Having trouble getting the net to work...

Canon

2[H]4U
Ok. I'm running the Fedora Yarrow distro through VMware. (I want to get a sneak peak before we mess with it in college so I downloaded the 30 day trial of VMware).

So far I've had the most success by setting the network setting in VMware to bridged and setting the network setting in Fedora to a static IP of 192.168.1.101 (an unused IP on my network, i'm running a linksys 802.11b cable/dsl router).

When I do this I am able to ping my windows XP (running on 192.168.1.100 on the network) and i'm able to get into the router config through the mozilla web browser. I can't understand why the darn browser can't access the internet though. I'm stumped...

If you need more information just say. I'm new to using linux and just kind of want to get a small head start before I start my program.

sounds like you need to set the gateway.

where you set the manual ip address, there should be an an option somewheres to set the gateway (i.e. your router's ip address) you might also have to set the name servers, but i'd only monkey with that if setting the gateway doesn't work.

route add default gw 192.168.0.1 eth0

No. Sorry I already had that put in there but it still doesn't work.

What do you mean by name servers? It must be something like that. It's odd that it can see the stuff on the local network but can't seem to access the internet connection (which is through the WAN port on my linksys router).

If the setup is anything like the BSDs:
In /etc/resolv.conf
add line like this:
nameserver w.x.y.z

(Use ipconfig /all in windows to see what it uses and copy that. There's probably more than one. Add one line for each.)

just to finish up the explaination;
*nix systems expect a list of dns (name resolution) servers to be in the /etc/resolv.conf file. it will go through the ones listed in order until a dns record is found.

Cool. A good piece of advice for sure. I guess i'm used to windows just automatically taking care of the DNS stuff. Thanks again for the help. Now I need to decide what I want to do with my virtual linux install.

Back last year I installed Debian linux on my P-100 box (16mb of ram, 1.2 gig SCSI drive, 6.4 GIG IDE drive). I got it running as a file server on my network which was kind of cool. But I forget all the console commands now so I'll have to look them up again and find something cool to do.

cloaked said:
just to finish up the explaination;
*nix systems expect a list of dns (name resolution) servers to be in the /etc/resolv.conf file. it will go through the ones listed in order until a dns record is found.

Actually it just looks for the first one to respond. It is not a fall back mechanism.. it's a failover mechanism.

Also, it will be done automatically for you if you use dhcp, just like windows.
(You have to set this manually in windows, too, if you don't.)

Now... how do you enable dhcp in fedora?

i think it will depend on the package installed, but on my slack 9 box it is (as root)
dhcpcd (dhcp client daemon). it is not dhcpd though, as that is for a dhcp server.

Back