HBO Confirms “Game Of Thrones” Will End With Season 8

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
As someone who still hasn’t seen a single episode of Game of Thrones yet—is this bad news, or something that should be celebrated?

The executive also confirmed that yes, the plan is for the yet-to-be announced eighth season of the adaptation of George R.R. Martin's fantasy drama to be its last. "Yes, I think [the showrunners, D.B. Weiss and David Benioff] have a very specific plan about the number of seasons they want to do," Bloys said. "If I could get them to do more, I would take 10 seasons but we want to take their lead with what they could do and what the best version of the show is." HBO most recently renewed the drama for a shortened seventh season — consisting of seven episodes — and producers have noted that they envision a total of 75 episodes of the series as a whole. Through season six, the show has produced 60 episodes.

Celebrated. Show is actually good but they should not just push the number of seasons to make it longer. Stick to the story, end it where it's supposed to end, and be happy with it. How many shows out there were extended beyond their initial story just because it was popular and it ended up ruining the story?

^ the HBO series writers are making the story after passing the released books, so it could be as long as they wanted it. Wrapping it up in 2 more short seasons is reasonable.

The funny thing is how fast all the children grew up in the series. Many started out older than in the first book, then twice as many years have passed in real world time vs through the end of ADWD (book 1 to book 5 was about 3 years), making the differences even more striking.

best television show in the history of TV...Breaking Bad is a distant 2nd place...nothing matches the scope, characters, storylines and amazing production work by HBO

They don't need him anymore to build characters and kill them off in increasingly ignominious ways.

It's all the new Game of Thrones you're going to get, since GRRM hasn't written any pages in 15 years. He's too busy blogging about the NFL.

As someone that has been following the books for 15 years and has been keeping up with his blog, there is nothing to indicate that he's quit writing. He's a perfectionist. He ran into a big plot problem and it's taking him years to work around it. He's been very open about this. He originally planned a multi-year gap in the story and then realized that it would force him to do tons of flashbacks, which he felt would ruin the narrative flow.

Martin works at a glacial pace and has lots of side projects going, but anybody that listens to him for 10 seconds can tell that he really cares about these books and wants to get them right.

As someone who still hasn’t seen a single episode of Game of Thrones yet—is this bad news, or something that should be celebrated?

Celebrated. Its better to have fewer quality seasons than a pile of shit spread out because TV executives wanted more money as is the case with shows like Lost or 24.

Definitely celebrated. I too have yet to see any more than the first few episodes and am anxious for the series to actually finish so I can watch the lot to completion.

We've all known this for some time now,.

Anyway, Rome was and still is my favorite HBO series, but GoT is somewhat-distant second. It's a shame how it's kinda been forgotten. I always like to echo what McKidd and Purefoy said here:
The Wertzone: James Purefoy and Kevin McKidd rule out GAME OF THRONES roles

Yes you pretty much knew the general plotlines from, you know HISTORY, but that's not really what made it so amazing

As someone that has been following the books for 15 years and has been keeping up with his blog, there is nothing to indicate that he's quit writing. He's a perfectionist.
There have been some screwups though. A certain someone has a magic spell applied through her necklace... but, oops, that person isn't wearing the necklace in an earlier season, and the magic still works. Or remember when the gold was thrown over the fire, and it melted faster than butter would have? There have certainly been little oversights here and there.

Rome was a great show but it only ran for 2 seasons so that alone puts it off my list

Yeah well some of the best series ever have been cancelled in their early life, while others far less deserving have dragged on for forever without actual reasoning.

But luckily I think by the time Rome was cancelled mid-season S2, they at least managed to sweep through rest of the intended storyline pretty smoothly in the very limited time they had (IMO the final episode showdown at Egypt was perfect) without it looking horribly rushed, or leaving it unopen.

I just wish they returned to it someday. But perhaps instead of continuing it where it left (the reign of Augustus) they'd go to say 2nd/3rd/4th century where the Empire is crumbling on constant civil wars and inflation, plus the Pagans persecuting Christians (or perhaps even Christians persecuting Pagans later on lol). Fifth century with the barbarian hordes and Western half of the Empire slowly collapsing into chaos could be interesting too

There have been some screwups though. A certain someone has a magic spell applied through her necklace... but, oops, that person isn't wearing the necklace in an earlier season, and the magic still works. Or remember when the gold was thrown over the fire, and it melted faster than butter would have? There have certainly been little oversights here and there.

Those are continuity issues not related to writing in other words whose ever job it was to maintain continuity goofed.

Never seen Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad. Whenever I go to the retirement home I will have plenty of new content to watch it seems.

best television show in the history of TV...Breaking Bad is a distant 2nd place...nothing matches the scope, characters, storylines and amazing production work by HBO

Shame I haven't been able to watch a single episode. HBO has a strong "mine Mine MINE!!!!!" boner going on with this series.

When it hits Amazon Prime, I'll see it I guess. If it ever does.

