Hazro HZ24W mini review with pics :)

robbiekhan

Gawd
I have been in London all day so not had chance to unpack the monitor until now, and OH MY GOD! it oozes quality from the all aluminium shell to the out of the box brightness and colour, it's very comfy to the eyes at the default 68b/68c but for a nice neutral feel I dropped the brightness by 10 and it's awesome.

I doubt calibration will make a huge difference like it did with the VA panels, I can tell just from looking at it alone but will do so anyway as soon as the Macbeth Eye-One arrives tomorrow.

The past few weeks I have had 3 different 24" VA based screens (Dell 2408WFP, Hyundai W241D PVA, BenQ FP241W) and all failed to impress for viewing angles and some other issues, the BenQ came out top though after calibration and in general it performed the best as well whilst the Dell was absolute pants for mouse movement lag and oversaturated default colours.

The Hazro makes me feel like I have the Dell 2007WFP again, but bigger! S-IPS forever :D

The Hazro has:

- No backlight bleed at all - the pic below showing the backlight, may look like there is some but that's the reflection from my blinds, darkened as best possible in the room though!
- No gradient banding
- The world famous "IPS effect" - there's a kid of twinkling effect when moving around the screen not something that affects photo editing or usage though, only visible on an all black screen.
- No input lag, well it's the same as the Dell 2007WFP so it's good :)
- A dust magnet! hehe
- Likely to get peoples fingers chopped off by the owner if they put another finger print on the bezel >_<
- Gets warm to the touch all over thanks to the Aluminium case transferring heat out instead of blasting it into your face through the front like the BenQ did!

Pics:

Watched some Diehard4 in HD too which was great, no issues in movies at all.

Will be playing some TF2 later on tonight to see what gaming is like but am in no rush as I know it's going to be awesome!

The screen cost me £440, they said prices go up and down weekly and the other 2 people I know paid £20~ less than what I paid a few weeks ago.

It doesn't have HDCP but that doesn't bother me as I have AnyDVD-HD should I want to play Bluray movies on the PC when BR drives are under £50.

Thanks for the review.

Not only does the display look gorgeous, but your photos of it are amazing...

Enjoy.

Who cares about HDCP. If you want to PS3 it you can use component, and only in movies will you be forced to use 1080i or you can HD Fury over VGA. Big deal.

All the best.

Regards,

10e

I am not too sure really, It's an S-IPS panel but they don't mention the manf on their site, it could perhaps be their own? the IPS twinkle effect is not as golden as it was on the 2007WFP if that helps.

It's obviously an LG panel.

I'm pretty sure they are the only manufacturer of IPS screens at this size right now. Probably the same panel as the LCD2490Wuxi.

Regards,

10e

No,

I've been drooling since TFTCentral showed it, and I read my first review. Still waiting.

10e

It doesn't have HDCP but that doesn't bother me as I have AnyDVD-HD should I want to play Bluray movies on the PC when BR drives are under £50.
Is it possible to play blu-rays directly from disc using AnyDVD-HD over DVI?

Or do you need to spend a couple of hours ripping first to let AnyDVD-HD get rid of the protection crap?

Cause it would be an issue for me if you couldnt directly play from blu-ray (and no, i dont want to use dsub or other analog crap for it either ;) )

Congrats, robbiekhan!
Another IPS I won't be able to buy here (not because it is too expensive...). Gotta stay with BenQ (if it shows being a good monitor... better then LP2465).

Man I would so buy this if it was available in the states, this is exactly like what I've been looking for! Looks like a sexy screen too by it's design.

