HBO and Cinemax Now Available for Amazon Prime Members

HardOCP News

[H] News
Amazon today announced the launch of HBO and Cinemax on Amazon Channels. Prime members can now sign up for a monthly HBO subscription to get HBO’s award-winning content for just $14.99 per month. Available today, Prime members can now watch the latest episodes of HBO’s newest hits including Westworld, The Night Of, and Divorce, catch up on all seasons of Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley, watch hit movies including Deadpool, Straight Outta Compton, and Steve Jobs, and tune in to VICE News Tonight. The HBO subscription on Amazon Channels lets Prime members stream HBO whenever they want – without the need for a cable subscription. Prime members receive a 30-day free trial and then pay $14.99 per month thereafter. HBO – including series, original films, miniseries, sports, documentaries, specials and a wide selection of blockbuster movies – is available to stream today.

I haven't had cable in a while, but don't you get HBO and Cinemax on Cable/Sat for about $17. I know this is through Amazon, but HBO Now is the same price and you'd think it'd be cheaper given that it's direct from HBO.

I got excited thinking it was just included. The option is nice, but I would rather continue using the inlaws account lol.

$100 ($80 if you got the promotion) / Year for unlimited 2 day shipping, Free TV streaming, and audio streaming too I believe? I forget what all is included in Amazon Prime.

vs.

$180+ / Year for the ability to watch/stream ONE channel (HBO/Cinemax). How stupid are you people?

$100 ($80 if you got the promotion) / Year for unlimited 2 day shipping, Free TV streaming, and audio streaming too I believe? I forget what all is included in Amazon Prime.

vs.

$180+ / Year for the ability to watch/stream ONE channel (HBO/Cinemax). How stupid are you people?

How poor are you people where paying $15 is a lot? There is a lot of good content on HBO, paying $15 a month isn't terrible if people want to watch it.

I'd be interested if Amazon were handling the delivery, I tried HBO NOW or whatever they called their standalone streaming service. It sucked real bad. During peak viewing hours (from 5pm on here in WI) it was essentially unwatchable due to constant buffering.

How poor are you people where paying $15 is a lot? There is a lot of good content on HBO, paying $15 a month isn't terrible if people want to watch it.

Hey $15 is a lot of money damnit!

Hold on, I need to pay my $80/month cell phone bill.

Ever wonder why companies love monthly reoccurring payments? They want you to forget about it so you just mesh it in as some kind of mandatory everyday expense instead of you having to make a direct decision on the expense.

It seems silly but it's true. And if you think $180 /Year is some kind of a drop in the bucket, something tells me you're going to have overall budgetting problems in your life. That or you're probably never going to successfully retire.

$180 per year to stream one channel is absolutely insane. I don't want to know how screwed up your finances are to justify $180 for having the ability to watch 1 channel.

I think it is more of how many different things do I pay $15 a month for? It is amazing how much can be saved and used to purchase new guns or pc parts if you cut out some of the fat from the monthly budget :D At least that is how I argue my purchases at home.

vs.

Ummm, I have Prime and HBO Now, and this new deal just means I essentially have the ability to drop my HBO Now subscription, and because I am a Prime member, add on HBO through Amazon Prime for an additional $14.99 as an add on service. It's not included with Prime, it's an addon you can pay extra for if you have Prime.

I cut the cord a long time ago and do everything over the Internet. I had a NetFlix subscription for years but at some point you realize you have seen everything worthwhile that they have so I cancelled and got HBO Now. In a little while I will finish with rewatching Deadwood, and the last season of Game of Thrones will run it's course, and I will unsubscribe from HBO and look for something else that will supplement Prime. And later I may go back to NetFlix for awhile.

And I love the low expense of this and the freedom to pick them up, binge my ass off, and drop them as I please. And I still save a ton of money over DirectTV and the endless commercials for anti-depressants and crap.

I'd be interested if Amazon were handling the delivery, I tried HBO NOW or whatever they called their standalone streaming service. It sucked real bad. During peak viewing hours (from 5pm on here in WI) it was essentially unwatchable due to constant buffering.
This. HBO NOW seems to have inefficient codecs that result in non-linear playback speed on my devices. Like it'll be normal speed for 10 seconds, then a split second of fast forward on and on throughout the entire movie/episode.

vs.

