HBO and Cinemax Now Available for Amazon Prime Members

If you have a household income of $150K or more a year, you are doing better then 90% of the country (not an exaggeration).

And as it is, $100K a year is barely middle class in most populated cities.

I don't doubt your success and independence, but being that we are all in technology as a hobby or a career we are probably from those more successful cities.

In Miami, FL $100K can give you a pretty damn good bachelor life in the upper middle class but once you throw wife and kids into the mix well you might as well cut those checks by more than half. But hey who needs a family when you've got HBO!

I wouldn't go the Cable route. For me, each premium channel is $10, but in order to qualify for premium channels, you need the Ultimate Package, which runs $150 per month. If you want DVR, you need another $10 package for that. And if you want On Demand, you need yet another $25 package for that. And for each TV, you need a separate box & remote, which runs $15/month. Bare minimum, you want HBO with DVR & On Demand, you're looking at a base price of $210/month. One year of HBO Now, or the new HBO channel, is cheaper than that.

*EDIT*

If you are willing to fight the cable company, you can cancel your service after each year, so you get the discount package, which runs about $180/month with all the Premium Channels, which is what most people who have them do I assume. It's just annoying that every year, you have to cancel your service just to get the new customer deals.
Well that'd be easy for me, because I have no problem not having cable...I mean aside from times that I've been in apartments that included it with the rent, I haven't had cable in over 10 years (and rarely watched it when I did have cable). That said, I'm surprised they require you to have some top tier to get premiums. I mostly did satellite in the past and it never required me to get an expensive tier to get premiums (though I only occasionally got a premium back then. All of the exclusive content makes them more compelling now, IMO.

So if they didn't deal, I'd just say, OK, cancel it all...your loss. I'd actually consider cable now if not for the fact that to get a good deal I'd have to get phone service too, and I can't justify paying for something I haven't had/needed in at least 12 or 13 years.

It does seem silly...your point anyway.

Besides the fact that many of us here make around $200 bucks per hour, $180 dollar per year for 20 years is $3600. If $4K over 20 years is going to stop you from retiring or create a budgetary crisis you need to stop picking strawberries for a living or whatever it is you're doing.
If you're making 200/hour, you're not even close to the median income...I mean that's what? 400k/year? That's top 1 or 2% of wage earners. The median household income is roughly 50k, or $24/hour, and the car isn't paid off and I'd be surprised if they have a college fund, much less one that's fully funded for the kids.

I think 15 is high, given that it's about that price on the satellite packages for a suite of HBO channels and Cinemax. You'd think for 15 you'd get both channels or at least off the pair for under 20. Then again, I'm not sure what's on Cinemax. Do they have original content?

I don't get the point of this "news." I have HBO Now already for the same price. Was this previously unavailable on Amazon streaming devices or something?

I don't get the point of this "news." I have HBO Now already for the same price. Was this previously unavailable on Amazon streaming devices or something?

Yes it's new on Amazon Video, as stated in the OP and article.

I might pick it up for a month at some point and blaze through GoT again. Only show on HBO that interests me.

Yes it's new on Amazon Video, as stated in the OP and article.

I might pick it up for a month at some point and blaze through GoT again. Only show on HBO that interests me.

I meant on things like the Amazon Fire TV, etc. I checked and apparently you could already get HBO on these devices (see e.g. this article from last year), so I remain perplexed at why this matters.

I meant on things like the Amazon Fire TV, etc. I checked and apparently you could already get HBO on these devices (see e.g. this article from last year), so I remain perplexed at why this matters.

Last time I looked at the Prime offers the only premium channel they had was Showtime. I think the HBO from your article was just declaring Fire TV being able to stream HBO Go, not as a part of Amazon Video.

I just got that email today:

Amazon Channels now Offering HBO Streaming
Now, Prime members can add an HBO subscription to their membership—and you can earn $3 each time your visitors sign up for a free trial. Since an Amazon Prime membership is needed to subscribe to channels, you can also earn an additional $3 bounty for every Prime free trial generated from your links—that's right, you can earn up to $6 per visitor!
We should form an HBO prime ring and pay only $12/month.
edit: Oh wait, that's a one time $3 bonus. lol.

Last edited:
If you're making 200/hour, you're not even close to the median income...I mean that's what? 400k/year? That's top 1 or 2% of wage earners. The median household income is roughly 50k, or $24/hour, and the car isn't paid off and I'd be surprised if they have a college fund, much less one that's fully funded for the kids.

I think 15 is high, given that it's about that price on the satellite packages for a suite of HBO channels and Cinemax. You'd think for 15 you'd get both channels or at least off the pair for under 20. Then again, I'm not sure what's on Cinemax. Do they have original content?

