Havok Physics Based Spin Tires Makes Off Road Driving More Realistic And Very Difficu

Gotta say I'm not impressed to be honest. They can't even make the wheels turn at the same speed much less make mud bogging look very realistic. Is it closer to the truth than most off road games? Yes. Do people play off road games looking for "the truth?" Hell no.

It was a good start, but needs a lot of work still. I was very disappointed when my old ruts were disappearing when I drove away.

i hear the new mx vs atv game for xbox360 creates ruts and keeps them there... i wish i could play it. we need a 360 emulator...

Id have to say this would be better suited for a simulation environment rather than a game environment. Military simulation for soldier training would be best suited, as I hear those guys get their trucks stuck quite often. Theres even a unit specifically for getting vehicles unstuck when they get themselves in too deep ;)

Gotta say I'm not impressed to be honest. They can't even make the wheels turn at the same speed much less make mud bogging look very realistic.

Just to correct you, the tires should not spin at the same rate in a realistic simulation. The demonstration is correct in that if one tire can be stop moving while the tire on the opposite side continues to spin. In order for both wheels on one axle to spin at the same rate, even if one is stuck, you need lockers. Lockers well, lock, the two wheels together such that if one tire is completely stuck and one tire is, say, in the air, either BOTH tires will spin, or neither will. They're generally only found on custom off-road vehicles as they're very useful for rock climbing and escaping mud or sand.

Normal cars or stock 4x4 trucks don't have them because of the hazard they present to the typical I-have-a-4x4-truck-but-I-never-use-it type drivers. Imagine someone driving down the freeway in the rain, they turn on the lockers because the driver assumes the feature provides better traction (in a sense, it does), when in fact, at the first gentle turn, the driver plows into the center divider. In order for a vehicle to turn, the tires on the outside of the turn must move faster than the tires on the inside, if a locker is active, they must move at the same speed, thus preventing turning even if the front wheels are turned sideways (in which case they become more of skids).

My only complaint is this simulation should have a toggle key for lockers as those heavy duty vehicles should most certainly have them.

Wow, guys, come on.

At least it's more realistic than the physics in Big Rigs: Over The Road Racing.

i dont understand why this simulation doesnt have xbox controller support, and real time weather mapping. and shit, you would at least think multiplayer would be enabled...

It's a bit meh. The wheels literally look as if they, for lack of a better phrase, were shitting bricks. Also, when I turn a corner in my car, and then let go of the steering wheel, I would hope that it doesn't just stay where it is, but turns back so the car can go straight again. Even without power steering, this is a bit too extreme. And the ground is a bit too jagged and simple; hopefully if a DX11 version is ever made, tessellation can get rid of this. But otherwise, it looks quite good, even in DirectX9. I only have XP, though, so I can't test DX10.

ok for those of you saying its meh, it was done by a single person, pretty good job for that.

I posted this thinking about the future when stuff like this becomes standard in games.

Just to correct you, the tires should not spin at the same rate in a realistic simulation. The demonstration is correct in that if one tire can be stop moving while the tire on the opposite side continues to spin. In order for both wheels on one axle to spin at the same rate, even if one is stuck, you need lockers. Lockers well, lock, the two wheels together such that if one tire is completely stuck and one tire is, say, in the air, either BOTH tires will spin, or neither will. They're generally only found on custom off-road vehicles as they're very useful for rock climbing and escaping mud or sand.

Normal cars or stock 4x4 trucks don't have them because of the hazard they present to the typical I-have-a-4x4-truck-but-I-never-use-it type drivers. Imagine someone driving down the freeway in the rain, they turn on the lockers because the driver assumes the feature provides better traction (in a sense, it does), when in fact, at the first gentle turn, the driver plows into the center divider. In order for a vehicle to turn, the tires on the outside of the turn must move faster than the tires on the inside, if a locker is active, they must move at the same speed, thus preventing turning even if the front wheels are turned sideways (in which case they become more of skids).

My only complaint is this simulation should have a toggle key for lockers as those heavy duty vehicles should most certainly have them.

This is entirely correct but has nothing to do with the fact that the axles are turning at completely different speeds. This would imply driveshafts turning at different speeds. Regardless this is a nitpick but for a simulation concerned with accurate physics it doesn't seem very accurate at all.

Maybe it's the youtube video but the graphic is crap and the sound is a total bust too.

This is entirely correct but has nothing to do with the fact that the axles are turning at completely different speeds. This would imply driveshafts turning at different speeds. Regardless this is a nitpick but for a simulation concerned with accurate physics it doesn't seem very accurate at all.

It has everything to do with it. The fact is that driveshafts do turn at different speeds. Unless a car has a locking differential, there are many situations where the differential will send different amounts of power to each wheel and thus turn them at different speeds, or the road surface will be different and the same amount of power to both wheels can also result in different wheel speeds. The simulation is perfectly accurate to real-world physics and vehicle operation. Your assumptions about how power is transferred are flawed.

This is a very raw demo, I can see polished technology like this in Dirt 3! :) (wouldn't that be sweet?)

it would have been a lot more sweet if it was in Dirt1. actually, it would be sweet if games worked on gameplay and put the pretty things on the back burner but this is reality.

I like the direction the demo is going, add tesselation to this and I can see getting some very good effects going on.

the biggest issue i had with the demo was just the way the ground interact with the tires as it was making the ruts, in that the dirt would "crumple" away and then the tire would fal into the hole. It almost seems like it needs to be treated like a "very super viscous liquid" instead of bit and pieces of rubble.

Back