Two completely different services. Prime TV streaming is very limited and I haven't really touched it more than twice in a year -- and even then I had to freaking rent what I wanted to watch at a rather high price. HBO has a large catalog of movies to watch along with very popular original content. The smart way to use HBO is to pay for a month every so often and marathon watch what you want during that month -- except for Game of Thrones -- because you can't let everyone spoil the episodes for you.

This. HBO NOW seems to have inefficient codecs that result in non-linear playback speed on my devices. Like it'll be normal speed for 10 seconds, then a split second of fast forward on and on throughout the entire movie/episode.

Runs perfect for me. Must be a local issue. And I life out in the sticks in Arizona, smallsville.

Runs perfect for me. Must be a local issue. And I life out in the sticks in Arizona, smallsville.
This was on both an amazon firestick and on my desktop pc with the geforce 580. Haven't tried since getting the new video card.

Netflix on either of these is smooth as silk.

I've had some playback issues as well, on my gaming machine. No issues with Netflix/Prime.

A lot of America is that poor. Just not some key counties located on the coastal areas.

Nobody wants to talk about the real reason have been dropping cable the last 10 years. It's not because Netflix is ZOMGAWESOME!, it's because many families can't afford $100 a month. But you won't here the media talk about it.

Ummm, I have Prime and HBO Now, and this new deal just means I essentially have the ability to drop my HBO Now subscription, and because I am a Prime member, add on HBO through Amazon Prime for an additional $14.99 as an add on service. It's not included with Prime, it's an addon you can pay extra for if you have Prime.

I cut the cord a long time ago and do everything over the Internet. I had a NetFlix subscription for years but at some point you realize you have seen everything worthwhile that they have so I cancelled and got HBO Now. In a little while I will finish with rewatching Deadwood, and the last season of Game of Thrones will run it's course, and I will unsubscribe from HBO and look for something else that will supplement Prime. And later I may go back to NetFlix for awhile.

And I love the low expense of this and the freedom to pick them up, binge my ass off, and drop them as I please. And I still save a ton of money over DirectTV and the endless commercials for anti-depressants and crap.
Wait, I thought you could drop HBO Now whenever you want. If so, then how has anything changed, other than you're paying Amazon 15 bucks instead of HBO?

So Amazon Prime as a full-featured buyers' club service costs me roughly 10 bucks a month...but if I want HBO through it I have to pay 50% more?

Totally off-topic, but don't you love sites like Rapidgator and Uploaded.net?

Wait, I thought you could drop HBO Now whenever you want. If so, then how has anything changed, other than you're paying Amazon 15 bucks instead of HBO?
This. I got my hopes up at click bait title that it would be included. Fucking got my hopes up and everything.

A lot of America is that poor. Just not some key counties located on the coastal areas.
Nobody wants to talk about the real reason have been dropping cable the last 10 years. It's not because Netflix is ZOMGAWESOME!, it's because many families can't afford $100 a month. But you won't here the media talk about it.

1. You have a point
2. Many are dropping it simply because they don't see the value in it (*). I for one can afford it, I just don't think it's worth what they're asking.
3. Although I question why HBO costs more for streaming than on Cable, the fact is 180/year is not 100/month so presumably many that dropped cable for cost can still afford Streaming HBO...especially since you could drop it at will.
4. The media doesn't talk about families dropping cable, they talk about Millennial who've never had cable to begin with.
5. Netflix has a lot of the hottest TV content (albeit months after it initially airs), so if you haven't had cable for a year, Netflix may provide much of the content you want.

Eventually, streaming prices (aside from HBO), will go up. DTV Now is a loss leader and Netflix, AFAIK, doesn't make money. I'm not sure what Hulu does.

(*) 12 years ago I could get every non-premium channel I wanted (and much that I didn't) for about 35 bucks/month (after tax) and that was with no contract....not today Yes there are still relatively cheap 100 channel lineups, but they often leave out essential channels to force you to move to a higher tier and Satellite providers force you to pay for locals that you can get for free with a cheap antenna.