I know, I don't know a single person in real life that makes that kind of money. My doctor doesn't even bank $200/hr. The guy who owns the company I work for doesn't even pay himself $200/hr. I think it's crappy of Amazon to advertise this like it's some kind of special deal. If you already pay them $100/year you can pay an extra $180/year to get HBO. If you don't have Prime or don't want it, go buy it directly from HBO for the same price! Personally, I buy so much from Amazon at this point, I can't see a reason to not have Prime.

It does seem silly...your point anyway.

Besides the fact that many of us here make around $200 bucks per hour, $180 dollar per year for 20 years is $3600. If $4K over 20 years is going to stop you from retiring or create a budgetary crisis you need to stop picking strawberries for a living or whatever it is you're doing.

Ah yes, good ol [H], where everyone fucks 10's and makes $500k/yr. It's like the DuPont Registry for computer geeks.

Ah yes, good ol [H], where everyone fucks 10's and makes $500k/yr. It's like the DuPont Registry for computer geeks.

I made $400/hr setting up a router once. It took about 2 hours and the guy was a bit nuts and wanted me to whitelist everything he owned because he thought his ex-wife had investigators hacking him. I wish I could do jobs for crazy rich people like that more often. Other than that my take home is about $80K/year (on a good year). Would love to break into the 6th digit but I need to level up my charisma skill and unlock social engineering first.

I made $400/hr setting up a router once. It took about 2 hours and the guy was a bit nuts and wanted me to whitelist everything he owned because he thought his ex-wife had investigators hacking him. I wish I could do jobs for crazy rich people like that more often. Other than that my take home is about $80K/year (on a good year). Would love to break into the 6th digit but I need to level up my charisma skill and unlock social engineering first.
You should have worked slower ;)

HBO offered their suite of channels for $10 a month for nearly a year. That puts my monthly Dish Network bill at $64 a month. I get a basic suite of channels ( Welcome Pack ), HBO, Starz, Hopper 3, OTA/Locals, and guide access. Another $54 for ISP plus $18 a month for Amazon Prime/NetFlix. I've got more stuff to watch than I care to watch but still have to wait a year for some series, like Walking Dead. Dish is doing very well with their Flex Pack, which I might upgrade to but that puts me real close to the $150 a month limit I imposed on myself for entertainment.

Lol. I'm probably the only one this will actually benefit.

I have HBO now already, bought through Google Play, and Amazon prime . I only use built in apps on my secondary TV, and HBO now isn't available on it, but Amazon is.

Lol. I'm probably the only one this will actually benefit.
I have HBO now already, bought through Google Play, and Amazon prime . I only use built in apps on my secondary TV, and HBO now isn't available on it, but Amazon is.
So this will come from Amazon instead of HBO? I assumed that Amazon was billing you instead of HBO. If what you say is true, then I guess that's a nice benefit. I really don't know why HBO doesn't have more apps. None for Windows 8/10 either. That said, I'm not sure if HBO on the PS3 is actually 5.1 surround, which is kinda lame.

This. HBO NOW seems to have inefficient codecs that result in non-linear playback speed on my devices. Like it'll be normal speed for 10 seconds, then a split second of fast forward on and on throughout the entire movie/episode.

Any chance that your ISP has it's own service it would rather sell you? :cautious:

Wait, I thought you could drop HBO Now whenever you want. If so, then how has anything changed, other than you're paying Amazon 15 bucks instead of HBO?

I think I failed to make myself clear, I didn't mean to suggest you can't drop it.

I really don't know why HBO doesn't have more apps. None for Windows 8/10 either.

Well the windows app store is kind of a joke obviously since most users ignore it, so that rules out 8 & 10 - thank MS for that. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix pulled their Windows 10 app next year. That and you can always use a browser for Netflix on windows pc's.

So besides Android/iOS and set-top streaming boxes (Roku etc), what other apps are they lacking?

Last edited:
Well the windows app store is kind of a joke obviously since most users ignore it, so that rules out 8 & 10 - thank MS for that. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Netflix pulled their Windows 10 app next year. That and you can always use a browser for Netflix on windows pc's.

So besides Android/iOS and set-top streaming boxes (Roku etc), what other apps are they lacking?
Unless something has changed, a browser can't do 5.1 audio.

Can't you just get HBO Now for $14.99 at any time you want? What am I missing?
no you can cancel at will. That's the only way it's a good deal, IMO. You get it, today, binge on Westworld (and Game of Thrones if you're behind) then cancel.

Can't you just get HBO Now for $14.99 at any time you want? What am I missing?
Someone mentioned that it might be using Amazon's servers instead of HBO's, in which case the same price makes sense. I read through the details on their site and it does sound like this is accessing the same content via Amazon's servers.

Someone mentioned that it might be using Amazon's servers instead of HBO's, in which case the same price makes sense. I read through the details on their site and it does sound like this is accessing the same content via Amazon's servers.
DO we know that HBO isn't using AWS now?

HBO contracts with MLB, which does not use AWS for their streaming services.

Back