HBO Forces Netflix To Go Elsewhere For Its DVDs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Netflix's CEO: "We want to be like HBO, but better!" HBO to Netflix: Screw you, get your DVDs somewhere else!" Consumer: "More popcorn please". :D

If this kind of broadside is unlikely to make much of an impact, then why would HBO bother? Simple. This is a brush-back pitch. This is HBO signalling that it heard what Hastings had to say during an appearance at a conference in New York last month about how the rivalry between the two is just getting started. Jeff Bewkes, CEO of HBO parent Time Warner, is responding with a gesture. He's saying: That's fine, Reed, let's compete.

I guess I don't see how HBO and Netflix can be competitors. Sure, HBO lets you stream their shows, if you're subscribed to their channel as a part of a larger cable package.

So, Netflix will have to buy HBO DVD's from a third party vendor....how sad....yawn:rolleyes:

This is just annoying.

These nitwits don't seem to understand that what the consumer really want is ALL of the video content through ONE service and ONE monthly bill.

When the content is split between different services and having to have different accounts and different bills, it becomes an inconvenience.

When will businesses learn that what really wins customers is convenience.

I am currently a streaming Netflix subscriber, but I would NEVER sign up for a streaming service that just has HBO, or that Just has Paramount, or that just etc. etc.

The market would be best served if there were two or three streaming servies like netflix, not involved in content creation, simply licensing the content from the content originators. They could compete with eachother on the quality of their streams and the vastness of their catalog.

having every individual little moronic content creator get into self distribution only hurts everyone involved.

I'm sure HBO-Go fits into this mess somewhere.

Zarathustra[H];1038227262 said:
This is just annoying.

These nitwits don't seem to understand that what the consumer really want is ALL of the video content through ONE service and ONE monthly bill.

When the content is split between different services and having to have different accounts and different bills, it becomes an inconvenience.

I am currently a streaming Netflix subscriber, but I would NEVER sign up for a streaming service that just has HBO, or that Just has Paramount, or that just etc. etc.

The market would be best served if there were two or three streaming servies like netflix, not involved in content creation, simply licensing the content from the content originators. They could compete with eachother on the quality of their streams and the vastness of their catalog.

having every individual little moronic content creator get into self distribution only hurts everyone involved.

Except, that is a monopoly and those are illegal.

Netflix's CEO: "We want to be like HBO, but better!" HBO to Netflix: Screw you, get your DVDs somewhere else!" Consumer: "More popcorn please". :D

Wasn't aware that Netflix had any HBO shows to begin with, don't have Band of Brothers, don't have The Pacific, only thing I find entertaining on there at the moment is the first season of Archer, and Future Weapons/Discovery/History Channel shows, movies suck, nothing major from the last couple of years, just chick flick crap.

I think you missed the part where I said that the market would be best servers by two or three different services that compete based on content and quality.

I didn't mean that the market should consist of one service only, but rather that any one person doesn't want to have to go to different sources to get different tiles. They want it all in one place.

If that one service proves to have too few titles, or too poor picture quality, or the video buffers too much, then they can go to a competitor.

Most consumers don't want to have to subscribe to multiple different services at the same time.

only thing I find entertaining on there at the moment is the first season of Archer, and Future Weapons/Discovery/History Channel shows, movies suck, nothing major from the last couple of years, just chick flick crap.

Not HBO content, but I've been watching the first couple of seasons of Breaking Bad, which I highly recommend. What an awesome series.

It's taking every ounce of restraint I have to not get sucked in to an all nighter episode marathon.

Not if all contents are available from more than one sources. Blockbuster, Netflix and HBO can compete while having just about everything available for their customers.

Netflix streaming is all I currently use for my TV needs. For $8 a month its almost 1/10 the price i was paying AT&T uverse for a bunch of crappy reality TV shows. I agree Netflix streaming doesnt have a ton of big name shows, but it has a ton of good shows that I am rewatching or rediscovering. Shows that were at one time popular but i was to young to appreciate -- married with children, cheers, family matters , etc

I also enjoy family guy, cleveland show, scrubs, eureka, sons of anarchy, bunches of documentaries and such i enjoy. Ive been keeping an eye on hulu and amazon prime -- but so far they arent organized and easy to browse as netflix -- or also lack content

You don't have Band of Brothers? ...and you call yourself a man? :p

Oh I own the set, I just don't have patience for converting the entire set from region 2 to unlocked...I'll have to look into getting that and the Pacific on Blu-Ray.