TFT is showing this monitor to have 32.5ms input lag:
hxxp://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/hazro/input_lag_hz26w.jpg

I've read some where that this is a Korean company, is this true? I'm in Korea currently and would like to pick up a screen.

hi - what's the price in UK and which retailer seels it atm?

finally, i need it for photo editing (serious enthusiast, strictly sRGB space), games/movies unimportant. any issues for my purposes? Been eyeing the NEC 2690 (since 2490 not available) or the Eizo SX and 2431 models but all S-PVA and pricy!

thanks

I am not too sure really, It's an S-IPS panel but they don't mention the manf on their site, it could perhaps be their own? the IPS twinkle effect is not as golden as it was on the 2007WFP if that helps.

it's a 24"WS LG.Philips S-IPS (LM240WU2) panel in the HZ24W.

I've read some where that this is a Korean company, is this true? I'm in Korea currently and would like to pick up a screen.

Believe they only supply them in the UK at present, but there is plans to extend to US at some point this year. At the moment, in the UK, you can only buy from Hazro direct.

is the 24" the only size the have?

They have 23", 24", 26" and 30" models.

TFTCentral have already reviewed the 24" and 26" models as follows:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hazro_hz24w.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hazro_hz26w.htm

nice review and picutre.

can you test your LCD with this and tell us the Black point?
Monitor Calibration Tests: Black Point

and what about the contrast "700"? how is the picture Qulaity?

already i have L246wp-bn which is MVA.
Does it deserve the switch to this Hazro?

You should be able to play directly the same way ANyDVD decrypts DVD encryption on the fly!
"should"... now that doesnt say much, does it?

I would be strongly suprised if PowerDVD or WinDVD would do it...

The newest version of PowerDVD for example forces DVD files to be in a VIDEO_TS folder.
Playing a DVD on a remote desktop (using RDC) does not work anymore either.

Both these limitations were NOT in older versions of PowerDVD

Just to make clear that programs don't necesarrely only improve over time...

The Media lobby is a powerfull lobby...

HDCP is coming this summer apparently with a new logic board revision, so it'll no longer be an issue. Personally I don't use my computer as a media centre, but to actually get work done (I have an HDTV for leisure time). For my usage pattern the Hazro is the winner hands down.

looks pretty and nicely designed.
hopefully they will find resellers in Holland...we can sure use some more IPS panels over here!

Just purchased one direct, £458 I think it came to, more than I wanted to part with. But I'm hoping this is going to be an awesome monitor

From the sound of it, Hazro's 24" is much better than its 30". I've had 3 of them, and unbelievably the first 2 had 20+ stuck pixels, and the 3rd has 2 dead pixels in a cluster which always looks black.

The monitor also has a weird flickering pixel effect which is just plain wrong. It's hard to describe. Looks like the monitor's control board is broken, as my 2405fpw works as it always has. So the 30" is going back and I'll probably get a 2707wfp with a dead pixel guarantee from Dell who I trust.

If the 24" has no stuck/dead pixels like you say then it's one amazing monitor, the quality of the panels Hazro uses are excellent if you can get a good one. Looks like you did! ;) They really need to clean up their QC on their 30" though.

Hi all,

Hazro is of great interest to me since i'm uk and an serious photographer looking for 24" LCD.

I was speaking with the tech director @ Color Confidence and he reckons PVA technology is making leaps and bounds whilst IPS a bit stagnant. For my purposes (photo mainly, all in sRGB web + print, no games/movies), he recommended the Lacie 324 assuming I buy a calibrator capable of tweaking it's internal HARDWARE adjustments (not graphic card) using the manufacturer provided software (extra $$$). It's still great without the calibrator & software but you won't get the best from it. The calibrator he recommended is the X-rite Eye 2 (my current Huey Pro & the Eye LT is not good enough).

They also sell the NEC 2690 but he felt there is more to a good panel above and beyond colour shift although he acknowledges that issue with PVA panels. I guess he was placing more importance to the calibratability of the screen than pure contrast shift.

I guess it all comes down whether I must have a IPS or will a superior S-PVA be better in other ways/overall and i just live with the colour/contrast shift. I currently have the A2 revision of Dell 2407.