Yeah well some of the best series ever have been cancelled in their early life
Firefly, Rome, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Deadwood, Caprica, and The River just to name a few. Its a real shame when a show like Rome wins countless awards and has high ratings, but was just decided that it was too expensive to produce compared to reality shows that could be pumped out on a string-shoe budget.

The crappy shows that go on forever tend to be the ones that cost virtually nothing to make.

Shame I haven't been able to watch a single episode. HBO has a strong "mine Mine MINE!!!!!" boner going on with this series.

When it hits Amazon Prime, I'll see it I guess. If it ever does.

you could always pay for that new app- HBO Now or whatever the name of it is...there's a new HBO series coming out in October called Westworld (about androids!) and it looks amazing

A lot of people would disagree with that, Game of Thrones is good but its no SNL, ER, The Sopranos, The X-Files or Simpsons, according to Hollywood Reporter that title belongs to Friends.

Last edited:
Still in shock they are not going the full 10 episodes per season for the final 2 seasons.

couldn't get into it. watched a few episodes and was bored out of my mind. all I can remember is a lot of sex scenes.

Personally I put Black Sails ahead of Game of Thrones.

Eight seasons seems arbitrary since there are a ton of stories that could be told. On the other hand, the last season was the worst season they've done, indicating that without a book to go by, they run out of ideas. So its probably fine, but I'm not going to celebrate it.

My wife and I both like this show. That rarely happens. Last show we both liked was Dexter - great show (but I hated the ending).

I'm a Black Sails fan myself, but wouldn't put it ahead of GOT.

8 seasons will be enough, still waiting to see how Westworld will be on HBO. I'm a bit hyped to see what they can do with that.

Dragging any series out too long for no reason is a bad thing, HBO usually has a good record of when enough is enough.

I was referring to the books, not the TV show (since the comment was about his writing or lack thereof). GRRM isn't the show runner, director, or main script writer. His books are used as source material, but he has only written four episodes. From what I understand, the show has diverged from the books. I haven't watched the last few seasons anyways; I much prefer reading the books.

Sounds like somebody hasn't seen The Wire.

On the other hand, the last season was the worst season they've done, indicating that without a book to go by, they run out of ideas.
I suppose I should be happy that I'm not the only one to feel that way, at least 1-5 were good :)

It definitely felt too disjointed compared to the previous seasons, as soon as I got into a scene it was off to another one...

Rome was and still is my favorite HBO series, but GoT is somewhat-distant second. It's a shame how it's kinda been forgotten. I always like to echo what McKidd and Purefoy said here:
The Wertzone: James Purefoy and Kevin McKidd rule out GAME OF THRONES roles

Yes you pretty much knew the general plotlines from, you know HISTORY, but that's not really what made it so amazing
I loved Rome, too. My top 5 series are Rome, Banshee, Black Sails, Justified, Breaking Bad. Still want to see The Wire.

Two more seasons is the right number. Any more and you run the risk of dragging things out with too much filler. Less and you wind up with Rome Season 2.

Many of the threads seems to finally be coming together and I genuinely look forward to how things play out.

Still wish the books had been released first though...

On the other hand, the last season was the worst season they've done
Yeah, you could tell they were running out of ideas when they start fake killing everyone for cheap dramatic effect, but then they aren't really dead. When you do that over and over and over again, when someone dies the audience is just like "meh" as you've cried wolf so many times that its meaningless. Earlier seasons someone died and you were like HOLYSHTHOLYSHTHOLSHT!

I loved Rome, too. My top 5 series are Rome, Banshee, Black Sails, Justified, Breaking Bad. Still want to see The Wire.

I watch Rome through twice a year every year :D

I would say Breaking Bad is at the bottom of my ~25 favorite TV series, GoT probably around ~20, and rome at ~15. My actual top TOP series are mostly kinda niche.

Im with you on this, both these shows are in my top two.

Celebrated. Show is actually good but they should not just push the number of seasons to make it longer. Stick to the story, end it where it's supposed to end, and be happy with it. How many shows out there were extended beyond their initial story just because it was popular and it ended up ruining the story?
I don't know, how many did?

Well, the plot is coming to a head so I wouldn't expect the show to go much longer. End of Season 6 has Daenerys launching her invasion of Westeros after all. Winter has finally come. We are reaching the pinnacle and two more seasons sounds just about right.

Dragons vs. white walkers, bring it on!!!

A definite planned end is always better then a hasty sudden wrap up. And after 8 years, most of the actors hired to play the kids will be adult or near adult. My gripe is the shortening of the final seasons. Be interesting to know if this was always the plan or is a budget move.

The Knick with Clive Owen. One of the most brilliant series I've watched. All this talk about this show or that. Watch The Knick and be prepared for much amazement.

IMHO, Babylon 5 is the best show ever on TV.

Talking about that, a frame by frame re-shot of B5 could be HBO or Netflix next project. Just fix the last season and we are golden.

I know, wont happen, but a man can dream.

Back