Havn't built a system in years, WOW DDR4 pricing !!!

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
My last system build was like back in 2012, system in my sig. Time to update the core parts.

Just looking at Desktop Memory prices, I am freaking shocked at the crazy high prices right now WTF ?

I was thinking if your building a new Gaming PC today, and plan to have it least for 5 or so years, I'd go with 32GB DDR4 ( 16GB X 2 ), especially if you going to be 4K gaming too, which I do. But WOW 32GB is running like $400+ !!!!!!!! Even 16GB ( 8GB x 2 ) is still $200+.

Seems motherboards, cpu's, ssd's, have all stayed around the same prices as years ago, no real change there, heck SSD's have come down in price, with the sizes larger, right now 512GB SSD is pretty affordable. But man the Memory pricing is outrageous, why ?

My last system build was like back in 2012, system in my sig. Time to update the core parts.

Just looking at Desktop Memory prices, I am freaking shocked at the crazy high prices right now WTF ?

I was thinking if your building a new Gaming PC today, and plan to have it least for 5 or so years, I'd go with 32GB DDR4 ( 16GB X 2 ), especially if you going to be 4K gaming too, which I do. But WOW 32GB is running like $400+ !!!!!!!! Even 16GB ( 8GB x 2 ) is still $200+.

Seems motherboards, cpu's, ssd's, have all stayed around the same prices as years ago, no real change there, heck SSD's have come down in price, with the sizes larger, right now 512GB SSD is pretty affordable. But man the Memory pricing is outrageous, why ?
You missed the boat 2yrs ago it was cheap, It's been going up ever since. The 3 manufacturers are choosing to build other products instead to keep supply low(which the econ genuis here thinks is not collusion, just a great business decision to have near record profits)

There is a thread here in this sub that has discussion about it

You missed the boat 2yrs ago it was cheap, It's been going up ever since. The 3 manufacturers are choosing to build other products instead to keep supply low(which the econ genuis here thinks is not collusion, just a great business decision to have near record profits)

There is a thread here in this sub that has discussion about it

Thanks for the reply, so it seems short in supply, high in demand = $$$

Sucks for me. I really want 32GB since I keep my base systems now 5 years or so. Only changing out the Video Card more frequently.

currently games are only just starting to use about 8G there nowhere near 16G yet so going a 2x8g kit should be fine and your better with 16G 3000c15-3600c16 ram than 32g 2133c15\2400c17 for gaming

for 4k gaming your current system is probably fine except the gpu for most things in 4k you need a 1080ti or two

Watch craigslist and facebook marketplace for memory.

It's not hard to find.

I find 16gb of DDR54 all the time for $100 - $125 used

The DRAM business has always been boom and bust, though. It was the same way when 15 companies were making DRAMs.

If you need more than 16gb for work reasons, it's a write-off.
If not, then trust but verify used ram.
I almost bought 32gb for $250 last week but I cant justify it for play reasons.

I'm kinda kicking myself for not buying an actual 8x8gb kit out of an X99 editing rig, $400 a few months ago from a video editor upgrading to 128gb.

ECC is cheaper than gamer ram now. Feels less painful to get 8GB for $100 when it works in unbuffered servers and regular systems. Some of it overclocks decently too, over sized gaudy heatsinks not required. Retains value and usefulness longer too. Ok enough self delusion, that is still too much goddamn money for 8GB in fucking 2018.

I could sell my ddr3 for more than I paid for it in 2012? 2010? I'd have to dig up old orders...so fucked up.

Pssst, hey buddy, trade you a bag of medicinal plant products for RAM.

Bc it's easier and cheaper to get weed than ram or a gpu.

Attachments

• download_20180308_164252.jpg
    download_20180308_164252.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 18
Samsung is building a new memory fab, but you have to wait 3-4 years before it starts contributing.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1249...ultibillion-dollar-memory-fab-near-pyeongtaek
They haven’t specified how much of it will be used for DRAM vs NAND and probably don’t know themselves at this time. Again, most don’t expect Samsung to increase production beyond keeping up with increases in demand, so it’s unlikely prices will come down as a result.

The DRAM business has always been boom and bust, though. It was the same way when 15 companies were making DRAMs.
Which is why the three remaining companies are careful to not overbuild, they would all lose tens of billions over a few years if they add capacity at a larger rate than demand is increasing. In the “drunk memory” thread I posted a link with a quote detailing how much more expensive it now is to add capacity, with an example that the capex required to increase DRAM capacity 90% in 2007 only increases capacity 20% today. This is the major factor in reduced capacity increases.

Well Hynix has my blessing screaming kit not even on hardly any QVL or list...and still pretty stable. Continue on with Samsung.

Back