Lacie 324 in UK is £780 + £125 for calibrator. Hazro is far cheaper at ~£450!

Thoughts?!

I was speaking with the tech director @ Color Confidence and he reckons PVA technology is making leaps and bounds whilst IPS a bit stagnant.

What a coincidence that he tried to sell you a PVA based panel :D

I'm sitting in front of an IPS panel now, and I really don't know how you'd beat it

Hi all,

Hazro is of great interest to me since i'm uk and an serious photographer looking for 24" LCD.

I was speaking with the tech director @ Color Confidence and he reckons PVA technology is making leaps and bounds whilst IPS a bit stagnant.
Thoughts?!

That cant be because the colour shift is a direct side effect of the PVA technology, there is no solution to this and it will always be the case. Either Samsung creates a new TFT technology or they start using IPS.

nice review and picutre.

can you test your LCD with this and tell us the Black point?
Monitor Calibration Tests: Black Point

and what about the contrast "700"? how is the picture Qulaity?

already i have L246wp-bn which is MVA.
Does it deserve the switch to this Hazro?

If you have an MVA and are happy with it then it's not worth the switch, it would just be a hassle on your funds and time to be honest.

As for the test, I can see from shade4 and up but could see from shade 2-3 if I had the brightness on the default, I dropped it to 52 from 68.

The picture quality is what you'd expect from a high end CRT in many ways (we used Lacie Electron Blue 22" CRTs at my old workplace) . It's an S-IPS panel so has superior viewing angles and text is very easy to read, no fringing like some screen and whites do not burn a hole in your eyes etc.

Good points aside it's not all plus points though! there is currently a few Vista issues with the Logic board/firmware (unconfirmed what part)

The 1:1 pixel mapping is flaky on Vista (and Vista only when using DVI), there is also a DPMS power save state mode issue in Vista and again when only using DVI.

I spoke to Hazro about it as did someone else on ocuk forums who has the 24" and Hazro want to solve the problem quick as ocuk are the only UK reseller now for these screens (stock very soon).

I'll be getting my screen replaced as soon as the issue is fixed by them either with fw update or new logicboard so of course a swapout for a new revision!

Hazro has been very helpful so far, most pro-active. I did think about refunding the panel until all vista DVI issues are confirmed resolved but It's hard to be without an S-IPS screen!

Btw here's an after calibration measurement report:

pc_TFT_Hazro_dEvalues.jpg

An average of 0.89 is excellent!

Lacie suggest a value of >3 = back to the drawing board as colour fidelity is not as good as it could be, <2 is good colour fidelity, enough to call the calibration a success and <1 is excellent colour fidelity.

I'm the other poster on OCuk forums, and as a testament to how pro-active Hazro are, they actually sent someone out to my house to run some tests (and replace the logic board) as I was the first one to report the Vista DPMS issue.

I couldn't quite believe it when they said they were going to send someone out, I was even more amazed when someone turned up. It helps that I'm only a 30 minute drive away from their head office, but that's not the kind of customer care you'd get from certain larger companies that provide LCD panels.

It's because of all that, and the amazing quality (picture and build wise) of the thing, that I'm willing to put up with the only defect that impacts me (the DPMS issue, don't use scaling much as not much of a gamer these days) until such time as they have a fix in place.

i buy, feel bad i paid so much for somethng that doesn't deliver the goods and return it :p the hazro though is staying, it makes me feel like when i had the dell 2007wfp for the first time!

I make efficient use of the 16day moneyback schemes hehe

lol nice. Thats kinda what I do with my screens. If I see these in the US ill have to get one. My 2007wfp is good right now though.

"should"... now that doesnt say much, does it?

I would be strongly suprised if PowerDVD or WinDVD would do it...

K. It does do it.

Atleast with HD-DVD... I used AnyDVD for my HD-DVD player and PowerDVD on XP with a Soyo 24" and King-Kong... played fine and looked amazing :D

Back