mid April and late June.

If it's $15 A month just to stream HBO produced content, then the price is too high. If it were $15 a month to stream whatever content HBO has access too (ie the same movies and shows they are currently playing) then I would think about it. There are a lot of movies that HBO airs that are not on Netflix or Amazon Prime. If I could watch those, that would be a benefit.

Sorry, I meant "and end-in June 21st"... damn auto-correct. But in any case, you could watch 6 HBO show seasons in that 4 month period using $1 a la carte as you could with a $15 subscription.

List seven HBO shows you plan to watch during that time period, because I can't. And a la carte, I don't have to worry about watching on HBOs schedule, I pay $1 and watch an episode when I want to.

I agree with Ducman. I'd pay $1/episode to watch what I want. I am not going to be giving them $15/mo when I'm only interested in one show.

$15 a month is steep. HBO has Game of Thrones and what else? I can get Game of Thrones on Netflix for $30 for the whole season. I'll pass.

If the only you want it for is Game of Thrones than yeah probably not a great deal. But even your example, sure for the price of 2 months of the HBO now service you get rental of 1 season of Game of Thrones vs 2 months of watching whatever HBO has to offer which is way more than a season of 1 show.

I think it was unrealistic to think this would cost the same or less than Netflix. And I was expecting $20/month. I think $15 is fair, but I won't be in for 12months/year. (maybe six tops) And I would like to tap into True Detective and Last Week Tonight as well as GoT.

HBO contracted out to MLB Advanced Media for the technology. (they dumped their internal streaming/on-demand solution after several very public failures) It'll be interesting to see if this works next month when the 2015 baseball season gets underway too.

I recently called comcast to re-negotiate my plan. I xfinity internet and just local channels. I was surprised when they included HBO for free. Not sure how long it will last for but saves me $15.

As my cable box for locals is not HD I only get SD HBO from TV but use HBOGO for HD streaming.

Back