When you become an adult it's not about the money you spend but how you spend it. Value matters, $17 a month for HBO is not a good value. It's about priorities.

I have five college funds that are far better value.

I haven't had cable in a while, but don't you get HBO and Cinemax on Cable/Sat for about $17. I know this is through Amazon, but HBO Now is the same price and you'd think it'd be cheaper given that it's direct from HBO.

I wouldn't go the Cable route. For me, each premium channel is $10, but in order to qualify for premium channels, you need the Ultimate Package, which runs $150 per month. If you want DVR, you need another $10 package for that. And if you want On Demand, you need yet another $25 package for that. And for each TV, you need a separate box & remote, which runs $15/month. Bare minimum, you want HBO with DVR & On Demand, you're looking at a base price of $210/month. One year of HBO Now, or the new HBO channel, is cheaper than that.

*EDIT*

If you are willing to fight the cable company, you can cancel your service after each year, so you get the discount package, which runs about $180/month with all the Premium Channels, which is what most people who have them do I assume. It's just annoying that every year, you have to cancel your service just to get the new customer deals.

Ever wonder why companies love monthly reoccurring payments? They want you to forget about it so you just mesh it in as some kind of mandatory everyday expense instead of you having to make a direct decision on the expense.

It seems silly but it's true. And if you think $180 /Year is some kind of a drop in the bucket, something tells me you're going to have overall budgetting problems in your life. That or you're probably never going to successfully retire.

$180 per year to stream one channel is absolutely insane. I don't want to know how screwed up your finances are to justify $180 for having the ability to watch 1 channel.

This might shock you , but there are plenty of us out here who make enough to enjoy life and not have these screwed up finances you insist will happen. Cars paid for , mine and wife's students loans paid off , kids college funds taken care of , house almost paid for , and zero debt. With nothing in site but income growing even more.

Plenty of people who didn't make stupid decisions early in life are in a position where 180 a year isn't even a drop in a bucket.

I think it's screwed up for others to assume what value is relative to others finances.

I guarantee every holier than thou financial expert espousing the lack of value HBO costs , buys something that others would see as unnecessary and a complete waste of money.

Last edited:
When you become an adult it's not about the money you spend but how you spend it. Value matters, $17 a month for HBO is not a good value. It's about priorities.

I have five college funds that are far better value.

Lol, college.

I just got that email today:

Amazon Channels now Offering HBO Streaming
Now, Prime members can add an HBO subscription to their membership—and you can earn $3 each time your visitors sign up for a free trial. Since an Amazon Prime membership is needed to subscribe to channels, you can also earn an additional $3 bounty for every Prime free trial generated from your links—that's right, you can earn up to $6 per visitor!

Not only is it questionable to pay $15 for a single channel, but I flat out refuse under any circumstances to use their super shitty streaming app. It's buggy, laggy, bandwidth intensive, and a pain in the ass to keep working on linux. These companies need to join the 21st century or fuck off.

vs.

Reading comprehension fail

Terribly overpriced.

I get both on Fios for $10, and can watch them remotely on HBO Go.

Or just rent HBO and/or Cinemax for 1 month, once per year, and binge the season of the shows you watch. The seasons of these shows are now down to 8-13 episodes...so it's an "easy" day of watching.

It does seem silly...your point anyway.

Besides the fact that many of us here make around $200 bucks per hour, $180 dollar per year for 20 years is $3600. If $4K over 20 years is going to stop you from retiring or create a budgetary crisis you need to stop picking strawberries for a living or whatever it is you're doing.

I'm confused. You've been able to add HBO and Cinemax to Prime for almost a year now...

This might shock you , but there are plenty of us out here who make enough to enjoy life and not have these screwed up finances you insist will happen. Cars paid for , mine and wife's students loans paid off , kids college funds taken care of , house almost paid for , and zero debt. With nothing in site but income growing even more.

If you have a household income of $150K or more a year, you are doing better then 90% of the country (not an exaggeration).

And as it is, $100K a year is barely middle class in most populated cities.

I don't doubt your success and independence, but being that we are all in technology as a hobby or a career we are probably from those more successful cities.

Back