Zarathustra[H];1038227262 said:
This is just annoying.

Wrong. They understand that this is what people want, but as no company is willing to go out of business just to make things easier for the public their understanding of it is meaningless.

Oh no, two companies are getting into a dick swinging contest. Hopefully this doesn't affect the subscribers who want to watch HBO stuff from netflix.

Oh I own the set, I just don't have patience for converting the entire set from region 2 to unlocked...I'll have to look into getting that and the Pacific on Blu-Ray.
Converting? Who still buys players that can't be hacked to multiregion? ^-^

These studios are just in a big hurry to fuck up their distribution models, eh?

Converting? Who still buys players that can't be hacked to multiregion? ^-^

Who was talking about players, I haven't found a multi-region program for Windows 7 yet.

The wife's laptop is Windows 7, if that isn't hooked into the TV, then it's all played through the PS3, or I'm stuck in the office watching the movies on my computer (which to be honest I don't mind as it has better sound quality, but the missus might want to watch it as well).

It appears that HBO is Origin and Netflix is Steam.
First thing I thought of too. All I want is Steam. I don't need 50 other crappy game clients I have to install just to play a game. I just need one and those are Netflix/Steam. Origin is evil and I hate it. I won't use it unless I absolutely have no other means to play a game, i.e. BF3.

Netflix sucks. So does redbox. Hell I went into the blockbuster thats just down the street and it was so nice to have a huge selection again. Redbox does not have it and Netflix is the same. Im not a huge fan of streaming although it is nice at times. Im old school and still like the media in my hands. This streaming only shit needs to die off.

I'm not about to pay for HBO stuff, other than Band of Brothers and The Pacific. AMC is proving you can have quality tv without charging.

I'm not about to pay for HBO stuff, other than Band of Brothers and The Pacific. AMC is proving you can have quality tv without charging.

i totally agree with you, but amc treats its directors, producers and actors like shit. Because they don't have the revenue to pay people like hbo does.

There has to be a happy medium.

i totally agree with you, but amc treats its directors, producers and actors like shit. Because they don't have the revenue to pay people like hbo does.

There has to be a happy medium.

I didn't know that. Well, there is always a downside...

Who was talking about players, I haven't found a multi-region program for Windows 7 yet.
AnyDVD HD does the trick. It removes both copy protection and region information as you load the disc, so you can use your usual software player or, as I do, use the built-in ripping feature to save the whole disc into your movie library and never need the disc again.

So since Time Warner is both the content provider and used HBO as a competitor to Netflix, if Time Warner shuts off all content being licensed to Netflix would that be an antitrust lawsuit?

So since Time Warner is both the content provider and used HBO as a competitor to Netflix, if Time Warner shuts off all content being licensed to Netflix would that be an antitrust lawsuit?

folks bitch at me because I want some regulations put in place now before it becomes a problem. content provider are slowly but surely becoming content producers, and over time consumers are going to get fucked.

unfortunately all markets needs regulation to prevent corruption, just a fact of life.

...and they wonder why people torrent their shows so much...probably because they keep making boneheaded moves like this. Make the content easy/reasonable to access then start cutting ties from the rest...not the other way around.

...and they wonder why people torrent their shows so much...probably because they keep making boneheaded moves like this. Make the content easy/reasonable to access then start cutting ties from the rest...not the other way around.
This. Buy why even bother when they can just hire a couple of lobbyist to buy off a few politicians, problem solved.

Bingo. I would pay $5/ month for HBOGO to watch their shows. But I have to be a subscriber via cable to get it!? Screw that.

Extra accounts and what not don't bother me. My players auto login and billed automatically to my CC.

I just got a Roku, and Showtime shows are on the Netflix channel, at least Weeds. Wise up, HBO. You're missing a big market here.

Back